ducksauce

Sydney K1 Interview - Original Birth Certificate Question

2 posts in this topic

Hi all,

We're currently waiting for our case to be sent over to Sydney, but was wondering if the Sydney embassy requires my fiancee's original birth certificate or will a copy do? Her birth certificate is overseas (She is not an Australian citizen), and given travel restrictions, she obviously cannot leave Australia and re-enter, and we are hesitant on mailing such an important document overseas (even with insured, sig confirmation, etc.)

Looking to see if anyone knows (I've read that copied are okay for some embassies), otherwise I will probably send the embassy an email to ask. Thoughts?

Thanks in advance!

I believe you have to have original copies of all your documents albeit when it comes to the birth certificate it differs a little. I was born in the UK and applied for a full version of my birth certificate (my original was a short version). The full version was issued to me as a certified copy but it was still an original document because it was generated from the original source and it was -not- a copy made by me and certified by a Justice of the Peace. It took a couple of months for it to be produced and sent to me at my home in Australia.

You don't say where in the world your fiancée was born so it's going to be hard to get any specific advice here without that information. I would write to the Consulate in Sydney to find out what they require. Their email address is published on the site on the consulate contacts page. Best of luck to you

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.