PickleNCheese

K1 - Is there something wrong with this document? - Approved Petition for K1 - London Embassy

17 posts in this topic

Hi folks,

We've been in the K1 visa process waiting for contact from the NVC and/or the UK Embassy in London for over a year now.  Today I checked on our NVC Status to find out that our visa application has expired after a year(?!?).  We've been waiting for an Invoice # so we could sign up with CEAC, but we've never gotten one so I'm going crazy right now.

I'm pouring over our old contacts from the NVC and UK Embassy, to see if there might have been something that we missed or overlooked on our end and I noticed this {REL1} marking at the bottom of the letter we received from the London Embassy.  Maybe it could have been a bad mail merge that was supposed to contain more information for us? 

The attached letter was sent to us in January of 2020.  We really don't know what has happened, or what to do now.

Please, any help that anyone can give would be very much appreciated.  I'm just hoping somebody on this website has received the same letter and can confirm that this {REL1} mark is on theirs as well.

Thank you.

UK Embasy Welcome letter Rel1.jpg

56 minutes ago, PickleNCheese said:

and/or the UK Embassy in London for over a year now.

Your case may be affected by the UK and Ireland proclamation that became effective in mid-March. If so, the Milligan v. Pompeo lawyers for the Plaintiffs say they'll try to make the judge's order a wider/universal relief: https://www.facebook.com/kuckimmigration/videos/the-siskindjosephhallkuck-update-on-pending-litigation/250071949899560/ Start at 7:06

Either way, contact London about the most recent NVC status.

Edited by HRQX

This might come a bit too late but for a K1 you don't need an invoice # for ceac. Ceac is only used to check the status of your visa the rest is handled via ustraveldocs.

Edited by Letspaintcookies

58 minutes ago, Letspaintcookies said:

This might come a bit too late but for a K1 you don't need an invoice # for ceac. Ceac is only used to check the status of your visa the rest is handled via ustraveldocs.

I don't understand.  When I go to https://ceac.state.gov/IV/Login.aspx, it asks for my Case# and then asks me to "Enter the Invoice ID Number that the National Visa Center sent you".

When I go to the UK Embassy Appointment site (https://ais.usvisa-info.com/en-gb/iv/information/iv_services) it has a bunch of options that don't look right for us.  The closest one says "I have received a letter/email from the consular section with instructions to register or schedule a K (Fiancé(e)/Spouse/Child) visa appointment." but the above letter is all we got.  Is that letter that I posted above supposed to be the instructions to register?

We've been waiting all this time for instructions that say something like "Okay, go to the website and register now."  Are we complete idiots for waiting??

13 minutes ago, PickleNCheese said:

I don't understand.  When I go to https://ceac.state.gov/IV/Login.aspx, it asks for my Case# and then asks me to "Enter the Invoice ID Number that the National Visa Center sent you".

When I go to the UK Embassy Appointment site (https://ais.usvisa-info.com/en-gb/iv/information/iv_services) it has a bunch of options that don't look right for us.  The closest one says "I have received a letter/email from the consular section with instructions to register or schedule a K (Fiancé(e)/Spouse/Child) visa appointment." but the above letter is all we got.  Is that letter that I posted above supposed to be the instructions to register?

We've been waiting all this time for instructions that say something like "Okay, go to the website and register now."  Are we complete idiots for waiting??

https://www.ustraveldocs.com/

You will set up an account here, do the DS-160, pay the fees and when you get the go schedule an appointment. All on this site. 

Except the UK is doing it completely different from almost everybody else. But take a look at that page.

Edited by Letspaintcookies

Looking at your letter again maybe the option that you mentioned at the UK embassy page is the right one for you. Did you tried it? What happens when you click on it and gonforward? I would try it.

Filed: Timeline
5 hours ago, PickleNCheese said:

The attached letter was sent to us in January of 2020. 

5 hours ago, PickleNCheese said:

UK Embasy Welcome letter Rel1.jpg

First sentence of the letter says to go to the named website for detailed instructions on preparing for the interview and scheduling the interview.  Have you done that? The letter also has a case number... Im not sure exactly what you were waiting for or why you are going to a website other then what they told you.

40 minutes ago, PickleNCheese said:

Is that letter that I posted above supposed to be the instructions to register?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline
7 hours ago, PickleNCheese said:

You were told to go to https://uk.usembassy.gov/visas/fiancee-2/applying-for-the-visa/ for your London instructions. (Yes that is the letter) The embassy website gives you step by step info on the steps to take, the medical, the interview and documents to bring, the courier, etc.

"I have received a letter/email from the consular section with instructions to register or schedule a K (Fiancé(e)/Spouse/Child) visa appointment” is the choice to make. The website tells you to choose that.

On website:

This is an overview of the steps required to apply for a visa. Keep reading our website for more detailed information, including how to book your medical exam, a list of documents required on the day of your visa interview and what to expect during your interview.

That letter (something marked out?) would have the new case number LNDXXXXXXXXXX. LND is for a London case. That’s the number needed for CEAC. The NVC would have sent the same number to the American fiancé and said the case was being forwarded to London. 

7 hours ago, PickleNCheese said:

Well maybe. If that letter was dated before March 2020, you could have already had your visa. In March shutdowns began, Covid and Trump travel proclamation suspended mostly all but spouse visas. London has not allowed K1 appointments since March. If you are past a year, you may be out of luck. That Information posted above about bringing a new letter of intent to the interview no longer applies to you if you are past 12 months from the letter date.

This is how to contact the embassy https://uk.usembassy.gov/visas/iv-contact_form/. Write in you LND case number.

For informational purposes, what is the date on that letter?

Edited by Wuozopo

• 3 weeks later...
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Hello.

i have just come across this topic. We also have the same issue, however, we have not received anything from the embassy more than their statement on the 12 month extension, despite trying to contact them. Is this message of expiry on the CEAC status page one of those automated updated that was overlooked by admin and unconnected to the process at the embassy? Our documents are at the embassy in London, but I don’t know if they have access to the CEAC status updates.

What is concerning is that the CEAC status message said that they apparently informed us that they will cancel and destroy our petition documents - this is worrying in that we received no such communication and if the services aren’t being resumed, would they have actually destroyed stuff?

We are hoping it’s an admin issue about the CEAC expiration status, and that it materially doesn’t affect things and that our petitions can be reinstated and resumed when normality returns.

9 hours ago, Aaron&Clari said:

We are hoping it’s an admin issue about the CEAC expiration status, and that it materially doesn’t affect things and that our petitions can be reinstated and resumed when normality returns.

We're hoping the same thing.  Based on the information that the London embassy gave us when we reached out to them in response to seeing our application had "expired" and our materials have been "destroyed", they are telling us that we will still be able to apply for the K1 once K1 services resume, we will just need to provide an updated letter of intent to marry at the time of the interview.

Our plan is to wait until the Embassy opens back up and London is no longer in lock down so we can travel for the medical, and then fill out the DS-160 and pay our fees and get everything started back up.  I don't think that the fact that application expired means that you are no longer eligible to apply for the K1.

I hope.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

It does seem reassuring that the embassy gave that reply. Hopefully in the next couple of days, we will hear back from them also. I’m sure there are more than just us out there, so maybe it will urge the embassy to do something.  The embassy website does seem to suggest that all is needed is the new letter of intent in case of “expiry”.

1 hour ago, NSMS0809 said:

Any guesses as to when London Embassy will resume regular visa appointments?!

In regards to K-1, the current Administration has gotten even stricter in applying the unlawful "No Visa Policy." There is an ongoing court case where the lawyers for the Plaintiffs are going to try to amend the judge's existing order into a wider/universal relief. But the government lawyers have said they'll fight that motion:

IMO, odds are that the Plaintiff lawyers would win on that motion.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline
On 3/6/2021 at 11:31 AM, PickleNCheese said:

ur plan is to wait until the Embassy opens back up and London is no longer in lock down so we can travel for the medical, and then fill out the DS-160 and pay our fees and get everything started back up.  I don't think that the fact that application expired means that you are no longer eligible to apply for the K1.

Your petition expired. You haven’t applied for the visa yet. The approved petition clears you to apply for a visa. The application is the DS-160. I would get the DS-160 submitted so they know you are still in the ballgame and are still working toward a K1.  Some people break up and never carry through, so after a year of no action on the approved petition sent to them, it’s past it’s shelf life and London throws it out. Admittedly, the past year has thrown a spanner into the works so they probably aren’t sure what to do themselves.  

Before the CEAC automation, London used to send a snail mail letter they prepared to the beneficiary of the petition at about the six month mark of no action. It essentially said Are you going to apply for the visa or not? Get on it.

Edited by Wuozopo

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.