13 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, Woodpecker07 said:

Hello! Asking for someone else...

Is it possible to start K2 visa process when the K1 holder is already inside the United States (married or not). Or K2 is ALWAYS attached to a K1 process.

Yes.  The K2 should have been included on the I-129F petition.  The petitioner would have to initiate the visa process with the consulate (DS-160) within one year.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
1 hour ago, Woodpecker07 said:

Hello! Asking for someone else...

Is it possible to start K2 visa process when the K1 holder is already inside the United States (married or not). Or K2 is ALWAYS attached to a K1 process.

K2 can follow to join.  The limitation is that k2 visa MUST be issued within one year of when the k1 was issued 

1 minute ago, Jorgedig said:

Yes.  The K2 should have been included on the I-129F petition.  The petitioner would have to initiate the visa process with the consulate (DS-160) within one year.

Not just initiate but issued 

YMMV

3 minutes ago, Jorgedig said:

Maybe I didn't explain well. I meant: if possible not filing together in the same I-129F as K1, but petitioning the K2 child in a complete new process.

2 minutes ago, Woodpecker07 said:

Maybe I didn't explain well. I meant: if possible not filing together in the same I-129F as K1, but petitioning the K2 child in a complete new process.

No.  It would have to be follow-to-join.

Depending on the age of the child at the time of marriage, the USC could petition as stepchild with I-130.  Would take a few years.

But if I remember correctly, aren't the immigrant's children all supposed to be listed on the petition, even if no plans to immigrate?  

Edited by Jorgedig

2 minutes ago, Jorgedig said:

Depending on the age of the child at the time of marriage, the USC could petition as stepchild with I-130.  Would take a few years.

But if I remember correctly, aren't the immigrant's children all supposed to be listed on the petition, even if no plans to immigrate? 

Thanks!!! Yes I guess they have to be listed. I'm asking for someone else that is going to file for K1 but CAN'T/WANT add K2 for now (less than 15 years old girls of previous marriage).

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
12 minutes ago, Woodpecker07 said:

Thanks!!! Yes I guess they have to be listed. I'm asking for someone else that is going to file for K1 but CAN'T/WANT add K2 for now (less than 15 years old girls of previous marriage).

They list the kids on the K1 petition even if they are not going to get a K2 right away. The most important part is listing them on the petition, that does not mean they will be getting a K2 at that time. It's just a record of the kids. 

~~Moved to K1 P&P - from Progress Reports~~

Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

• Ontarkie locked and unlocked this topic
6 hours ago, Woodpecker07 said:

I'm asking for someone else that is going to file for K1 but CAN'T/WANT add K2 for now

The I-129F requires ALL the beneficiary's children to be listed.  Not doing so would be misrepresentation.  Please advise that someone to always be truthful on immigration forms.  Listing a child on the petition form does not require that child to immigrate as well.

26 minutes ago, Chancy said:

The I-129F requires ALL the beneficiary's children to be listed.  Not doing so would be misrepresentation.  Please advise that someone to always be truthful on immigration forms.  Listing a child on the petition form does not require that child to immigrate as well.

Yes, sorry if I'm not being clear... She will list her kids in her form, but she won't file/pay for their K2 visa. They won't immigrate with her: she wants to make K2 process for them after she enters United States, and that's what we were wondering about, if it's possible to start their K2 alone, and...

7 hours ago, Jorgedig said:

... I think this is the correct answer.

11 minutes ago, Woodpecker07 said:

They won't immigrate with her: she wants to make K2 process for them after she enters United States, and that's what we were wondering about, if it's possible to start their K2 alone

Yes, it's possible to apply for K2 after the K1 visa holder has already entered the US, assuming the child was listed in the I-129F petition and the child is below 21 years old.  That's the K2 follow-to-join process.

But the family needs to start the K2 visa application process as soon as possible because the K2 visa can only be issued within 1 year of the mother's K1 visa issue date.  After 1 year, the child cannot get a K2 visa anymore.  An I-130 petition must be filed to begin the child's immigrant visa process.

Once the k2 visa is issued there is a time frame (6 mos?) to use it. I'm not sure whether the k2 visa holder needs to receive the visa within a year or enter the US within a year. 

We did a k1 visa, and my now-husband did not enter the moment he had his visa in hand but instead held off a few months to wrap things up.

22 minutes ago, Daisy.Chain said:

I'm not sure whether the k2 visa holder needs to receive the visa within a year or enter the US within a year.

K-2 should be issued within 12* months of the K-1 visa being printed: https://fam.state.gov/fam/09FAM/09FAM050207.html "Time Limit for Child of K-1 Fiancé(e): USCIS and the Department have agreed that the child of a K-1 principal alien may be accorded K-2 status if following to join the principal alien in the United States even after the principal alien has married the U.S. citizen fiancé́(e), and acquired Lawful Permanent Resident (LPR) status. However, the cutoff date for issuance of a K-2 visa is one year from the date of the issuance of the K-1 visa to the principal alien. For the purpose of calculating the one-year period, the date of printing shall be considered the date of issuance. After one year, the U.S. citizen petitioner or the alien, (prior K-1 visa holder), if qualified, must file an immediate relative or second preference petition for the K-1's child. With the exception of paragraph (d) below, no additional exceptions are possible."

*for certain applicants that were affected by the Pandemic it's 18 months: "(d) Temporary Extension of Time Limit for Certain K-2 Applicants/Visa holders Child During COVID-19 Pandemic from 12 Months to 18 Months"

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.