Dadope97

Accidentally Medicaid enrollment & I-485 question 61

1 post in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: China
Timeline

Hi everyone,

Thanks a lot for your time in advance, I found this forum online and have been learning & getting a lot of help from here already!

I have a pretty stupid question to ask...I am an international student living in CA, doing OPT with my F-1 visa right now. Me and my wife (she is a US citizen) just got married the end of April and we are currently filing the forms and preparing documents for my AOS. The question #61 on form I-485 asked have I ever received any public assistance got me pretty confused and I don't know if I should check yes or no.... Here is the reason.

I was looking at Covered California for private insurance last December. Since I was unemployed and had 0 income at that time, the website automatically sent my info to the county office and I was approved for Medi-Cal (California medicaid). While I already knew the public charge rules at that time. I tried my best, cancelled my Medi-Cal in January 2021 and enrolled in a private insurance. I have never enrolled in any medicaid plan or used any Medi-Cal service. Some one might ask why I am qualified for Medicaid, I think in California they offered state-funded medicaid for people who doesn't have a satisfied immigration status...

While USCIS have revoked the 2019 public charge rules, I am pretty confused about whether this is still considered as a public assistance... I never had the intention of enrolling in Medi-Cal or any public assistance... Should I just check yes and attach a cover letter explaining the accident / reason?

Thanks again for all the help!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.