tigerqueen

Should attested English translation of Urdu Nikah Nama be done in the US or PAKISTAN?

9 posts in this topic

52 minutes ago, SteveInBostonI130 said:

Does it need to be translated?  Check the embassy website

Yep, unfortunately it does! The website says that they want the original in the native language, a certified translation, and the official governmental documentation of the marriage. 

My original was actually in English, and I've heard that's not accepted (such Orientalist nonsense!) so I'm making a workaround by trying to get another Urdu original. 

It does not matter whether it is attested in Pakistan or notarized in the US.  The translation just needs to have the translator's certification (that they are proficient in both languages and that the translation is accurate)

Obligatory disclaimer:  Not a lawyer.  Posts are written based on my own research and based on whatever information is provided.  Consult an immigration attorney regarding your specific case.

• 2 months later...
Filed: IR-5 Timeline
On 3/21/2021 at 8:42 PM, tigerqueen said:

Yep, unfortunately it does! The website says that they want the original in the native language, a certified translation, and the official governmental documentation of the marriage. 

My original was actually in English, and I've heard that's not accepted (such Orientalist nonsense!) so I'm making a workaround by trying to get another Urdu original. 

If the original is in English, you don't need an Urdu version.

04/21/20: IR-5 Submitted Online 

04/21/20: NOA1 Issued online

04/27/20: NOA1 Received via postal mail from Texas Service Center

04/27/20: Touched

04/28/20: Case Transferred to California Service Center

05/14/20: Touched 

05/15/20: Touched 

07/01/20: Touched

07/06/20: Touched 

07/06/20: RFE Issued (not available online)

07/16/20: RFE Received in Mail

07/20/20: DNA Done in USA

08/09/20: RFE Partial Response Submitted Online

08/26/20: RFE Partial Response Submitted via mail

09/01/20: Touched

10/28/21: DNA test results Received by USCIS

11/12/21: NOA2

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/7/2021 at 3:33 AM, onek said:

If the original is in English, you don't need an Urdu version.

Some users have experienced issues with Nikah Namas in English....

Obligatory disclaimer:  Not a lawyer.  Posts are written based on my own research and based on whatever information is provided.  Consult an immigration attorney regarding your specific case.

Filed: IR-5 Timeline
12 hours ago, pm5k said:

Some users have experienced issues with Nikah Namas in English....

Translation to ENGLISH is only needed if orignal document is in a different language.  You don't translate original English language document to a different language for US embassy

04/21/20: IR-5 Submitted Online 

04/21/20: NOA1 Issued online

04/27/20: NOA1 Received via postal mail from Texas Service Center

04/27/20: Touched

04/28/20: Case Transferred to California Service Center

05/14/20: Touched 

05/15/20: Touched 

07/01/20: Touched

07/06/20: Touched 

07/06/20: RFE Issued (not available online)

07/16/20: RFE Received in Mail

07/20/20: DNA Done in USA

08/09/20: RFE Partial Response Submitted Online

08/26/20: RFE Partial Response Submitted via mail

09/01/20: Touched

10/28/21: DNA test results Received by USCIS

11/12/21: NOA2

On 6/24/2021 at 9:15 PM, onek said:

Translation to ENGLISH is only needed if orignal document is in a different language.  You don't translate original English language document to a different language for US embassy

There have been posts where people have been specifically asked for the Urdu Nikah Nama, even though they had the English one.  It is not intuitive, but that is what was asked. 

Basically, USCIS/NVC did not recognize the English Nikah Nama as a legal document in Pakistan.  The reciprocity by country link specifically mentions the Urdu Nikah Nama. 

I agree that it is not intuitive, but this is what some people have experienced. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.