VinnyH

Return of the Naturalization Certificate by the Passport Agency

9 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: France
Timeline

Hello fellow VJ-ers,

What has been your experience re. the return of your Naturalization Certificate after applying for a passport?

- does the Passport Acceptance Facility staple it to the application and all the other application support documents?

- does the Passport Agency return the original Certificate in a full Letter envelope or do they fold it in two?

I am asking because my experience for applying for my younger son's passport, his original Birth Certificate was returned folded in a half-Letter size envelope.

Once I am naturalized (hopefully at the end of the month), I am wondering if I can provide a prepaid self-addressed FedEx envelope along with a rigid document holder for the return of the Certificate.

Has anyone tried? Is it even possible (maybe not at a USPS Acceptance Facility, but a a regular Passport Agency)?

Thanks for your feedback.

VinnyH

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

we provided a full size manila envelope (self addressed to us) so the naturalization document was not folded 

some have paid a fee with the passport application to pay for this

our 3 documents came back in 3 separate mailings  with no damage

Timeline
8 minutes ago, JeanneAdil said:

we provided a full size manila envelope (self addressed to us) so the naturalization document was not folded 

Thanks JeanneAdil for your feedback.

Did you do that at a Passport Agency? Do you have to ask for that option?

If I go through a USPS Acceptance Facility, can I ask for that option?

Thanks

VinnyH

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline
1 hour ago, VinnyH said:

Thanks JeanneAdil for your feedback.

Did you do that at a Passport Agency? Do you have to ask for that option?

If I go through a USPS Acceptance Facility, can I ask for that option?

Thanks

VinnyH

main US post office in our area had an office for passports and they can even take the needed photo

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline
11 hours ago, VinnyH said:

Hello fellow VJ-ers,

What has been your experience re. the return of your Naturalization Certificate after applying for a passport?

- does the Passport Acceptance Facility staple it to the application and all the other application support documents?

- does the Passport Agency return the original Certificate in a full Letter envelope or do they fold it in two?

I am asking because my experience for applying for my younger son's passport, his original Birth Certificate was returned folded in a half-Letter size envelope.

Once I am naturalized (hopefully at the end of the month), I am wondering if I can provide a prepaid self-addressed FedEx envelope along with a rigid document holder for the return of the Certificate.

Has anyone tried? Is it even possible (maybe not at a USPS Acceptance Facility, but a a regular Passport Agency)?

VinnyH

I applied through a passport office for an expedited passport and had the certificate returned in a large USPS envelope, not folded, not stapled.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Sweden
Timeline
On 5/9/2021 at 6:48 PM, VinnyH said:

Hello fellow VJ-ers,

VinnyH

I received my certificate back today, just two business days after receiving the passport.  It came in a letter sized manilla envelope, not folded or creased, great condition (my husband happened to be on the porch when the mailman showed up, had he not been out there to receive the mail, maybe the mailman would've folded the envelope to get it in the mailbox. Who knows). It was the only document in the envelope, so not stapled to anything.

It was however stapled at the USPS office when shipped off to the passport agency, stapled together with the actual application and supporting documents so it wouldn't get lost. 

Not an issue for me, it was already stapled to my name change document at the actual oath ceremony anyway.

I personally wouldn't bother trying to send a prepaid envelope, but it's up to you, you can always try.

K-1: 12-22-2015 - 09-07-2016

AP: 12-20-2016 - 04-07-2017

EAD: 01-18-2017 - 05-30-2017

AOS: 12-20-2016 - 07-26-2017

ROC: 04-22-2019 - 04-22-2020
Naturalization: 05-01-2020 - 03-16-2021

U.S. passport: 03-30-2021 - 05-08-2021

En livstid i krig. Göteborg killed it. Epic:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WBs3G1PvyfM&ab_channel=Sabaton

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: India
Timeline
On 5/9/2021 at 6:57 PM, JeanneAdil said:

This is a very good information. Here my learning points are 

While applying in USPS office, we can provide a pre-paid, letter sized return envelope in which the passport agency can dispatch our certificate.

Not sure we can provide separate such prepaid envelopes for passport, passport card etc?

Just in case if I am right, we can also buy insurance for our return envelopes in USPS:  Shipping Insurance and Delivery Services | USPS Someone can try and update if this is correct or not.

My USC Journey noteshttps://tinyurl.com/myUSCNotes 

Citizenship: Completed SFO/CA(Details: Click the hidden content below)

Spoiler

Nov 31, 2020 (Day 00): Submitted N400 Application, filed online.

Dec 07, 2020 (Day 08): NOA Receipt received in the mail.

Feb 19, 2021 (Day 82): Biometrics reuse notice received online.

Dec 22, 2021 (Day 387) Interview is  scheduled for 01/25/2022.

Jan 25, 2021 (Day 420) Interview and Oath is completed.

Passport: Completed (Details: Click the hidden content below)

Spoiler

Jan 26, 2022 (Day 00): Submitted Application at USPS - Regular speed.

Feb 01, 2022 (Day 06): DOS received (status: in process) Locator 69: New Hampshire: Old Gen Passport to come.

Feb 23, 2022 (Day 28) :  Approved on DOS site.

Feb 28, 2022 (Day 33) :  Received the passport - Old Gen.

Mar 01, 2022 (Day 34) :  Received the passport card.

Mar 04, 2022 (Day 37) :  Received the original Naturalization Certificate safely.

SS Updates: In Progress (Details: Click the hidden content below)

Spoiler

Feb 29, 2022 (Day 00) :  Received the passport card, used it for SS updates request on the same day.

Timeline
2 minutes ago, ImmiGeek said:

This is a very good information. Here my learning points are 

While applying in USPS office, we can provide a pre-paid, letter sized return envelope in which the passport agency can dispatch our certificate.

Not sure we can provide separate such prepaid envelopes for passport, passport card etc?

Just in case if I am right, we can also buy insurance for our return envelopes in USPS:  Shipping Insurance and Delivery Services | USPS Someone can try and update if this is correct or not.

That's absolutely great to know!

I have written to the email address of the passport agency to get more info.

If I provide a prepaid rigid full size envelope, how will the USPS Acceptance Facility include it in the application package though? They staple everything but the envelope won't be able to get stapled...

I also asked whether it could be FedEx or does have to be USPS.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: India
Timeline
1 minute ago, VinnyH said:

That's absolutely great to know!

I have written to the email address of the passport agency to get more info.

If I provide a prepaid rigid full size envelope, how will the USPS Acceptance Facility include it in the application package though? They staple everything but the envelope won't be able to get stapled...

I also asked whether it could be FedEx or does have to be USPS.

Rock on.. good going. Keep us updated what you get the email response.

I dont think FedEx OR any other non USPS would work.

Passport agency is a federal agency, they work with fixed vendors for services, USPS is also a federal agency.. Unless and otherwise they had FedEx pickup arrangement, I dont think so.

But if DOS(Passport agency) accepts a pre-paid, pre insured USPS envelope, that would solve many of these issues (since Insurance would cover the lost NC costs if we insure it for around $1000) 

My USC Journey noteshttps://tinyurl.com/myUSCNotes 

Citizenship: Completed SFO/CA(Details: Click the hidden content below)

Spoiler

Nov 31, 2020 (Day 00): Submitted N400 Application, filed online.

Dec 07, 2020 (Day 08): NOA Receipt received in the mail.

Feb 19, 2021 (Day 82): Biometrics reuse notice received online.

Dec 22, 2021 (Day 387) Interview is  scheduled for 01/25/2022.

Jan 25, 2021 (Day 420) Interview and Oath is completed.

Passport: Completed (Details: Click the hidden content below)

Spoiler

Jan 26, 2022 (Day 00): Submitted Application at USPS - Regular speed.

Feb 01, 2022 (Day 06): DOS received (status: in process) Locator 69: New Hampshire: Old Gen Passport to come.

Feb 23, 2022 (Day 28) :  Approved on DOS site.

Feb 28, 2022 (Day 33) :  Received the passport - Old Gen.

Mar 01, 2022 (Day 34) :  Received the passport card.

Mar 04, 2022 (Day 37) :  Received the original Naturalization Certificate safely.

SS Updates: In Progress (Details: Click the hidden content below)

Spoiler

Feb 29, 2022 (Day 00) :  Received the passport card, used it for SS updates request on the same day.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.