16 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Chile
Timeline

Hi,

We are in process with our application for my wife (Chilean) to become a US resident after we got married last year. Our forms (I-130, I-131, I-485, I-765) were accepted December 5th 2020 . 

I am starting a good job soon with excellent health insurance etc.

I have not spoken to the new employer as I have not received the official offer yet.

But I am wondering if I will be able to get health insurance for her.

I am thinking I should apply for an ITIN number for her.

I filed my taxes for 2020 as a single person.

I believe if I wanted to file a W7 for to apply for an ITIN number I would need to file an amended return.

Anybody have experience of this process?

Any reason not to file for an ITIN?

Could my wife file a tax return with zero income to apply for the ITIN?

Any idea how long the ITIN process takes?

Anybody have experience with getting decent resident health insurance without an SSN or ITIN???

Thanks Martin

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
16 minutes ago, martinataylor said:

Hi,

We are in process with our application for my wife (Chilean) to become a US resident after we got married last year. Our forms (I-130, I-131, I-485, I-765) were accepted December 5th 2020 . 

I am starting a good job soon with excellent health insurance etc.

I have not spoken to the new employer as I have not received the official offer yet.

But I am wondering if I will be able to get health insurance for her.

I am thinking I should apply for an ITIN number for her.

I filed my taxes for 2020 as a single person.

I believe if I wanted to file a W7 for to apply for an ITIN number I would need to file an amended return.

Anybody have experience of this process?

Any reason not to file for an ITIN?

Could my wife file a tax return with zero income to apply for the ITIN?

Any idea how long the ITIN process takes?

Anybody have experience with getting decent resident health insurance without an SSN or ITIN???

Thanks Martin

Why did you file as a single person even though your marital status as of the end of the year was married?

YMMV

Timeline
Just now, payxibka said:

Why did you file as a single person even though your marital status as of the end of the year was married?

Hi,

Good question and I believe now that was an error on my part.

At the time I filed I did not think I could include her as she had no Social Security number.

and i had thought the ITIN process may muddy the waters and be unnecessary as she might soon have an SSN

I was in the mode of she mostly doesn't exist in the US officially

It is only in considering how to get her on health insurance I thought to look into the ITIN and I realize that is likely a legitimate and necessary step.

Martin

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

You were married in 2020 and can not file as single

MFJ or MFS or Head of Household (if yosincu qualifiy)

Just follow the IRS instructions for the ITIN (not hard) and since this is a 1040x to amend , no one can tell you how long it will take as i am sure IRS will concentrate on the new filers first 

i did the ITIN while my husband was still in Morocco and i now take classes to aid a tax attorney so he can send the letters out to clients to do the ITIN or EIN that live and/or work for foreign or US firms in the US

Have your wife fill out the W7 (or do a POA so you have her permission to do it / copy of the POA would also be sent in with 1040x and W7 ) with the supporting documents

not hard just some extra paperwork and must be paper filing as the supporting documents need to be mailed in/  if you try to do them from scanning IRS will send a letter saying they want to see originals

Timeline
2 minutes ago, JeanneAdil said:

You were married in 2020 and can not file as single

MFJ or MFS or Head of Household (if yosincu qualifiy)

Just follow the IRS instructions for the ITIN (not hard) and since this is a 1040x to amend , no one can tell you how long it will take as i am sure IRS will concentrate on the new filers first 

i did the ITIN while my husband was still in Morocco and i now take classes to aid a tax attorney so he can send the letters out to clients to do the ITIN or EIN that live and/or work for foreign or US firms in the US

Have your wife fill out the W7 (or do a POA so you have her permission to do it / copy of the POA would also be sent in with 1040x and W7 ) with the supporting documents

not hard just some extra paperwork and must be paper filing as the supporting documents need to be mailed in/  if you try to do them from scanning IRS will send a letter saying they want to see originals

Thanks for the advice!

Martin

Edited by martinataylor

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

sorry forgot about health care which is usually offered after a probationary period (most jobs)

and then you can sign up for the company's offers and you must sign up the wife at this time or wait till renewal time comes up 

Timeline
4 minutes ago, JeanneAdil said:

sorry forgot about health care which is usually offered after a probationary period (most jobs)

and then you can sign up for the company's offers and you must sign up the wife at this time or wait till renewal time comes up 

Do you have any experience of people being able to sign up for health care without an SSN or ITIN????

I know I get to ask my new employer that but wondering what to expect. 

Martin

Timeline
1 hour ago, martinataylor said:

Do you have any experience of people being able to sign up for health care without an SSN or ITIN????

Martin

I used a placeholder ssn 

YMMV

1 hour ago, martinataylor said:

Martin

I was able to enroll my wife in my employer health insurance plan without a SSN or ITIN. I explained the situation to them and they just asked me to provide the number once I had it.

Note that I signed her up within 30 days of getting married (a "qualifying life event" that allowed us to make the change outside of the normal open enrollment period).

Timeline
19 minutes ago, JKLSemicolon said:

I was able to enroll my wife in my employer health insurance plan without a SSN or ITIN. I explained the situation to them and they just asked me to provide the number once I had it.

Note that I signed her up within 30 days of getting married (a "qualifying life event" that allowed us to make the change outside of the normal open enrollment period).

Hi JKL,

That is nice to hear.

That would be ideal. 

Martin

Timeline
6 minutes ago, martinataylor said:

As in made on up?

Martin

I chose the word "placeholder,"  others includung yourself,  may choose to define it differently 

YMMV

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

Moved from IR-1/CR-1 Process & Procedures to Moving to the US and Your New Life In America forum.

Our journey:

Spoiler

September 2007: Met online via social networking site (MySpace); began exchanging messages.
March 26, 2009: We become a couple!
September 10, 2009: Arrived for first meeting in-person!
June 17, 2010: Arrived for second in-person meeting and start of travel together to other areas of China!
June 21, 2010: Engaged!!!
September 1, 2010: Switched course from K1 to CR-1
December 8, 2010: Wedding date set; it will be on February 18, 2011!
February 9, 2011: Depart for China
February 11, 2011: Registered for marriage in Wuhan, officially married!!!
February 18, 2011: Wedding ceremony in Shiyan!!!
April 22, 2011: Mailed I-130 to Chicago
April 28, 2011: Received NOA1 via text/email, file routed to CSC (priority date April 25th)
April 29, 2011: Updated
May 3, 2011: Received NOA1 hardcopy in mail
July 26, 2011: Received NOA2 via text/email!!!
July 30, 2011: Received NOA2 hardcopy in mail
August 8, 2011: NVC received file
September 1, 2011: NVC case number assigned
September 2, 2011: AOS invoice received, OPTIN email for EP sent
September 7, 2011: Paid AOS bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 9, 2011)
September 8, 2011: OPTIN email accepted, GZO number assigned
September 10, 2011: Emailed AOS package
September 12, 2011: IV bill invoiced
September 13, 2011: Paid IV bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 14, 2011)
September 14, 2011: Emailed IV package
October 3, 2011: Emailed checklist response (checklist generated due to typo on Form DS-230)
October 6, 2011: Case complete at NVC
November 10, 2011: Interview - APPROVED!!!
December 7, 2011: POE - Sea-Tac Airport

September 17, 2013: Mailed I-751 to CSC

September 23, 2013: Received NOA1 in mail (receipt date September 19th)

October 16, 2013: Biometrics Appointment

January 28, 2014: Production of new Green Card ordered

February 3, 2014: New Green Card received; done with USCIS until fall of 2023*

December 18, 2023:  Filed I-90 to renew Green Card

December 21, 2023:  Production of new Green Card ordered - will be seeing USCIS again every 10 years for renewal

Timeline
9 minutes ago, payxibka said:

I chose the word "placeholder,"  others includung yourself,  may choose to define it differently 

got it

Martin

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.