yusef94

Does living outside of U.S effect R1 visa process?

14 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Iraq
Timeline

Hi everyone

I filed for VISA beginning of 2018

was DQ'd on September 2020

file currently at NVC waiting for ANKARA US embassy to reopen which it will takes forever 

denied expedite request twice 

The stress was unreal to the point I left my studies ( Radiology student at RIT)

I went insane and couldn't handle the stress and depression anymore so I booked a flight two weeks ago to go back to Iraq and live with my wife until they schedule her an Interview appointment 

I just can't leave her alone anymore, not in this country ruined by Iranian militia. 

We're mentally and emotionally better now since we're together but too afraid of the situation ( too dangers living here) 

my question is, will that effect the process of her VISA?

since I, the petitioner living outside of U.S ?

I'll stay here with her until they grand her VISA to go back together, will that be a problem?

Thank you all.

Edited by yusef94

Yes, it can affect the process. Petitioner has to be domiciled in US or show evidence of taking up domicile again. What home have you maintained in the US? Second, income has to come from US source, do you have a joint sponsor in the US? 

Timeline
4 minutes ago, SusieQQQ said:

Yes, it can affect the process. Petitioner has to be domiciled in US or show evidence of taking up domicile again. What home have you maintained in the US? Second, income has to come from US source, do you have a joint sponsor in the US? 

we have a joint sponsor yes since i didn't make enough money to file taxes ( full time student)

all documents approved and qualified, just waiting for an Interview  

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline
10 minutes ago, yusef94 said:

we have a joint sponsor yes since i didn't make enough money to file taxes ( full time student)

all documents approved and qualified, just waiting for an Interview  

That is irrelevant to the domicile question.  You MUST show evidence to the consulate that you have taken concrete steps to LIVE in the US after the visa is issued.   Sponsorship and income  is an entirely different matter.

Edited by Lucky Cat

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Timeline
7 minutes ago, Lucky Cat said:

That is irrelevant to the domicile question.  You MUST show evidence to the consulate that you have taken concrete steps to LIVE in the US after the visa is issued.   Sponsorship and income  is an entirely different matter.

my parents are in US, my school is in US, my banks accounts my car, I have no reason to live in Iraq and have all the reasons to live in US. The only reason why now I'm living outside is to support her and be with her I can NOT let her alone. It's a temporary thing until she gets her VISA not forever. I don't know what to show, like what? please help.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline
6 minutes ago, yusef94 said:

my parents are in US, my school is in US, my banks accounts my car, I have no reason to live in Iraq and have all the reasons to live in US. The only reason why now I'm living outside is to support her and be with her I can NOT let her alone. It's a temporary thing until she gets her VISA not forever. I don't know what to show, like what? please help.

A US address, bank accounts, voting records, driver's license, tax records,  all together, should be sufficient to show domicile (which is a requirement) since you are just vising your spouse..  

Edited by Lucky Cat

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Timeline
1 minute ago, Lucky Cat said:

A US address, bank accounts, voting records, driver's license, tax records,  all together, should be sufficient to show domicile since you are just vising your spouse..  

yes, I have an address, driver license, car in my name, bank account with money, school still didn't finish, parents, 2020 tax record, did vote few times

Thank you for your answer 

Timeline
13 minutes ago, SusieQQQ said:

Did you take a formal leave of absence from your school? Otherwise it just looks like you dropped out.

13 minutes ago, SusieQQQ said:

Did you take a formal leave of absence from your school? Otherwise it just looks like you dropped out.

tbh no, they don't give excused leave for more than one or two months plus, they don't approve my situation.

I completed this semester last month and did not sign up for next semester. I said to myself, when I come back I'll continue.

8 minutes ago, yusef94 said:

tbh no, they don't give excused leave for more than one or two months plus, they don't approve my situation.

I completed this semester last month and did not sign up for next semester. I said to myself, when I come back I'll continue.

Well, this comment interested me enough to check on it because i know my daughter’s college gives up to two semesters leave of absence for either medical or personal reasons. And RIT (you mentioned the name above) has a policy that a student is actually allowed up to 3 consecutive terms, including summer, to be on a LOA. So, I mean, whatever works for you works, but I don’t think the argument that you could not get more than a couple of months and that you can just go back to the same school is going to work. Obviously a non-flagship public instate will usually be a good option for picking up on an interrupted degree without too much trouble.

Timeline
25 minutes ago, SusieQQQ said:

Well, this comment interested me enough to check on it because i know my daughter’s college gives up to two semesters leave of absence for either medical or personal reasons. And RIT (you mentioned the name above) has a policy that a student is actually allowed up to 3 consecutive terms, including summer, to be on a LOA. So, I mean, whatever works for you works, but I don’t think the argument that you could not get more than a couple of months and that you can just go back to the same school is going to work. Obviously a non-flagship public instate will usually be a good option for picking up on an interrupted degree without too much trouble.

As for DMS undergraduate student at Rochester Institute of technology I asked and said I'll be fine as long as I come back and continue my studies, they won't excuse you while semester is running, told them about my situation and give me a huge CAN NOT

wanted to leave early and couldn't ,so waited to complete my semester as I mentioned before ( barely did good job because of depression and overthinking) and booked out , I know I can finish my other two semesters when I go back hopefully within 7 months maximum. 

Edited by yusef94

• 2 months later...
Timeline
On 5/29/2021 at 9:51 AM, yusef94 said:

Hi everyone

I filed for VISA beginning of 2018

was DQ'd on September 2020

file currently at NVC waiting for ANKARA US embassy to reopen which it will takes forever 

denied expedite request twice 

The stress was unreal to the point I left my studies ( Radiology student at RIT)

I went insane and couldn't handle the stress and depression anymore so I booked a flight two weeks ago to go back to Iraq and live with my wife until they schedule her an Interview appointment 

I just can't leave her alone anymore, not in this country ruined by Iranian militia. 

We're mentally and emotionally better now since we're together but too afraid of the situation ( too dangers living here) 

my question is, will that effect the process of her VISA?

since I, the petitioner living outside of U.S ?

I'll stay here with her until they grand her VISA to go back together, will that be a problem?

Thank you all.

Hi Yusef looks like we're in the same boat. We were DQ'd on September 2020 and waiting for an interview in Ankara. I last emailed NVC in December 2020 and they replied that our application was waiting for an interview appointment. I haven't heard anything else and on the official government website for embassy/consulate in Turkey, it says they're only providing immigrant visa services to Turkish Citizens and Turkish residents since February 4, 2021. It will be one year next month we've been waiting for an interview. It's super frustrating because I keep thinking something is going to change and nothing. It looks like even some Turkish residents/citizens may have gotten interviews but haven't received their visas. Has anything happened with your case? 

Married: 04/29/2019
I-130 NOA1: 07/01/2019
I-130 NOA2: 02/24/2020 (approved in 238 days)
NVC case #: 02/26/2020
Receive AOS/IV FEE: 02/26/2020
Assigned New Case#: 03/02/2020

Submitted I-864 AOS: 03/12/2020

Submitted DS-260 IV: 08/24/2020

Documentarily Qualified: 09/09/2020

Interview Appt: Pending

Timeline
19 hours ago, Potooo said:

Hi Yusef looks like we're in the same boat. We were DQ'd on September 2020 and waiting for an interview in Ankara. I last emailed NVC in December 2020 and they replied that our application was waiting for an interview appointment. I haven't heard anything else and on the official government website for embassy/consulate in Turkey, it says they're only providing immigrant visa services to Turkish Citizens and Turkish residents since February 4, 2021. It will be one year next month we've been waiting for an interview. It's super frustrating because I keep thinking something is going to change and nothing. It looks like even some Turkish residents/citizens may have gotten interviews but haven't received their visas. Has anything happened with your case? 

Nothing yet

Still at NVC

To this date, never heard anything, in fact they stopped answering my messages!!!! It's going to be one whole year waiting for an interview appointment, im sick and tired of checking their websites or even to follow up with any threads here so I'll just wait for an email from NVC which It will take forever, trust me. Covid is getting worse and worse and embassies are not doing what they're suppose to do. Im sorry to sound so negative but I'm sick and tired of waiting!!!!!!!!!! 

Edited by yusef94

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.