Cp192019

Crossing into USA during Covid

23 posts in this topic

Filed: F-3 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
7 minutes ago, Cp192019 said:

Hello!

Has anyone crossed the border recently from Canada to the USA by land? Just wondering if it was smooth or not with the new lockdown in Ontario and such.

I didn't think you could at all. But following to see what happens for any who have done it recently. I'm not sure the rules right now. I know it's quite the process to get back into Canada. I had family from the Netherlands fly to the US and they had to do a test to get in and 2 tests before they left to get back home. 

I believe the land borders are still closed to non-essential travel (though I think Canadian citizens are of course allowed to return home).  Those who are "essential" still have to pass COVID tests.

Air travel is permissible, but that too has a set of requirements for COVID screening, quarantine, etc.  

Spoiler

Petitioner: USC | Applicant: B2 | (c)9 AOS (Marriage)

07/31/18: Filed I-130, I-130A

08/01/18: Delivered Potomac Processing Center

08/07/18: Text/Mail Notifications (for I-130)

08/14/18: Hard Copy NOA (for I-130)

08/24/18: Mailed I-485, I-765, I-864

08/27/18: Delivered

08/31/18: Filed

09/04/18: Text Notifications (for I-485, I-765, I-864)

09/06/18: Hard Copy NOA (for I-485, I-765, I-864)

09/14/18: Biometrics letter rec'd

09/26/18: Biometrics appt completed

10/02/18: Ready for interview to be scheduled.

12/18/18: Form I-130 APPROVED!

01/27/19: EAD Approved and card being printed!

02/02/19: Combo card and SSN card arrived!

03/08/19: Text and online notification that interview has been scheduled.

04/16/19: Interview.  AOS approval text rec'd.  Card in production!

04/24/19: GC in hand! 

Removal of Conditions

Here we go!

02/10/21: I-751 package sent

02/12/21: Delivered to Phoenix, AZ

03/22/21: Money order cashed

03/24/21: Text notification rec'd

03/25/21: NOA rec'd

04/30/21: Case updated: Fingerprints taken

06/27/22: Approved!  Card being produced!

07/05/22: 10-year GC in hand!

4vrsm5.pngN3Zem6.png

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

See it's confusing because it says a covid test is needed to get into canada but the USA website isn't incredibly helpful. It says people are exempt from restrictions such as lawful residents of the usa, etc. So I'm wondering if immigration is still allowed.

Filed: F-3 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
10 minutes ago, Cp192019 said:

See it's confusing because it says a covid test is needed to get into canada but the USA website isn't incredibly helpful. It says people are exempt from restrictions such as lawful residents of the usa, etc. So I'm wondering if immigration is still allowed.

I think if you're immigrating to the US it'd still allowed. I saw a video of a guy who had his interview in November at Montreal. Pretty sure he moved after. That's an essential thing. Not like you're going back and forth. Plus you would get a test first and show it most likely. 

1 hour ago, Cp192019 said:

Hello!

Has anyone crossed the border recently from Canada to the USA by land? Just wondering if it was smooth or not with the new lockdown in Ontario and such.

covid test are mandatory after Biden took over.  you can travel if you meet the criteria of entry. like spouse of US citizen, green card holder, visa holder with exemptions 

duh

Timeline
3 minutes ago, igoyougoduke said:

covid test are mandatory after Biden took over.  you can travel if you meet the criteria of entry. like spouse of US citizen, green card holder, visa holder with exemptions 

Ah okay I see. Do they do the testing at the border or am I supposed to get it done ahead of time?

10 minutes ago, igoyougoduke said:

if you cross by land no need for PCR test. If you fly to US you need to do one within 72 hours. I crossed the border last march back to US. They didnot ask for covid test.  Unless they changed ? 

Timeline
1 minute ago, HAB said:

if you cross by land no need for PCR test. If you fly to US you need to do one within 72 hours. I crossed the border last march back to US. They didnot ask for covid test.  Unless they changed ? 

Alright, I'm going to call the border just to confirm!

1 hour ago, HAB said:

march 2020 or march 2021. there is a difference 

duh

1 hour ago, igoyougoduke said:

march 2020 or march 2021. there is a difference 

I drove back on March 20/ 2021. NO PCR needed by land.

Here you can check it out, I just googled it. but you can call and check the us border for this too.

"""" Does this Order apply to land border crossings?

No, the requirements of this Order only apply to air travel into the US.""""

Timeline
14 minutes ago, HAB said:

Here you can check it out, I just googled it. but you can call and check the us border for this too.

Awesome, thank you so much

23 minutes ago, HAB said:

that is complete whacko but thanks.  apparently covid only spreads via planes.

duh

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

My boyfriend is here from Ontario but he was unable to pass by land. He flew in. To avoid the hotel quarantine going back, you can be dropped off and walk across the Rainbow Bridge and Uber back home after.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.