moxy

Did Sen. Ted Cruz fly to Cancún during the Texas freeze?

154 posts in this topic

3 minutes ago, moxy said:

Oh you can absolutely bet your next paycheck that if Nancy Pelosi's district were suffering from wild fires and she headed off to Cancun because, you know, she can't actually put fires out, there would be plenty of strong opinions circulating around here.

why would even want to "engage" them? what's there to sort out? I continue to be surprised that you guys keep trying. sorry, just thinking out loud. 

1 minute ago, Dashinka said:

The optics of what Cruz did was bad, but I agree with @Ban Hammer, there is really nothing he can do other than look like he is doing something.  Considering most of those leaning Left here did not engage in the Democrat Covid hypocrisy thread, there is really not much use engaging in this one.

Glad we agree on something. :)

Nobody on the planet thinks Cruz could have rolled up his sleeves and got the power back on. That's not what any of this is about. Although it's pretty hard for me to believe that a senior Senator with such a huge platform and pull within his party would be completely useless in a situation like this. But like I said, even if he really had done all that he could in terms of getting federal relief, there's still constituent outreach, which is a huge part of the job. You meet and commiserate with your constituents, you work with your local community to help bring relief, you serve warm meals, you deliver water. Or, you do none of that and you just stay home and be in it together with your fellow Texans. I'd be saying this no matter what party he's in, or how much I like or dislike him. Flying off to another country while your constituents suffer is very swampy behavior.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline
18 minutes ago, moxy said:

Oh you can absolutely bet your next paycheck that if Nancy Pelosi's district were suffering from wild fires and she headed off to Cancun because, you know, she can't actually put fires out, there would be plenty of strong opinions circulating around here.

i think if the power goes off at nancy's, there will be lots of ice cream to eat before it melts - which understandably would take priority.
also, i don't expect nancy to get out there and shovel dirt on flames - she'd be a hindrance instead of helpful (which describes her entire life)

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

2 minutes ago, Ban Hammer said:

i think if the power goes off at nancy's, there will be lots of ice cream to eat before it melts - which understandably would take priority.
also, i don't expect nancy to get out there and shovel dirt on flames - she'd be a hindrance instead of helpful (which describes her entire life)

I guess I don't understand the ice cream reference, but something like 25 million people have health insurance largely because of her. So maybe not too useless.

But to bring it back on topic, apparently Cruz has re-booked his tickets and is on a plane back to the states. So I guess even he figured out the optics were pretty bad on this. Or maybe he thought of something he could do to help his constituents.

Compassion and empathy are in short supply right now. Ted Cruz standing up and saying "I'm in this with you, let's work to make sure this doesn't happen again" would go far. He looks out of touch with the suffering of the people he represents. It looks like, "Suck it, I got mine and I'm outta here for some vacay in Cancun" when Ted Smith and his family have frozen pipes that exploded and flooded his home... through no fault of Mr. Smith's. Right now he looks a bit like Marie Antoinette. 

5 minutes ago, laylalex said:

Ted Cruz standing up and saying "I'm in this with you, let's work to make sure this doesn't happen again" would go far.

oh, that ship has sailed a long time ago (if it were docked in the first place, which is unlikely)

14 minutes ago, moxy said:

But to bring it back on topic, apparently Cruz has re-booked his tickets and is on a plane back to the states.

he must have read this thread

7 minutes ago, implife said:

he must have read this thread

Or read all the conservative pundits tweets and op-eds wondering what drug he was on to think this was a good idea.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline
39 minutes ago, moxy said:

I guess I don't understand the ice cream reference, but something like 25 million people have health insurance largely because of her. So maybe not too useless.

But to bring it back on topic, apparently Cruz has re-booked his tickets and is on a plane back to the states. So I guess even he figured out the optics were pretty bad on this. Or maybe he thought of something he could do to help his constituents.

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

33 minutes ago, laylalex said:

Compassion and empathy are in short supply right now. Ted Cruz standing up and saying "I'm in this with you, let's work to make sure this doesn't happen again" would go far. He looks out of touch with the suffering of the people he represents. It looks like, "Suck it, I got mine and I'm outta here for some vacay in Cancun" when Ted Smith and his family have frozen pipes that exploded and flooded his home... through no fault of Mr. Smith's. Right now he looks a bit like Marie Antoinette. 

Well he didn't say let them eat cake or anything. Although if he did, I'm sure his supporters would say it's nice that Ted want's us to have cake.

995507-quote-moderation-in-all-things-an

1 minute ago, implife said:

possibly. i'm oblivious to politics. visajourney is where i get my politics fix. 

omg I'm so sorry. ;)