kadogo

Updating SS card and DL to Real ID!

5 posts in this topic

We have just successfully adjusted my status from F1 to Permanent Resident through USC spouse. Green card (G.C) received 07.21.2021.(10 months after filling).

G.C name change to husband last name.

1. Social Security card - already have one received while working in campus with limitations “work under DHS authorization”. Need to update name and remove conditions. Due to COVID-19 restrictions, appointments are 3 weeks out. I went ahead and booked. 

2. My expired D.L was renewed early this year in Feb. Used i797 receipt showing adjustment in progress.Only valid for a year until Feb 2022. I would like to update my D.L. Appointment is today. Hopefully I can update to my new name and to Real ID without a problem.
Anyone with experience doing this? Do I need the SS card before updating the DL?

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Brazil
Timeline
4 minutes ago, kadogo said:

We have just successfully adjusted my status from F1 to Permanent Resident through USC spouse. Green card (G.C) received 07.21.2021.(10 months after filling).

G.C name change to husband last name.

1. Social Security card - already have one received while working in campus with limitations “work under DHS authorization”. Need to update name and remove conditions. Due to COVID-19 restrictions, appointments are 3 weeks out. I went ahead and booked. 

2. My expired D.L was renewed early this year in Feb. Used i797 receipt showing adjustment in progress.Only valid for a year until Feb 2022. I would like to update my D.L. Appointment is today. Hopefully I can update to my new name and to Real ID without a problem.
Anyone with experience doing this? Do I need the SS card before updating the DL?

They will most likely ask you to wait for your SSC to have the married name before applying for the new DL.

@kadogo I would bring your marriage certificate to show evidence of the name change. That should do the trick. 

I-751 Joint Filing.

06-15-2021 - Case was updated to show fingerprints were taken. 

05-26-2021 - Received NOA/extension letter. Notice date and postmarked 05-20-2021.

05-23-2021 - Received text message with Receipt #. YSC Potomac Center.

05-21-2021 - Checks cashed (processing on joint checking account)

05-07-2021 - I-751 received in Arizona.

Marriage-based AOS - Concurrent filing.

05-07-2019 - AOS Approved. Resident since date 05/07/2019.

05-06-2019 - AOS Interview

04-23-2018 - "Case is ready to be scheduled for an interview"

03-16-2018 - Priority Date.

• 1 month later...

My experience renewing expired D.L to REAL ID in Michigan. 
In year 2020/2021.

Renewals done at the Secretary of State. 
Jan, 2020 - booked appointment online by selecting open slots an day before.

1st appt - Took i797C receipt for I-485, marriage license, expired immigration documents (passport, F1 visa, social security card). 
All documents scanned and inquiry sent to SAVE for verification of status. Took 3 days for ok.

Renewed D.L. Limitations for 1 year, Not to be used for federal identification. Received D.L on Feb. 12th
Feb, 27th 2020 - received combo EAD and AP card. 
July 16th 2021 - receive G.C

August 2nd - went to SOS to update and remove limitations and get REAL id.

SOS advised to get name change 1st with Social Security Office and get system updated.

August 6th - went back to SS and file for new unrestricted ssc. Took GC, marriage. Certificate.

August 12th - went back to Secretary Of State to apply for Real ID.

August 17 - received SSC

August 23 - received new REAL ID.

Now, I am running around changing my name at the banks, insurance card etc

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.