8 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Germany
Timeline

Hello,

I would like to apply for naturalization early (319b), because I will accompany my husband on an overseas assignment. We just got orders today, and will have to move in June. 

Currently waiting for an interview appointment for the adjustment of status (which I will try to get expedited with the orders). 

I am searching for others, who have been able to get their naturalization early and would like to share their experience. I would really appreciate your stories! I am from Germany, and have read that I need to get a document from a German authority in order to keep my German citizenship. 

Any Germans here, who would like to share their experience with the process?

Thanks in advance for any replies!

1 hour ago, Leah88 said:

Hello,

I would like to apply for naturalization early (319b), because I will accompany my husband on an overseas assignment. We just got orders today, and will have to move in June. 

Currently waiting for an interview appointment for the adjustment of status (which I will try to get expedited with the orders). 

I am searching for others, who have been able to get their naturalization early and would like to share their experience. I would really appreciate your stories! I am from Germany, and have read that I need to get a document from a German authority in order to keep my German citizenship. 

Any Germans here, who would like to share their experience with the process?

Thanks in advance for any replies!

Well there are a couple threads on this sub about getting expedited naturalization due to deployment orders. As long as you are actually on the orders for the OCONUS deployment then you will be able to get everything expedited. First thing tomorrow I would call the USCIS about getting your AOS expedited then once you get the GC you can file for your expedited Naturalization. 

I’m not from Germany, but have my fair share of German expat friends who are either in the process of naturalizing or have done so already. If you want to keep your German citizenship, you have to apply for a so-called “Beibehaltungsgenehmigung”, a “retention permit” for your citizenship.  Processing times for that are 12-18 months at the moment; I have a friend who just got hers approved after 13.5 months of processing.  You need that permit on paper in hand before you take the oath; otherwise, you will automatically lose your German citizenship.  The permit stays valid for 2 years, so I would apply for that first while figuring out what exactly you need to become a U.S. citizen.  There is a portal (a kind of subforum) for Germany as well; maybe you’ll also find more answers there. 
I hope everything will work out for you and your husband! 

Edited by CMJuilland

ROC: 

12/30/2019 package sent to Texas Lockbox via USPS 

12/31/2019 package arrived at Texas Lockbox 

01/02/2020 package signed for

01/04/2020 $680 charged on credit card

01/06/2020 text message and email with case number received

01/09/2020 extension letter received; notice date: 01/03/2020

02/22/2020 biometrics appointment letter received 

03/06/2020 biometrics appointment 

08/09/2021 I-751 approved

08/16/2021 Green Card received

Naturalization:

12/29/2020 application filed online and receipt number received 

01/04/2021 hard copy NOA1 received 

02/27/2021 electronic biometric reuse letter received

09/19/2021 interview scheduled - electronic notice received 

09/27/2021 hard copy interview notice received (issue date: 09/21/2021)

10/27/2021 interview (10.40am), approved

11/06/2021 oath ceremony (7.30am) 

I AM A U.S. CITIZEN!!!!! 

Passport:

11/08/2021 appointment at USPS (2.00pm)

11/16/2021 money order cashed, passport “in process” (locator 69)

12/02/2021 approved and shipped

12/04/2021 passport book delivered

12/13/2021 passport card and NC delivered 

Timeline

Thank you, I did! Hopefully I will get the expedite! Yes, I have seen the posts, but I was still looking for people (maybe with more recent experiences). The military stuff is quite complicated to me still. Thank you so much for your comment!

Timeline
On 3/29/2021 at 11:01 PM, CMJuilland said:

I’m not from Germany, but have my fair share of German expat friends who are either in the process of naturalizing or have done so already. If you want to keep your German citizenship, you have to apply for a so-called “Beibehaltungsgenehmigung”, a “retention permit” for your citizenship.  Processing times for that are 12-18 months at the moment; I have a friend who just got hers approved after 13.5 months of processing.  You need that permit on paper in hand before you take the oath; otherwise, you will automatically lose your German citizenship.  The permit stays valid for 2 years, so I would apply for that first while figuring out what exactly you need to become a U.S. citizen.  There is a portal (a kind of subforum) for Germany as well; maybe you’ll also find more answers there. 
I hope everything will work out for you and your husband! 

Thnak you for your comment! Yes I have heard about the document, and contacted the consulat to ask about it. Seems like it is another huge bureaucratic nightmare, unsure if I want to slide down that rabbit whole. At this point, I would love to just be done with immigration forever, idk if I need my German citizenship all that much, but it would surely be better to keep it.. I hate the paperwork more than anything. Thank you for your reply, and I do wish you all the best as well! 

I would be quite impressed if you can make it happen to get the papers from Germany in time. I can't imagine that they care about your situation. You might want to look into how to get the German one back after loosing it. It's possible and at least you'll be in Germany to deal with it 😉

Timeline

@Letspaintcookies my thoughts exactly...it might even be easier to get it back than to apply for it from what I have read. Apparently it took a year to apply for it (from the US) before covid, so it probably takes 10 years now haha. If you apply for it within Germany its a simpler and faster process.

• 3 weeks later...
Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Germany
Timeline

If you are going to be stationed in Germany, you could apply for the BBG via the Landamt wherever you reside. Friends of mine did it in Germany despite tribal knowledge arguing it isn’t worth your time. I did mine through the Consulate in LA and it took exactly 12 month to the day.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.