xKristenBx

Affidavit of support, i-134, i-864 and i-864a questions...

5 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: England
Timeline

Hi everyone

I have a couple questions about the affidavit of support...

Due to covid-19 my income is way below the required amount. I only worked a few weeks in 2020 (i'm immunocompromised so I locked myself down early) My total 2020 income is less than $2,500 and I only have around $4,000 left in savings + $3,000 in stocks. I'll be returning to work full time after I receive my second vaccine dose, but I don't think I'll have enough paystubs by his interview date to put me over the minimum on my own.

My mother is willing to co-sponsor and makes around 70k per year and my fiance has around 40k in savings. (I've heard that he can self sponsor in London??) So I'm hoping between the 3 of us it will be enough.

Anyway, my question is; which forms do I need to fill out for them? I've filled out my i-134 and have started the i-864, but do I need to fill out an additional i-864 for each of them? Or do I just fill out my i-864 and then the i-864a for my mother & fiance? And for my fiance, what proof will they accept for his savings? Does it need to be a letter from his bank stating the balance or will a bank statement be enough?

Sorry for all the questions and thank you in advance for the help! 

Filed: Country: Vietnam (no flag)
Timeline

Your fiance will be interviewing for a K-1, so you need to file an I-134.  Your mother would file a separate I-134.

Once you are married and your spouse files to adjust status, you will file an I-864 and your mother as the Joint Sponsor would file a separate I-864.

Timeline
2 minutes ago, aaron2020 said:

Your fiance will be interviewing for a K-1, so you need to file an I-134.  Your mother would file a separate I-134.

Once you are married and your spouse files to adjust status, you will file an I-864 and your mother as the Joint Sponsor would file a separate I-864.

That's what I originally thought we needed to do, but when we rescheduled our appointment it only mentioned the i-864 and nothing about the i-134 so I started doubting myself on everything. Thank you! 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline
On 4/29/2021 at 8:45 PM, xKristenBx said:

I'll be returning to work full time after I receive my second vaccine dose, but I don't think I'll have enough paystubs by his interview date to put me over the minimum on my own.

London will accept an employer letter saying your current yearly salary as proof of your income with nothing else. No need to provide the skimpy tax return.

My mother is willing to co-sponsor and makes around 70k per year

Mum can do an I-34 instead of you. 

my fiance has around 40k in savings.

He can self sponsor and you and Mum need not submit an I-134. He needs to take financial statements showing his savings to the interview. Sometimes the document collector will, out of habit, ask for the I-134, at which point he says “I am self-sponsoring” And turn over his financial proof. 

London is not very demanding when it comes to the I-134. They don’t even require a tax return from the fiancé if you have another proof like employer letter. If you can’t sponsor they want the I-134 from the person with the money like Mum. Or your fiancé can present his financial assets and self-sponsor without an affidavit of support.

The rules for an I-864 when he applies for adjustment of status are different, but all of the above mentioned have worked for fiancé’s visas in London. 

Edited by Wuozopo

Timeline
1 hour ago, Wuozopo said:

London will accept an employer letter saying your current yearly salary as proof of your income with nothing else. No need to provide the skimpy tax return.

Mum can do an I-34 instead of you. 

He can self sponsor and you and Mum need not submit an I-134. He needs to take financial statements showing his savings to the interview. Sometimes the document collector will, out of habit, ask for the I-134, at which point he says “I am self-sponsoring” And turn over his financial proof. 

London is not very demanding when it comes to the I-134. They don’t even require a tax return from the fiancé if you have another proof like employer letter. If you can’t sponsor they want the I-134 from the person with the money like Mum. Or your fiancé can present his financial assets and self-sponsor without an affidavit of support.

The rules for an I-864 when he applies for adjustment of status are different, but all of the above mentioned have worked for fiancé’s visas in London. 

Thank you, @Wuozopo

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.