JKLP

N400 Citizenship Interview June 2021 Experience

14 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, JKLP said:

Hello everyone. Im posting this to share my experience and as reference for others

First i was scheduled today 6/7/21 at 9:15am (in San Bernardino, California)

9:05am- went inside the uscis building (they wouldnt allow you in earlier than 15mins from your appointment time); 

9:10am- reception check in (i wish i brought my phone with me inside i thought it wasnt allowed but everyone has their phone with them)

9:40am- i was finally called for my interview

• Officer, asked for my passport (if i had one he said), driver’s license and green card
  • Started with reading test , “today is columbus day”
  • Followed by writing test, “ Columbus day is in October”
  • Then the civic test;
  1.  2 rights in the declaration of independence
  2. Number of voting members of house of representatives
  3. 2 parts of congress
  4. what does the judicial branch do
  5. who is the chief justice
  6. 1 war fought in the 1900s
  7. trick question; he asked if i voted before i said no then asked again if i already registered to vote and again i said no
  • Review of what is in your n400form
  1. asked for my first name, last name, middle name, then my ssn
  2. asked where i live, who i live with; (i had to give my other child’s birth certificate since she wasn’t included in the application initially)
  3. Asked if i was working, he then asked a follow up question of what i have been doing for the past 5 years since i just started working recently
  4. asked what and where my spouse is working
  5. Asked if this is my only marriage, and then if this is my spouse’s only marriage
  • No other additional documents needed
  • Final questions, where the standard if you were in a terrorist org, committed genocide, if convicted, if evaded tax etc
  • he said he will approved my application and to proceed downstairs for my certificate

10:00am - proceeded to the oath ceremony room on the ground floor to fill up form that said nothing change from the time of interview to the oath taking ceremony (questions on the form where the same as the final questions above); they will give your oath taking packet (basically some pamphlets about citizenship and passport, small flag and copy of oath of allegiance)

10:15am - Oath taking; Got my Certificate of Naturalization 😁

documents i brought with me for the interview are;

Original documents:

• Marriage Certificate
  • CRBA and Birth Certificate of my children
  • Spouse’s Certificate of Naturalization and passport
  • My passport; green card ( both my 10 yr green card and my 2 yr expired green card from when i was in a cr1 visa)

Copies of documents:

• copy of green card
  • copy of the original documents above
  • tax transcripts (4 years including 2020)
  • car insurance
  • mortgage; previous rental lease
  • life insurance
  • utility bills
  • Joint credit card statements
  • copy of passport pages with entry and exit stamps (if you went outside the us), visa page

note: they didn’t ask me anything but i brought everything just in case. That office used to not conduct same day oath taking but probably due to covid they do now, Which is more convenient for everyone.

Good luck everyone!! Thank you to everyone here for guiding me through my immigration process by posting their experiences. And now to pay it forward, i hope i might help someone who wanted an updated interview experience.

Congrats

2 hours ago, immoo2001 said:

Congrats!

When you filed N400, and when you done Bio?

I filed august 2020, then i got a letter last dec 2020 saying they reused my bio when i applied for i751 

• 5 months later...
On 6/7/2021 at 4:46 PM, JKLP said:

Hello everyone. Im posting this to share my experience and as reference for others

First i was scheduled today 6/7/21 at 9:15am (in San Bernardino, California)

9:05am- went inside the uscis building (they wouldnt allow you in earlier than 15mins from your appointment time); 

9:10am- reception check in (i wish i brought my phone with me inside i thought it wasnt allowed but everyone has their phone with them)

9:40am- i was finally called for my interview

• Officer, asked for my passport (if i had one he said), driver’s license and green card
  • Started with reading test , “today is columbus day”
  • Followed by writing test, “ Columbus day is in October”
  • Then the civic test;
  1.  2 rights in the declaration of independence
  2. Number of voting members of house of representatives
  3. 2 parts of congress
  4. what does the judicial branch do
  5. who is the chief justice
  6. 1 war fought in the 1900s
  7. trick question; he asked if i voted before i said no then asked again if i already registered to vote and again i said no
  • Review of what is in your n400form
  1. asked for my first name, last name, middle name, then my ssn
  2. asked where i live, who i live with; (i had to give my other child’s birth certificate since she wasn’t included in the application initially)
  3. Asked if i was working, he then asked a follow up question of what i have been doing for the past 5 years since i just started working recently
  4. asked what and where my spouse is working
  5. Asked if this is my only marriage, and then if this is my spouse’s only marriage
  • No other additional documents needed
  • Final questions, where the standard if you were in a terrorist org, committed genocide, if convicted, if evaded tax etc
  • he said he will approved my application and to proceed downstairs for my certificate

10:00am - proceeded to the oath ceremony room on the ground floor to fill up form that said nothing change from the time of interview to the oath taking ceremony (questions on the form where the same as the final questions above); they will give your oath taking packet (basically some pamphlets about citizenship and passport, small flag and copy of oath of allegiance)

10:15am - Oath taking; Got my Certificate of Naturalization 😁

documents i brought with me for the interview are;

Original documents:

• Marriage Certificate
  • CRBA and Birth Certificate of my children
  • Spouse’s Certificate of Naturalization and passport
  • My passport; green card ( both my 10 yr green card and my 2 yr expired green card from when i was in a cr1 visa)

Copies of documents:

• copy of green card
  • copy of the original documents above
  • tax transcripts (4 years including 2020)
  • car insurance
  • mortgage; previous rental lease
  • life insurance
  • utility bills
  • Joint credit card statements
  • copy of passport pages with entry and exit stamps (if you went outside the us), visa page

note: they didn’t ask me anything but i brought everything just in case. That office used to not conduct same day oath taking but probably due to covid they do now, Which is more convenient for everyone.

Good luck everyone!! Thank you to everyone here for guiding me through my immigration process by posting their experiences. And now to pay it forward, i hope i might help someone who wanted an updated interview experience.

Did they make answer all thecivics questions about the government ?

• 6 months later...
Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Iran
Timeline
9 hours ago, picaso34 said:

i am looking if i have to bring my spouse to the n400 interview.

If you are filing under the 3 year rule you should bring your spouse, if you have a pending removal of conditions (i751) along with your n400 case then 100% bring your spouse. 

If you are filing under the 5 year rule then you don't need to bring your spouse.

Under the 3 year rule USCIS may want to speak to your spouse so it is best that they are available.  

K1 Visa Arrived USA July 2017

Married August 2017

AOS Approved July 2018

Filed for i751 joint application May 2020

Fingerprints reused October 2020, and February 2021 and June 2021 (Yes 3 fingerprint notices)

Case move to National Benefits Center December 2020 for quicker processing from California Service Center

Oct 2021 out of processing time inquiry made, response May 5th 2022 that our i751 case will be addressed at our n400 interview

Combo interview May 16th 2022, in Sacramento

Approved June 08, 2022

Filed for Naturalization May 2021

Fingerprints reused May 2021

Combo interview May 16th 2022, in Sacramento, 

Approved June 08, 2022

Oath Ceremony completed June 29th 2022

10 hours ago, picaso34 said:

Hi JKLP, thanks for sharing your experience.

i just found your post because i am looking if i have to bring my spouse to the n400 interview. Seems like you didn't. Did you applied with the 3 years rule??

I am very confused now as if i can go by myself since my husband has to work.

Thank you for your help 

I did apply with the 3 year rule and yes i did my interview with my husband. I believe he needs to be there if its the 3 yr citizenship

Thank you guys for your comments!!

I had my i751 approved a couple months ago. We both were interviewed for a total of 1 hour and a half!

And i wouldn't like to make my husband ask for the day off at his job ( because he is just starting that same week) and then they won't need him or let get in the building because of covid. 🤔😐 

Did you have combo interview??

Read your letter. If it says bring your spouse bring your spouse. Our letter did not mention to bring spouse and I was not asked for. 3 year rule. I went anyway as I wanted to be there for moral support and do a victory lap on the way out of the federal building. So read your letter carefully and make your decision. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.