Ellie__

Long distance relationships during Covid

43 posts in this topic

Hi guys! How are you dealing with your long distance with covid? Me and my boyfriend have been apart for a year already and I am feeling so drained, he's also in the military so I guess it gets a little more complicated. 😢  Hopefully we'll be able to reunite soon and all of this mess will come to an end.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

we married in 2010 and visa received 2015 but prior to covid  i was able to make trips there

but think this way / here in the US we haven't been able to see family face to face/  most of the family is up in NY and the state was closed for visitors from the south

and i have an aunt in a assisted care and she has been quarantined since all this started even though they all had shots in January

my sister is only 10 hours away and i have not seen her all of last year

and it still goes on

its not just people in here that are isolated from loved ones /  its all over the world

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Mexico
Timeline

7 months was the longest during covid and it was really nerve wracking on the 1st trip, you have to find hobbies to keep yourself busy.

10 hours ago, Ellie__ said:

Hi guys! How are you dealing with your long distance with covid? Me and my boyfriend have been apart for a year already and I am feeling so drained, he's also in the military so I guess it gets a little more complicated. 😢  Hopefully we'll be able to reunite soon and all of this mess will come to an end.

Will you two apply for the K-1 Visa when you meet up again?  That’s when the real wait begins. Best of luck to the two of you. 

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline
2 hours ago, Ellie__ said:

We don't know yet. He'll be in Europe for a while so I think we'll start doing it once he's back to the US.

I am also in a same situation waiting to get married to my fiance in India. Waiting from more than one year since Dec 2019. When your fiance will return to USA ? 

I was physically separated from my then-fiancé for 13 months. We chatted everyday before work, texted each other a lot, called each other during our lunch break and catch up at night. It's a plus, that despite the time zone, we have the same work schedule.

Time flew faster as we were busy with other things but when I only have 2 weeks left before leaving for the U.S., it seems like I didn't have enough time to do everything that I needed to do in my home country.

So use your downtimes to settle things that you want taken care of; get bus with projects; come up with a list of to-do's. Before you know it, you're back in each other's arms again :)

New Petition:

Apr 5,  2023: Naturalization

Apr 6, 2023: I-130 for my mother

Apr 6, 2023: NOA1

Apr 9, 2024: Approved

Apr 13, 2024: Sent to NVC

Apr 18, 2024: Received email fr NVC and paid the AOS/IV fee

I was living with my fiance for several years so the distance was a nice break 🤣  That is a joke, but actually having spent so much time together did help the time go faster.  We were physically apart for 11 months before I was able to get a visa to go back to the country based on my son living there.

The hardest part in those 11 months was with my son and the feeling of abandonment he had.  In the age group of 6-7 years old, they understand some things, but not others.  He understood I left him which was supposed to only be for a few months, but he didnt understand what the pandemic is.  Having lost his mother at a very early age, the toughest part in those 11 months was convincing him that his Dad didnt leave him.  Luckily, once the country changed its visa rules and allowed parents to come back, I immediately booked my return trip until my fiance finished her interview.  Plus having an understanding employer allowing me to work remotely.

The United States is now a country obsessed with the worship of its own ignorance.  Americans are proud of not knowing things.  They have reached a point where ignorance, is an actual virtue.  To reject the advice of experts is to assert autonomy, a way for Americans to insulate their increasingly fragile egos from ever being told they're wrong about anything.  It is a new Declaration of Independence: no longer do we hold these truths to be self-evident, we hold all truths to be self-evident, even the ones that arent true.  All things are knowable and every opinion on any subject is as good as any other.  The fundamental knowledge of the average American is now so low that it has crashed through the floor of "uninformed", passed "misinformed", on the way down, and now plummeting to "aggressively wrong."

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.