willnmahi

Petition denied. Need help

21 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ethiopia
Timeline

Hello. We filed last April to remove conditions after the 2 year green card through the K1. We received no notices or RFEs from then until now. We just got a letter saying that our I-751 was denied because we didn't respond to a RFE sent September 2020. We never received an RFE back in 2020. Also, when we checked online, it never said that they sent an RFE. It only says case received and then the last message was August 2020 and it said "Case was updated to show fingerprints were taken". If they even sent an RFE several months ago, shouldn't the online status reflect this? Should we bother calling them or should we just get a lawyer? Any help would be appreciated. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline

***Moved to the Removing Conditions on Residency discussion area***

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

17 minutes ago, willnmahi said:

Hello. We filed last April to remove conditions after the 2 year green card through the K1. We received no notices or RFEs from then until now. We just got a letter saying that our I-751 was denied because we didn't respond to a RFE sent September 2020. We never received an RFE back in 2020. Also, when we checked online, it never said that they sent an RFE. It only says case received and then the last message was August 2020 and it said "Case was updated to show fingerprints were taken". If they even sent an RFE several months ago, shouldn't the online status reflect this? Should we bother calling them or should we just get a lawyer? Any help would be appreciated. 

get a lawyer and take them to court. its a waste of time and resources with USCIS. Once the judge gets involved it makes life difficult for USCIS 

duh

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Iran
Timeline

Sorry this happened to you, yes hire a good immgration lawyer right away.

You will likely need to file a new i751 before your case is sent to court for removal proceedings. There is no real appeal for an i751 case, not sure if you can get your old i751 reopened, somehow due to USCIS error or the post office mis handling the RFE notice letter.

In any case you should act quickly.

K1 Visa Arrived USA July 2017

Married August 2017

AOS Approved July 2018

Filed for i751 joint application May 2020

Fingerprints reused October 2020, and February 2021 and June 2021 (Yes 3 fingerprint notices)

Case move to National Benefits Center December 2020 for quicker processing from California Service Center

Oct 2021 out of processing time inquiry made, response May 5th 2022 that our i751 case will be addressed at our n400 interview

Combo interview May 16th 2022, in Sacramento

Approved June 08, 2022

Filed for Naturalization May 2021

Fingerprints reused May 2021

Combo interview May 16th 2022, in Sacramento, 

Approved June 08, 2022

Oath Ceremony completed June 29th 2022

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline

Make an info pass appoinment and go to your local USCIS office. I think I got one loooooong ago when I was doing my AOS stating I had failed to show up for an interview. Thinking about it now, I just went to the USCIS office and they quickly told me to dismiss it.

Immigration journey is not: fast, for the faint at heart, easy, cheap, for the impatient nor right away. If more than 50% of this applies to you, best get off the bus.

19 hours ago, willnmahi said:

There's 2 online systems where you can check the status of you application

Old: https://egov.uscis.gov/casestatus/landing.do

New one where you have to create a new myuscis account: https://my.uscis.gov/

Did you check both?

Also do you happen to have a long address with an apartment number?

Edited by LirikBlaidd87

Timeline
10 minutes ago, LirikBlaidd87 said:

There's 2 online systems where you can check the status of you application

Old: https://egov.uscis.gov/casestatus/landing.do

New one where you have to create a new myuscis account: https://my.uscis.gov/

Did you check both?

Also do you happen to have a long address with an apartment number?

Thanks for all the responses. Yes, I've checked both those systems and the last message on both is that fingerprints were reused last August. There is nothing about a RFE or a denial. Our address has stayed the same and it is a house. If we were truly sent a RFE and given an eventual denial, should that be reflected online now when I type in the receipt number?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Vietnam
Timeline
12 minutes ago, willnmahi said:

Thanks for all the responses. Yes, I've checked both those systems and the last message on both is that fingerprints were reused last August. There is nothing about a RFE or a denial. Our address has stayed the same and it is a house. If we were truly sent a RFE and given an eventual denial, should that be reflected online now when I type in the receipt number?

Print out the histories from those pages showing no steps indicating and RFE, that could be useful information later. The systems can take time to update so make sure you can show that as of today that there was no history showing an RFE.

Edited by PedroDaGr8

Steps Before Citizenship:

Spoiler

K-1

09/24/2016 - I-129F Packet Submitted, 09/26/2016 - NOA1, 10/27/2016 - RFE Received

11/02/2016 - RFE Reply sent

11/09/2016 - NOA2

11/21/2016 - NVC Receives packet

12/12/2016 - Case left NVC for BKK Consulate

01/10/2017 - After travelling via the slowest route possible (likely via carrier pigeon) BKK Consulate receives packet

01/16/2017 - Packet 3 Instructions received 02/28/2017 - Packet 3 Instructions Completed

03/05/2017 - Packet 4 received (now the fun begins) --> 03/29/2017 - Interview disappears from the schedule on the embassy website -->03/30/2017 - She goes to her interview, is told they need to verify her documents since she is Vietnamese interviewing in Thailand, receives a 221G with 'Verification of Viet documents' as the reason. Gave back her passport.-->03/31/2017-04/04/2017 - Case is being continuously touched. We suspect that our case was approved at this point but they didn't have her passport. --> 04/10/2017 (10 days after interview) - Email emabssy to inquire about updates and if there was anything we could do to move things forward. (3h later) - She is told that she is approved and to expect her passport soon (how when they don't have it in their posession?) After clarification, instructed to send our passport to them. Ship out passport in a rush to beat Songkran (which failed) --> 04/11/2017 - Passport at embassy according to Thai Post Office --> 04/17/2017 - Emailed to confirm they received the passport. They issued an evasive answer about Songkran backlog (they love evasive non-committal answers)--> 04/24/2017  Evening - Case changes from Immigrant Visa to Non-Immigrant Visa and a new case created date is given --? 04/25/2017 morning  (less than 12h later) - Case flies through Ready -->Admin Processing --> Issued

04/26/2017 - Checks mail, passport is there. No mention of it being mailed out. 

05/02/2017 - Arrives in the USA, without Issue

06/17/2017 - Marriage!

AOS

7/01/17- Mailed AOS packet to Chicago

7/03/17- Packet received

07/07/17 - SMS and Email notification of NOA1 for AoS, EAD, and AP

07/13/17 - Received paper copies of NOA1 for AoS, EAD, and AP

07/21/17 - Received Biometrics Appointment Letter

08/02/17 - Biometrics Appointment Completed 

11/04/17 - EAD Approved - New Card Is Ready For Production

11/09/17 - AP Approved, EAD - Card Produced Awaiting Mailing, EAD - Card Has Been Mailed.

11/13/17 - EAD/AP Combo Card Received. 

11/05/2018 - Received SMS Notification that Interview Has Been Scheduled

11/10/2018 - Received Paper Interview Notice

12/11/2018 - Interview Date
12/12/2018 - Approved

ROC

11/18/2020 - Mailed ROC packet

11/20/2020 - Packet received

01/16/2021 - Received NOA1 

05/28/2021 - Biometrics Waived

08/04/2021 - ROC Approved

08/11/2021 - GC received

Citizenship

09/15/2021 - N-400 Filed Electronically, NOA-1 received, Biometrics Waiver Received

07/01/2022 - Interview Notice Received
08/10/2022 - Interview Date, Approved, Oath Ceremony

Timeline

Someone mentioned that she doesn't have to leave the country yet but our letter says that she needs to leave immediately and mail in her card. Should I just ignore that for now?

9 minutes ago, PedroDaGr8 said:

Print out the histories from those pages showing no steps indicating and RFE, that could be useful information later. The systems can take time to update so make sure you can show that as of today that there was no history showing an RFE.

I will do that today. Thanks!

9 minutes ago, PedroDaGr8 said:

USCIS has denied the petition. you can file MTR but it takes time and USCIS is using COVID as an excuse to change processing time from days to decades. Your fastest bet is to get a lawyer and file a mandamus. you will get an approval decision  provided all your documents are correct when Courts intervene. There is simply no other way in your case. you can file Motion to Reopen ( MTR) but it will take time and USCIS moves like a Tortoise 

duh

55 minutes ago, igoyougoduke said:

USCIS has denied the petition. you can file MTR but it takes time and USCIS is using COVID as an excuse to change processing time from days to decades. Your fastest bet is to get a lawyer and file a mandamus. you will get an approval decision  provided all your documents are correct when Courts intervene. There is simply no other way in your case. you can file Motion to Reopen ( MTR) but it will take time and USCIS moves like a Tortoise 

This is not correct.

An I-290B is not applicable for this, for either a motion to re-open (which would require submission of evidence not previously submitted that may affect the outcome) , or a motion to re-consider (which must be based in incorrect application of law or policy - no RFE response was received, so a denial notice is the correct course of action).

Mandamus is also not applicable to this for various reasons. 

The way to get this sorted is as above: ask USCIS to correct with a Service Motion - make an infopass appointment or send a letter (both would be better) to request it is re-opened, due to non-receipt of an RFE, which is expressly permitted .

USCIS may at any time reopen a proceeding or reconsider a decision on its own motion 8 C.F.R. 103.5(a)(5)

The alternative, rather than dealing with a faceless bureaucratic organization with no simple point of contact and little accountability,  is to simply to file a fresh I-751.

My suggestion - as a non lawyer but someone who has past and current experience of ALL of those options listed above, is to try the first option, exhaust that - and I see no reason it won't be re-opened IF you can get the right person to address it - and if no joy, then do the second. 

If it ultimately went to an NTA and then court, a judge would order it re-opened based on no RFE received, but depends whether you want to wait that long and have the expense & hassle when there are other options available. 

Edited by mindthegap
Long month - typo

CR1 / DCF (London): 2012 / 2013 (4 months from I-130 petition to visa in hand)

I-751 #1- April 2015 [Denied]

April 2015 : I-751 Joint filing package sent fedex next day 09:00am from UK ($lots - thanks). 
Jan 2017: Notification that an interview has been scheduled at a local office. Bizarrely still no RFE... 
Jan 2017: 2hr wait, then interview terminated before it began, due to moving my ID to another state 2 wks prior. New interview 'in a few months...maybe.'   Informed them that divorce proceedings are underway, but not finalised at this time. 
March 2017: An Interview was scheduled - marked as no-show as they didn't actually send out a notification of interview. FML 
April  2017: Filed an official complaint with the ombudsman, and have requested Senator & Congressman assistance
August 2017: Interview - switched to a (finalised) divorce waiver. Told that decision will be made that afternoon, but no problems foreseen with my case. 
October 2017: Letter of Denial received - reason given as 'I-751 petition was not properly filed'. Discovered ex-spouse made false allegations to USCIS in 2015. No opportunity given to review & refute allegations  - contrary to USCIS policy.

I-751 #2 - Oct 2017 - Mar 2021[Denied] 

October 2017: Within 72hrs of receiving denial notice, a new waiver I-751, divorce decree & $680 cheque, sent to Vermont via FedEx overnight 9am priority.  
Dec 2019: Filed FOIA request for full A# file
Feb 2020: FOIA request completed - entire A# file received as a .PDF; 197 pages fully redacted, and 80 partially redacted. Don't waste your time!
March 2021: I-751 #2 denied for lack of evidence. No RFE, no interview, and evidence in previous I-751 not reviewed - contrary to policy. Huge errors in adjudication.

N-400 - Feb 2018 - Apr 2021 [Denied]

February 2018: N-400 filed online.  $725 paid to the USCIS paperwork wastage fund

February  2019: Interview - cancelled after a four hour wait due to 'missing paperwork' on their end. Promised Expedited reschedule.

March 2021: Interview letter received, strangely dated after I-751 denial. No I-751 interview conducted. N-400 interview and test passed, given 'cannot make a decision at this time' paper due to the ongoing I-751 nightmare...

April 2021: N-400 denial received citing recent I-751 denial as basis for ineligibility, even though it should have been a combo interview 🤯

I AM JACK'S COMPLETE LACK OF SURPRISE

I-751 Service Motion - March 2021 [Sent via FedEx & COMPLETELY IGNORED by USCIS]

March 2021: Service Motion request sent overnight addressed direectly to field office director, requesting urgent review and re-opening, based on errors in adjudication - citing USCIS policy, AFM and memorandums as basis for errors. This was completely ignored by USCIS.

I-751 #3 - June 2021 - Jan 2024 [Denied]

IT'S GROUNDHOG DAY

June 2021: I-751 #3 (30+lbs/5000 pages of paperwork) & another $680 sent to USCIS via FedEx ($300+..thanks) .... 

June 2021: Receipt issued, card charged, biometrics waived, infopass scheduled for I-551 stamp number ten.....

Feb 2022: RFIE (no, not an RFE, a Request For Initial Evidence) received, for copies of the divorce paperwork that they already have 😑

July 2022: Infopass for I-551 stamp number eleven.....

August 2023: Infopass for I-551 stamp number twelve....

January 2024: Denial received, ignoring the overwhelming majority of the filing, abundance of evidence, and refutation of a provably false allegation. The denial also contradicts itself in multiple places, as if it was written by someone with an IQ <50.

HAPPY NEW YEAR

2024: FML. Seriously. I'm done. 

55 minutes ago, willnmahi said:

Someone mentioned that she doesn't have to leave the country yet but our letter says that she needs to leave immediately and mail in her card. Should I just ignore that for now?

Yes.

The letter is scary, but ultimately the status as a permanent resident remains until a final order of removal by an immigration judge. This has been proven time and time again in case law. 

April 2015 : I-751 Joint filing package sent fedex next day 09:00am from UK ($lots - thanks). 
Jan 2017: Notification that an interview has been scheduled at a local office. Bizarrely still no RFE... 
Jan 2017: 2hr wait, then interview terminated before it began, due to moving my ID to another state 2 wks prior. New interview 'in a few months...maybe.'   Informed them that divorce proceedings are underway, but not finalised at this time. 
March 2017: An Interview was scheduled - marked as no-show as they didn't actually send out a notification of interview. FML 
April  2017: Filed an official complaint with the ombudsman, and have requested Senator & Congressman assistance
August 2017: Interview - switched to a (finalised) divorce waiver. Told that decision will be made that afternoon, but no problems foreseen with my case. 
October 2017: Letter of Denial received - reason given as 'I-751 petition was not properly filed'. Discovered ex-spouse made false allegations to USCIS in 2015. No opportunity given to review & refute allegations  - contrary to USCIS policy.

October 2017: Within 72hrs of receiving denial notice, a new waiver I-751, divorce decree & $680 cheque, sent to Vermont via FedEx overnight 9am priority.  
Feb 2020: FOIA request completed - entire A# file received as a .PDF; 197 pages fully redacted, and 80 partially redacted. Don't waste your time!
March 2021: I-751 #2 denied for lack of evidence. No RFE, no interview, and evidence in previous I-751 not reviewed - contrary to policy. Huge errors in adjudication.

February 2018: N-400 filed online.  $725 paid to the USCIS paperwork wastage fund

February  2019: Interview - cancelled after a four hour wait due to 'missing paperwork' on their end. Promised Expedited reschedule.

March 2021: Interview letter received, strangely dated after I-751 denial. No I-751 interview conducted. N-400 interview and test passed, given 'cannot make a decision at this time' paper due to the ongoing I-751 nightmare...

April 2021: N-400 denial received citing recent I-751 denial as basis for ineligibility, even though it should have been a combo interview 🤯

I-751 Service Motion - March 2021 [Sent via FedEx & COMPLETELY IGNORED by USCIS]

March 2021: Service Motion request sent overnight addressed direectly to field office director, requesting urgent review and re-opening, based on errors in adjudication - citing USCIS policy, AFM and memorandums as basis for errors. This was completely ignored by USCIS.

IT'S GROUNDHOG DAY

June 2021: I-751 #3 (30+lbs/5000 pages of paperwork) & another $680 sent to USCIS via FedEx ($300+..thanks) .... 

June 2021: Receipt issued, card charged, biometrics waived, infopass scheduled for I-551 stamp number ten.....

Feb 2022: RFIE (no, not an RFE, a Request For Initial Evidence) received, for copies of the divorce paperwork that they already have 😑

January 2024: Denial received, ignoring the overwhelming majority of the filing, abundance of evidence, and refutation of a provably false allegation. The denial also contradicts itself in multiple places, as if it was written by someone with an IQ <50.

HAPPY NEW YEAR

3 minutes ago, mindthegap said:

This is not correct.

An I-290B is not applicable for this, for either a motion to re-open (which would require submission of evidence not previously submitted that may affect the outcome) , or a motion to re-consider (which must be based in incorrect application of law or policy - no RFE response was received, so a denial notice is the correct course of action).

The way to get this sorted is as above: using a Service Motion - make an infopass appointment or send a letter (both would be better) to get it re-opened, which is expressly permitted . USCIS may at any time reopen a proceeding or reconsider a decision on its own motion (8 C.F.R. § 103.5(a)(5) (2008)).

The alternative, rather than dealing with a faceless bureaucratic organization with no simple point of contact and little accountability,  is to simply to file a fresh I-751.

My suggestion - as a non lawyer but someone who has past and current experience of ALL of those options listed above, is to try the first option, exhaust that - and I no reason it won't be re-opene IF you can get the right person to address it - and if no joy, then do the second. 

If it ultimately went to and NTA and then court, a judge would order it re-opened based on no RFE received, but depends whether you want to wait that long and have the expense & hassle when there are other options available. 

you can file an MTR to reopen the denial. USCIS needs to show proof that they sent RFE as the online status does not reflect RFE and the applicant is saying that RFE is not received. 

duh

4 minutes ago, igoyougoduke said:

you can file an MTR to reopen the denial. USCIS needs to show proof that they sent RFE as the online status does not reflect RFE and the applicant is saying that RFE is not received. 

No, not applicable in this case - the criteria for an  I-290B motion to re-open or re-consider are extremely (deliberately) narrow and obstructive.

I could post the exact wording as to why but I simply can't be a***d as I've been neck deep in USCIS paperwork for the past five weeks and I am sick of it.

It can - and should - be done without an I-290B, by an informal request for a service motion to request their error. 

There is also the fact that an I-290B costs a whopping $5 less than simply filing a new I-751, and you would be better off doing that anyway, unless you like wasting money. 

Edited by mindthegap

IT'S GROUNDHOG DAY

HAPPY NEW YEAR

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.