stm

Need help with citizenship RFE because of traffic citation

9 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Tunisia
Timeline

Hi ,

I had my citizenship interview today and It went good except one issue regarding  question 23 Part 12 of N-400. (Have you EVER been arrested, cited.....). I answered no to that question (I thought it is the correct answer because I was not guilty and it was dismissed) 

In order to clarify I did it right, I told the officier that I did get a traffic  ticket but it was dismissed by the court. So she said I need to provide proof of that. 

Looking at the RFE, . I am worried I mess this up so I want to check if someone had similar case. 

Basically, I want to respond to the RFE today online (the officier mentioned I can do it online) by providing the court records from the court's website ( charge detail, disposion ,summary and traffic ticket handed by the COP (it is almost blank because of think is gone). But in the RFE it says it has to be original or certified and you have one chance to respond to this... So i am worried that these document won't be considered as original because they are printed form the website.  The other option will be request the record from the court and that can take some time 😕

image.png.922c9f291ba819bbb24f33c8df862094.png

Timeline
19 minutes ago, igoyougoduke said:

submit the documents that says your case was dismissed. courts give you a document when its dismissed. usually traffic citations are not cared for unless you didnt pay the fine.

I decided to go ahead and request a "disposition record" from the court to be safe. It should take 3 business days . 

I am not sure if you needed to talk about the traffic ticket, if it was only speeding or something minor.

Look at the Q7 on this document: https://www.uscis.gov/sites/default/files/document/guides/chapter3.pdf

If it is not drug or alcohol related, "No" is the right answer in the N400 form and during interview as long as it is less than $500.

Edited by Immigrant Inwait

Timeline
6 hours ago, Immigrant Inwait said:

I am not sure if you needed to talk about the traffic ticket, if it was only speeding or something minor.

Look at the Q7 on this document: https://www.uscis.gov/sites/default/files/document/guides/chapter3.pdf

If it is not drug or alcohol related, "No" is the right answer in the N400 form and during interview as long as it is less than $500.

interesting..My ticket was <$500 in it and I was not even guilty.

I ended up sending the document by mail today to them for proof from court that It is taken care of. 

They should receive the package today so hopefully I get an update

6 hours ago, Immigrant Inwait said:

I shared my interview experience about a minor traffic ticket before, and I'm going to copy-paste that so maybe someone else may find it helpful in the future:

TL;DR - My suggestion: ALWAYS bring your record to your interview no matter how "minor" you think your ticket was.

Contrary to what I learned from different online platforms that I “did not” have to bring evidence for my speeding ticket (less than $500) to my interview, my interviewer/officer ACTUALLY DID ASK if I had any receipt along with the ticket to show him during the interview when he came across the yes/no question about whether I had been “cited” (I checked “yes” to that question on the N400 form). Fortunately I was prepared and I showed it to him. After he quickly verified he said he was going to change my answer to this question to “no”.

I guess it really depends on the officer, but in my case, I felt lucky at that moment when I was able to show him when he asked. Otherwise who knows? The last thing you want during the interview is to have the officer delay the decision. So I would not take the risk and always be prepared, even that means trying to get a copy from the local DMV.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Ireland
Timeline

I mentioned a traffic citation during my interview yesterday. I had a printout of the court docket that showed the fine amount and that it had been paid. The officer said that was all they needed, since it showed that there was no outstanding fine.

I-130                                                            CR-1

Filed: 1/13/2010                                         NVC Receive: 3/31/2010

NOA1: 1/22/2010                                       Consulate Receive: 3/31/2010 

NOA2: 2/3/2010                                         Interview: 4/26/2010

Approval: 5/13/2010

Date of Entry: 5/17/2010

I-751                                                            N-400

Filed: 2/18/2012                                        Filed: 2/11/2021

NOA1: 2/23/2012                                      NOA1: 2/12/2021

Biometrics: 3/12/2012                             Biometrics: Reuse Notice 2/19/2021

Interview: N/A                                            Interview: 4/6/2021

Approval: 7/11/2012                                Approval: 4/6/2021

Green Card Received: 7/19/2011

Oath of Allegiance: 5/6/2021

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Scotland
Timeline

I agree with Ollie and MrKo...

I’ve received two speeding tickets (citations); one in 2003 and one in 2016. I paid the fine in 2003 and undertook a drivers ed course in 2016. Both tickets were around $130 and below the $500 limit.  

I answered yes to receiving citations because that is what they are and explained further in the appropriate box. 

I submitted a copy of my driving record from the State  which clearly show the two citations. Then I emailed and called the offices serving that county which gave me the ticket in 2003 and after the 4th call, I was able to find the actual court in which my citation was covered. They sent me by email proof of a paid fine and case dismissed. I also traveled to the court house under which my 2016 ticket was served and received a notarized copy of paid ticket and dismissed case. I then submitted these online with my application. 

Did I go over the top in obtaining those evidences? I don’t think so. This is my citizenship application. How much do I want it? I’m leaving nothing to chance in the mind of the interviewing officer. I will provide everything they may ask for. Two examples from Ollie and MrKo justifies that. 

PS. When in the process of applying for AOS based on marriage, I noticed a spelling error in our marriage certificate.  No one had ever noticed when we used it to change the name in my wife’s US passport or SS card. I spent three months working over the phone, letter and email with the authorities in the country of where we got married to obtain an amended marriage certificate. Just in case it was asked for. 

H1B: Feb 2001 (London)

L1A:  Jan 2014 (London)

AOS: May 24th 2016 - June 20th 2017

N400: March 23rd 2020 - June 29th 2021

Passport: July 1st 2021 - August 30th 2021

Social Security: July 1st 2021 - October 5th 2021

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.