ss.hendrix

Adjustment of status (merged topics)

12 posts in this topic

I moved from New Jersey to Texas last August, updated my address and got a confirmation. However my biometrics appointment was sent to the old New Jersey address in January—USCIS didn’t updates on the website that they had sent biometrics letter but luckily someone at my old address contacted me that I had received mail. I had to fly back to New Jersey for the appointment. Currently, it says my I-485 is ready to be scheduled for interview and that my I-765 fingerprints was received. My concern is that I don’t know if if my interview letter and EAD will get sent to the old address and if it does I’m not sure how lucky I will be this time to even get the letter if it does get sent there. Any tips as to what I can do? I tried calling USCIS to speak to a live agent but everything automated.  

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Sweden
Timeline

Are you able to send them a message when you log into your USCIS account? I did that, and they ended up calling me to confirm the adress change with me and made sure that it was changed everywhere.

If not, when you call them say "technical issues" and that should connect you to a person. That worked for me at least.

AOS

08/25/2020 - Sent I-130, I-485, I-131 and I-765 to Chicago Lockbox using USPS                                         11/06/2020 - Received physical receipt notice for I-765 in the mail

08/28/2020 - Package was received by USCIS                                                                                                   12/15/2020 - Online account updated and indicated the I-944 RFIE was sent

09/25/2020 - Debit Card was charged by USCIS                                                                                                 12/28/2020 - Recieved the I-944 RFIE via e-mail after speaking with a tier 2 officer

09/29/2020 - Recieved text notifications from USCIS with reciept numbers                                                  1/11/2021 - Responded to the RFIE and sent the I-944 to USCIS 

10/01/2020 - Recieved rejected I-765 back                                                                                                           3/3/2021 - Biometrics scheduled for 03/29

10/05/2020 - Recieved physical reciept notices in the mail

10/06/2020 - Sent I-765 to Chicago Lockbox using UPS

10/09/2020 - Package was recieved by USCIS

10/30/2020 - Recieved text notication from USCIS with reciept number for I-765

Hi!

A very similar thing happened to me -- at the time that we had filed, we had just moved to our apartment in PA and were struggling to reliably receive mail. As such, we used my in-laws' address in CT for our mailing address, but specified the different mailing and physical addresses in the appropriate fields on the forms. Somehow, lines got crossed and the mailing address was used as my permanent address and my biometrics ended up being scheduled in a different state. Like you, I went for the biometrics (an 8 hour drive) and submitted a change of address to try and rectify the situation. This was back in October. We're fearful that our interview will be scheduled in the wrong jurisdiction, based on the wrong address, leading to delays or (worst case) a denial.

I've called a few times now to confirm that the proper address is on file, and the best I can get from the tier 1 agents is that both addresses appear on some of the case numbers, and just the updated one on the others. I've been put in the tier two call back queue twice now and haven't gotten a call (apparently tier 2 officers can edit the addresses manually while tier ones cannot). I recently had my EAD/AP approved and mailed to me, and the combo card and I-765 approval notice made it to the right address but the approval notice for the I-131 was sent to my in-laws' (interestingly enough, the I-131 is the only form we filed with only one space for an address, so we used our physical address.. it never had the other mailing address associated with it, yet somehow the approval notice was sent to the other address). 

Long winded response all to say, address changes seem to be really difficult with USCIS, for reasons that are unknown. Stories like yours an mine come up regularly in the AOS boards here -- most recently a story of a couple from Boston comes to mind, who mistakenly had their interview scheduled in Hartford after their change of address wasn't recorded properly in their file. If you call the 1-800 number, say "technical difficulties" when she asks how she can help you, and then when prompted, say "technical issues". This will put you through to a tier one officer who can at least see which address you have on file.

02/22/20 -- AOS package (I-130/I-485/I-864/I-765/I-131) sent to USCIS

02/25/20 -- Package delivered to Chicago Lockbox

03/17/20 -- Cheques cashed and text messages received

03/20/20 -- Received NOAs in the mail (I-130/I-486/I-765/I-131)

05/04/20 -- Received I-693 courtesy letter

10/11/20 -- Received biometrics notice (finally! Yay!)

10/21/20 -- Biometrics (I485/I765 Code 3, I-131 Code 2 in Hartford, CT)

10/23/20 -- Biometrics applied to all cases (I-485/I-765/I-131)

10/27/20 -- Case ready to be scheduled for an interview (location unknown 😅)

11/12/20 -- Second biometrics appointment (I-131, Code 2, in Pittsburgh, PA)

01/20/21 -- I-765 Expedite Request Submitted

01/29/21 -- I-765 Expedite Request Approved

02/01/21 -- I-765/I-131 Approved

02/16/21 -- Interview was Scheduled

02/17/21 -- Interview confirmed to be scheduled at the wrong FO, request to reschedule interview initiated

03/16/21 -- Interview cancelled, entered into scheduling queue for the correct FO

05/14/21 -- Interview rescheduled

06/25/21 -- Interview completed in Pittsburgh, approved on the spot 🙏❤️ 

I submitted that change of address 3 times (plus updates online account) and submitted a service request before the change actually took effect. Wow. 

The only way I found out the changes weren't effective was through the live chat when I was contacting them about another issue. They happened to mention my address didn't match what I told them. I would suggest calling again to confirm address change has since been processed!

Good luck!

March 2019: Married, Filed I-130 in April 2019

AOS: Filed June 10, 2020, Received June 13, 2020, Cheque cashed July 16

(I-130 approved in Oct 2019 because we were originally doing consular CR-1 processing)
NOAs July 24 (dated July 17) 2020
Biometrics Jan 7, 2021 (notice dated Dec 12, received Dec 22)
Case updated to 'Interview Scheduled' (Jan 19, 2021, received letter Jan 25)

February 24! Interview! New Card being produced!

Feb 25, 2021: Case approved.

March 1, 2021: Card was mailed

March 4, 2021: Green Card Received! 🥳

March 25, 2021: SSN Application
March 29, 2021: Received SSN
Dec 5, 2022: I-751 ROC Delivered to Lockbox

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Bulgaria
Timeline

Are you able to ask USPS to forward any mail from the old address to the new one? I know they have a forwarding service for when you move, not sure if it has any limitations but you could look into.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
53 minutes ago, catmom said:

Are you able to ask USPS to forward any mail from the old address to the new one? I know they have a forwarding service for when you move, not sure if it has any limitations but you could look into.

A lot of USCIS mail is NOT forwardable 

YMMV

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Bulgaria
Timeline
41 minutes ago, payxibka said:

What a bummer! Good to know though. I guess that explains why no one had suggested mail forwarding. 

1 hour ago, payxibka said:

My biometrics letter was forwarded from old address. Thankfully! But I know we are getting a lot of mail for previous owner despite them having mail forwarding--it's definitely hit and miss!

March 2019: Married, Filed I-130 in April 2019

AOS: Filed June 10, 2020, Received June 13, 2020, Cheque cashed July 16

(I-130 approved in Oct 2019 because we were originally doing consular CR-1 processing)
NOAs July 24 (dated July 17) 2020
Biometrics Jan 7, 2021 (notice dated Dec 12, received Dec 22)
Case updated to 'Interview Scheduled' (Jan 19, 2021, received letter Jan 25)

February 24! Interview! New Card being produced!

Feb 25, 2021: Case approved.

March 1, 2021: Card was mailed

March 4, 2021: Green Card Received! 🥳

March 25, 2021: SSN Application
March 29, 2021: Received SSN
Dec 5, 2022: I-751 ROC Delivered to Lockbox

• 7 months later...

Hi every one. I filed for adjustment of status 429 days ago, July 2020 (family based, marriage). My case status is still showing as case is ready to be scheduled for interview since January. I’ve called uscis a few times and they said that it’s outside the window so they’ll put in a request for me. 30 days have passed since the request and no reply. I recalled uscis and they put in another request but still no reply. What to do? 

I filed in NJ but moved to PA since May. In august I called uscis and they said my case paper work is in Missouri….I’m so confused. Everyone in the July2020 adjustment of status filers group has had their interview and received their greencard. Can someone help me?

1 hour ago, ss.hendrix said:

Hi every one. I filed for adjustment of status 429 days ago, July 2020 (family based, marriage). My case status is still showing as case is ready to be scheduled for interview since January. I’ve called uscis a few times and they said that it’s outside the window so they’ll put in a request for me. 30 days have passed since the request and no reply. I recalled uscis and they put in another request but still no reply. What to do? 

I filed in NJ but moved to PA since May. In august I called uscis and they said my case paper work is in Missouri….I’m so confused. Everyone in the July2020 adjustment of status filers group has had their interview and received their greencard. Can someone help me?

Did you notify them of your address change?

• Ryan H changed the title to Adjustment of status (merged topics)
Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

~~~Similar topics merged~~~

Our journey:

Spoiler

September 2007: Met online via social networking site (MySpace); began exchanging messages.
March 26, 2009: We become a couple!
September 10, 2009: Arrived for first meeting in-person!
June 17, 2010: Arrived for second in-person meeting and start of travel together to other areas of China!
June 21, 2010: Engaged!!!
September 1, 2010: Switched course from K1 to CR-1
December 8, 2010: Wedding date set; it will be on February 18, 2011!
February 9, 2011: Depart for China
February 11, 2011: Registered for marriage in Wuhan, officially married!!!
February 18, 2011: Wedding ceremony in Shiyan!!!
April 22, 2011: Mailed I-130 to Chicago
April 28, 2011: Received NOA1 via text/email, file routed to CSC (priority date April 25th)
April 29, 2011: Updated
May 3, 2011: Received NOA1 hardcopy in mail
July 26, 2011: Received NOA2 via text/email!!!
July 30, 2011: Received NOA2 hardcopy in mail
August 8, 2011: NVC received file
September 1, 2011: NVC case number assigned
September 2, 2011: AOS invoice received, OPTIN email for EP sent
September 7, 2011: Paid AOS bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 9, 2011)
September 8, 2011: OPTIN email accepted, GZO number assigned
September 10, 2011: Emailed AOS package
September 12, 2011: IV bill invoiced
September 13, 2011: Paid IV bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 14, 2011)
September 14, 2011: Emailed IV package
October 3, 2011: Emailed checklist response (checklist generated due to typo on Form DS-230)
October 6, 2011: Case complete at NVC
November 10, 2011: Interview - APPROVED!!!
December 7, 2011: POE - Sea-Tac Airport

September 17, 2013: Mailed I-751 to CSC

September 23, 2013: Received NOA1 in mail (receipt date September 19th)

October 16, 2013: Biometrics Appointment

January 28, 2014: Production of new Green Card ordered

February 3, 2014: New Green Card received; done with USCIS until fall of 2023*

December 18, 2023:  Filed I-90 to renew Green Card

December 21, 2023:  Production of new Green Card ordered - will be seeing USCIS again every 10 years for renewal

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.