Orcrist

London interview next week (please help!)

13 posts in this topic

Hi, 

We have our spousal visa interview next week. One major thing still bothering me is part 6 on the I864 as I have received conflicting information on how to fill this one out.

I am the USC petitioner and I currently live and work in the UK. I will NOT have a job upon moving back to the states so I am using my assets to qualify. So how would I fill out section six on the I864, considering I'm still employed and earning income in the UK? It's confusing as it is asking for current employment, current individual annual income and current annual household income. Well I CURRENTLY have all of this stuff IN THE UK but I will resign once my husband receives his visa and we can move to the states. 

Part 6.

1. I am currently employed as an: I have entered my current UK employer. Should I keep this or remove it since I will have no employer upon moving back to the states?

6. Unemployed since: I will resign once my husband receives his visa so how do I fill this out in line with the above? 

7. My current individual annual income is: I have entered my 2020 UK income amount here as reported on my most 1040EZ recent tax return (so already converted to USD by my CPA). Should I change this to zero since I will no longer have this income upon moving back to the states? But then it would contradict the fact that I am indeed currently employed. I just won't be once I'm in America... 

20. Current annual household income: Again, should this be zero? But it can't be zero if I entered my current annual income in number 7. This one even says it will be compared to the federal poverty guidelines. 

I found the assets section pretty easy since I just have a USD savings account that meets the poverty requirements. I provided many bank statements and even a separate letter explaining my use of assets, the source of my funds etc etc. So I've covered myself there. Even then, I'm worried as apparently people have been rejected when using only assets. But we don't have a choice since we can't find a co sponsor.... 

Maybe I'm making this way more complicated than it needs to be but better to get it right the first time.

Thanks for taking the time to read this! 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline
8 hours ago, Orcrist said:

Maybe I'm making this way more complicated than it needs to be but better to get it right the first time.

and even a separate letter explaining my use of assets, the source of my funds etc etc.

You are going to be face to face with the person who decides, so including a letter isn’t going to be as helpful as just talking to him.

Your situation does not really fit the form which is designed for a person living in the US.
If you had a timeline I could add other info but don’t want to spend time drawing it out of you with questioning. 

I found the assets section pretty easy since I just have a USD savings account that meets the poverty requirements.

Three times poverty level.

Why do you require a timeline to offer advice? All of the pertinent information is in my original post. 

Only the beneficiary is allowed inside of the building due to covid restrictions, therefore I will not be able to attend the interview or explain the use of my assets in person. There are exceptions for certain individuals just in case anyone else reads this. 

Anyway, thank you for your reply. 

I believe you should just put your current employment situation in there, as it does ask for your current employment. I really don’t think they’re going to ask your spouse about the future of your employment. Plus, just on a side note, no one knows what’s going to happen in the future—you may very well land a job in the US when the time comes. 
I have a consular I’m in contact with on Quora—I will post your question there and see if I can get a definitive answer quickly—she really knows her stuff. Fingers crossed. 

Thank you blchaddy. As of now, I'm keeping the current employment and annual income. I'm leaving the annual household income part blank (or zero I should say) as that will be compared to federal poverty guidelines and I'm using my assets for that. Plus they will know I will have to quit my job to re-establish domicile in the U.S. as it's not the kind that can be taken with me overseas! Please let me know if Quora says anything different though... 

Hey orcist, I found out income must be US based earnings to meet minimum income requiremens for the visa. And you can use any liquid or real estate assets to replace this, but they must be 3x the minimum income requirements. 

All I did was staple my bank statements for my assets/savings (printed from online banking) to the back of the I-864. They pretty much just flipped through the whole thing and that was it. Never even asked anything about the USC re-establishing domicile or health insurance. They just check the official documents (listed on the London U.S. embassy website) and asked when/where we got married. Don't forget to bring passport photos and copies of the official documents because they will ask for these. Almost a bit of a let down due to all the work we put into creating supporting letters and documents. But who cares cuz now we are outta here! 

Edited by Orcrist

Timeline
7 hours ago, NSMS0809 said:

I don’t have anything to offer to the OP. But I’m in the K1 process with my fiancé Who is in the UK. Is it true you can be rejected for using assets only to qualify if you have well over 300% of the poverty line?! I thought legally they have to accept it? 

They will accept it.

2 hours ago, Orcrist said:

All I did was staple my bank statements for my assets/savings (printed from online banking) to the back of the I-864. They pretty much just flipped through the whole thing and that was it. Never even asked anything about the USC re-establishing domicile or health insurance. They just check the official documents (listed on the London U.S. embassy website) and asked when/where we got married. Don't forget to bring passport photos and copies of the official documents because they will ask for these. Almost a bit of a let down due to all the work we put into creating supporting letters and documents. But who cares cuz now we are outta here! 

Lol yes important thing is you’re done and approved!

Do you have any advice on what to include for evidence of relationship? And also what type of questions they asked during the interview?

Timeline
2 hours ago, blchaddy said:

Lol yes important thing is you’re done and approved!

Do you have any advice on what to include for evidence of relationship? And also what type of questions they asked during the interview?

London doesn’t need evidence of your relationship. Never ever ask for it. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.