Claireh703

How to change name on SSN whilse AOS pending

6 posts in this topic

Hello,

I have a social security card in my maiden name and filed for AOS in my maiden name and now want everything to be my married name. I also need a new license as I changed states so would love to update the name on that for which I need the social.  I've seen people ask about changing name at their green card interview but I'd love advice from people who have changed their name on their social please!  I don't have my EAD yet and my previous visa has expired so don't have current authorisation to work.

Thanks in advance!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Myanmar
Timeline

Name changes during the pandemic are the road to hell.  

I think your priority should be securing permanent lawful status.  

good luck.  

Edited by Mike E

8 hours ago, Mike E said:

Name changes during the pandemic are the road to hell.  

I think your priority should be securing permanent lawful status.  

good luck.  

Thanks for the advice, Mike.  It's still something I want to do though if it's possible and the visa stuff is ticking over nicely.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline
9 hours ago, Claireh703 said:

Hello,

I have a social security card in my maiden name and filed for AOS in my maiden name and now want everything to be my married name. I also need a new license as I changed states so would love to update the name on that for which I need the social.  I've seen people ask about changing name at their green card interview but I'd love advice from people who have changed their name on their social please!  I don't have my EAD yet and my previous visa has expired so don't have current authorisation to work.

Thanks in advance!

Changing your name is probably going to have to wait until your status changes to LPR. The SSA and many DMVs use the USCIS database (SAVE) to check your legal status. They have to find your name in USCIS records. Right now all they will find is your maiden name (based on your J1 visa) so that’s the only name that can be permitted on your social security card. If you successfully update at interview to married name for your greencard, then the USCIS database will update with the married name. SSA (and DMV) will find the married name and make the change. 

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

All you need is your EAD, your marriage certificate, and your passport. You can then set up an appointment at your local social security office. You may have to call a couple times and just ignore the people that say it needs to be an emergency ( I had to call 3 times). Then once your new name is on your social security you can then have your driver's license changed. Then at your green card interview tell them to change your name for your green card. I had to do this for my daughters. We changed their names after the AOS process started. It really wasn't that much of an issue. 

https://www.ssa.gov/ssnumber/ss5doc.htm

My wife came to the US on an F1 visa about 10 years ago.

05/19/2007 Wedding

03/11/2008 Mailed AOS

03/13/3008 Forms Recieved in Chicago

03/19/2008 Checks Cashed

03/21/2008 NOA's received

04/07/2008 Biometrics Appointment in Cincinnati

05/06/2008 I-765 and I-131 Approved

06/06/2008 I-485 Interview in Louisville, KY

06/06/2008 I-485 Approved :)

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

First mistake was filing for adjustment of status in your maiden name.   What you want to do would have been so much easier had you applied in the name you want to use.

YMMV

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.