Evetskomplitz

Will biological mother’s consent letter cause visa refusal when the mother has become untraceable for 16 years?

17 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Nigeria
Timeline

I-130 petition under Stepchild IR2 visa category filed by my US citizen wife has just been approved and presently at NVC stage.

My Son, @Ayomipitan currently 16 years old, he does not know his mother because she abandoned my son when he was just 3 months old and refused to return to him till date. Son’s mother whereabouts is unknown and same I filled in the DS-260 form because I don’t want to lie she’s dead. I stated she’s alive but DOB and address unknown.

I raised him as a single parents and I sworn to an affidavit of single parents sometimes in 2017 when he needs to get an international passport.

I want to know if it’s compulsory for me to get the mother’s consent at all cost even when her address or whereabouts is unknown for the past 16 years? Will this Affidavit of Single suffice as a proof of custody? Will this hard-to-get mother’s consent letter affect my son’s visa approval? 

I will be grateful to receive a very helpful advise in this regard. Thanks in advance.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Normally it is a court order allowing you to take the child to move to the US or the other parent's consent. 

I do not know what the Affidavit of Single is. Is that something like having sole custody ? I know some countries if the parent has sole custody that is all that is needed. 

Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

Timeline
4 minutes ago, Ontarkie said:

Affidavit of Single is. Is that something like having sole custody

Nope, it doesn’t connote a sole custody. It is just a declaration of facts under oath that an event occurred. It is usually an oath to be sworn to in courts or before a Notary Public. I would like to know the US immigration laws position since that is the jurisdiction basis for most US immigration.

1 minute ago, Evetskomplitz said:

Nope, it doesn’t connote a sole custody. It is just a declaration of facts under oath that an event occurred. It is usually an oath to be sworn to in courts or before a Notary Public. I would like to know the US immigration laws position since that is the jurisdiction basis for most US immigration.

Actually the visa issue is often more based on local conventions, and can range from formal custody to a notarized letter to even just an assumption of custody (for a single mother) depending on country. You might get better info posting on a regional Nigerian forum to find out what other single parents have had to show. Good luck.

Timeline
2 minutes ago, SusieQQQ said:

You might get better info posting on a regional Nigerian forum to find out what other single parents have had to show.

I really wished I knew how to find Nigerian community forum on here. I would have loved to do that if only I know how to find such.

Timeline
4 minutes ago, SusieQQQ said:

There is a very broad SSA forum here https://www.visajourney.com/forums/forum/89-africa-sub-saharan/ but there may be more Nigeria specific forums elsewhere. 

I am checking 

Timeline

I-130 petition under Stepchild IR2 visa category filed by my US citizen wife has just been approved and presently at NVC stage.

My Son, @Ayomipitan currently 16 years old, he does not know his mother because she abandoned my son when he was just 3 months old and refused to return to him till date. Son’s mother whereabouts is unknown and same I filled in the DS-260 form because I don’t want to lie she’s dead. I stated she’s alive but DOB and address unknown.

I raised him as a single parents and I sworn to an affidavit of single parents sometimes in 2017 when he needs to get an international passport.

I want to know if it’s compulsory for me to get the mother’s consent at all cost even when her address or whereabouts is unknown for the past 16 years? Will this Affidavit of Single suffice as a proof of custody? Will this hard-to-get mother’s consent letter affect my son’s visa approval? 

was anyone in my situation and what papers could be presented when biological mother can’t be found?

I will be grateful to receive a very helpful advise in this regard. Thanks in advance.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline

****  two threads on same issue merged.  Please don;t post more than once on an issue/ question. ******

Bye: Penguin

Me: Irish/ Swiss citizen, and now naturalised US citizen. Husband: USC; twin babies born Feb 08 in Ireland and a daughter in Feb 2010 in Arkansas who are all joint Irish/ USC. Did DCF (IR1) in 6 weeks via the Dublin, Ireland embassy and now living in Arkansas.

mod penguin.jpg

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Malta
Timeline
On 5/18/2021 at 4:55 AM, Evetskomplitz said:

Could this "declaration of facts" be used in a secondary court case to grant you sole custody? 

USCIS

29 Apr 2020: I-130 filed online

11 Dec 2020: I-130 approved

NVC

17 Dec 2020: NVC Received

25 Jan 2021: Paid AOS and IV fees

14 Apr 2021: Submitted I-864, I-864A and DS-260

14 Apr 2021: Expedite request

04 May 2021: Expedite approved, case sent to Consulate in Naples, Italy

US Consulate Naples, Italy

04 May 2021: Consulate received

18 May 2021: Requested expedited interview

20 May 2021: Expedited interview approved and scheduled for 8th June

07 Jun 2021: Medical at Istituto Varelli (Naples, Italy) - Very friendly staff, spoke English

08 Jun 2021: Interview - APPROVED

09 Jun 2021: Picked up passport with Visa in person from Consulate 

USA

17 June 2021: Entered New York (JFK) as Point of Entry

17 June 2021: Landed in Arizona and reunited with my wife :) 

28 June 2021: Received Social Security Number

10 July 2021: Form I-551 (Green Card) marked as in production

15 July 2021: Form I-551 (Green Card) received in the post

Timeline
12 hours ago, Peter0907 said:

Could this "declaration of facts" be used in a secondary court case to grant you sole custody? 

Nope it’s just a statement under an oath. The problem here is that since the boy was 3 months old the mother abandoned him to an unknown destination. The last time someone saw her I heard she was married with other kids. Presently, there is no how one can fetch her to give a consent letter and the boy is now 16yrs old.

2 hours ago, Evetskomplitz said:

Nope it’s just a statement under an oath. The problem here is that since the boy was 3 months old the mother abandoned him to an unknown destination. The last time someone saw her I heard she was married with other kids. Presently, there is no how one can fetch her to give a consent letter and the boy is now 16yrs old.

How much older than 16 is he (just turned 16, nearly 17?)? Absolute worst case you can delay till he is 18 and then custody /consent becomes irrelevant. However given the facts of the case, I would think /hope you should be able to get a visa issued.

Edited by SusieQQQ

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Speak to a lawyer in your country. It is your country's laws that the CO will follow whether to give your son the visa or not. They will not violate your country's laws, so talk to a lawyer there and see if you even need a letter of consent or if you can get a court order allowing you to move your son to the US.

Edited by Ontarkie
Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

Filed: Country: Jamaica
Timeline

Each embassy is different, but writing an affidvit of the fact of her abandonment is important.  However, you need to prove that you were the one taking care of him as a child while you and he was in Nigeria.  That includes school records, doctor's records, etc..... Who paid for his care and well being?

Also there is no way you don't know her DOB, it should be on his birth certificate.

Edited by Pinkrlion

Phase I - IV - Completed the Immigration Journey 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.