From_CAN_2_US

Transfer of G1 Driving Licence from Canada to US

8 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Although I am 36 years old, I do not know how to drive... Pretty shocking, I know, but I lived the majority of my adult life in Singapore where owning a car is both superfluous and ridiculously expensive (at least 10 times as much as in North America).

I moved to Toronto, Canada in 2018 and am in the process of obtaining my CR1 visa. I have managed without a car in Toronto, but I am moving to a small town in NH, US probably in early 2021 (when my visa arrives). I will absolutely need to drive there.

I am wondering if there is anything I can do while I wait for my visa towards getting a driving licence in the US?

I can take the written test, get a G1 licence, and take classes. But as Canadians know, it takes atleast 2 years to get to a G licence. I don't think I would even have enough time to get to a G1 road test to get a G2 licence.

So my question is - can a G1 licence be transferred to the US, or is there no point in doing anything now, and just wait until I move to start the process of getting a licence there.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Kuwait
Timeline

My husband had an international driver's license, and had to start from beginning in US (i.e., starting from learner's permit, taking driver's test and then getting regular US Driver's license.) Approx. 2 month process total, could've been quicker but getting an appointment was troublesome.

So, answer to your question, yeah, just wait until you get to US. Though, I should qualify, I"m not 100% sure for whether Canadian driver's license are an exception here.

Filed: Country: Vietnam (no flag)
Timeline

You can not transfer a foreign driver's license into a NH driver's license.

You can use a foreign driver's license for a few days/weeks depending on NH laws.  After a certain amount of time, you would need to apply for a NH driver's license.

Google New Hampshire DMV.

Timeline
18 minutes ago, aaron2020 said:

You can not transfer a foreign driver's license into a NH driver's license.

You can use a foreign driver's license for a few days/weeks depending on NH laws.  After a certain amount of time, you would need to apply for a NH driver's license.

Google New Hampshire DMV.

Thank you. I just checked the DMV website. It confirms that one can transfer a Canadian Drivers licence.

"For a driver license, all Non-US applicants must make an appointment to take a full test (vision, knowledge and road test) unless you are transferring an out-of-state, U.S. Territory, Canadian, or French license not expired more than one year. "

My question is would a G1 or G2 licence transfer, or does it have to be a G licence?

Edited by From_CAN_2_US

Start with the process in Canada if it gives you the opportunity to drive and get some experience.

Getting a DL differs from state to state.

Some states will waive the waiting period, road test and/or skills test (paper/computer test) if you already have a DL and are from certain countries.

Generally you will have to get a learner's permit, take the skills test , practice for about 30 days and comeback for the road test

I think that in your case time behind the wheel will be beneficial.

Timeline
15 minutes ago, AJ2019 said:

My husband had an international driver's license, and had to start from beginning in US (i.e., starting from learner's permit, taking driver's test and then getting regular US Driver's license.) Approx. 2 month process total, could've been quicker but getting an appointment was troublesome.

So, answer to your question, yeah, just wait until you get to US. Though, I should qualify, I"m not 100% sure for whether Canadian driver's license are an exception here.

Thanks for your reply. Well a 2 months timeline is not bad at all... It would be longer for me, because I would need to learn to drive from scratch, but still not the minimum 2 years that a Canadian Licence (at least Ontario) requires.

Yes, there is an exception for Canadian Driving Licenses. It can transfer to the US...

Timeline
Just now, randy32 said:

Start with the process in Canada if it gives you the opportunity to drive and get some experience.

Getting a DL differs from state to state.

Some states will waive the waiting period, road test and/or skills test (paper/computer test) if you already have a DL and are from certain countries.

Generally you will have to get a learner's permit, take the skills test , practice for about 30 days and comeback for the road test

I think that in your case time behind the wheel will be beneficial.

Thankyou. You make a good point. It might also help with lowering car insurance (maybe).

12 minutes ago, From_CAN_2_US said:

Thank you. I just checked the DMV website. I confirms that one can transfer a Canadian Drivers licence.

"For a driver license, all Non-US applicants must make an appointment to take a full test (vision, knowledge and road test) unless you are transferring an out-of-state, U.S. Territory, Canadian, or French license not expired more than one year. "

My question is would a G1 or G2 licence transfer, or does it have to be a G licence?

A quick google search of Canadian DL structure shows that the 'G' is based on the experience of the driver based on time (months) of driving.

To the best of my knowledge, in the states that I have lived in, it is based on age. At 36 you will get an unrestricted license.

Edited by randy32

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.