Marthaeu

Long wait for interviews CR1 IR1

79 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline
On 2/12/2021 at 5:51 PM, pushbrk said:

The US Department of State, controls US embassies.  Since there HAVE been spouse visas issued in Bogota in December and January, your assertion that appointments are not assigned is false.  You're in the queue.  Whether you wait patiently or not patiently, is up to you.

Have there been souse visas issued in December and January?  How do you know this?   Were they issued because they were emergencies or routine?

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Gambia
Timeline
On 2/12/2021 at 6:26 PM, EA and MK said:

Problem is, these have all been emergency/expedited cases. The frustrating part with the Embassy in Colombia is that Panama, Ecuador, Peru, Bolivia, Chile, etc. have resumed limited immigrant visa services specifically for IR1/2 and CR1/2 . I understand the only thing that can be done is wait, but it's just frustrating that every country around Colombia (except Brazil) has started to process spouse visas. Wish there was some transparency to understand if it's Colombia's health emergency decree that's still active and keeping the Embassy closed, or if there's a shortage in staff? IDK...

Is Senegal in west Africa is trying to catch .up just be patient

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline
48 minutes ago, James & Helga said:

Have there been souse visas issued in December and January?  How do you know this?   Were they issued because they were emergencies or routine?

Check here:  or you could check my earlier comment:  https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/Statistics/Immigrant-Statistics/MonthlyIVIssuances/DECEMBER 2020 - IV Issuances by Post and Visa Class.pdf

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Timeline
33 minutes ago, Lucky Cat said:

Ah ok.  Great.  Thanks.  That at least provides some hope that the wheels are turning at the embassy in Bogota.

Timeline
On 2/13/2021 at 5:06 AM, Marthaeu said:

You cannot say that it is false because they themselves leave on the page that they are assigning only emergency appointments so there are delays of 14 months. It is a fact.  My DQ is Oct 7/2020 and I should be getting an appointment this month but now I am on a 14 month waiting line. Thank you for your comment.

I DQ'd a week ago and thought I would be notified of my wife's visa interview date some time next month for her interview in Bogota. And if I understand your post.....you were DQ'd in October 2020 and haven't even been given an appointment date..... Or did you actually get assigned an appointment date 14 months into the future?

Edited by WEDO

Timeline
On 2/13/2021 at 3:20 PM, majm said:

We have been DQ at NVC since July 2020 (3 months ahead of you). The situation is terrible, but there is nothing we can do about it. The embassy in Bogota is not unique in cancelling interview appointments, but they have been particularly affected by the city repeatedly locking down. There's not much the embassy can do when the city is in mandatory quarantine, they are under their rules (and to be fair, it would likely be more frustrating to start scheduling interviews only to cancel them again whenever the city decides to shut down).

Unless one has a genuine emergency that is approved by the embassy, we will all be dealing with the scheduling backlog once the embassy resumes normal processing. It sucks, but take some comfort in knowing you have done everything you can do. Perhaps the only "good thing" in this situation is that if you have been married for more than 2 years by the time your spouse enters the US (which is likely going to happen for many people stuck in this delay) your spouse will be IR-1, and won't need to remove conditions related to CR-1.

Yup, that is definitely our case.  We were married in January 2019.  My wife should receive a green card that’s good for ten years.  That is a small silver lining, but it is one positive thing out of all of this.

Timeline
Just now, James & Helga said:

That is a small silver lining, but it is one positive thing out of all of this.

I agree.  My wife entered the US via her CR-1 only 30 days short of or second anniversary.  I wish she had waited the extra month.  

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Timeline
6 minutes ago, Lucky Cat said:

I agree.  My wife entered the US via her CR-1 only 30 days short of or second anniversary.  I wish she had waited the extra month.  

You know I was never sure what the difference between a CR-1 and an IR-1.  I take it IR-1s are for couples that have been married over two years?   Also, I saw the acronym “DQ” in this thread.  What is “DQ”?   Dairy Queen is not part of the visa process, right? - Ha!  Having a sense of humor can’t hurt in times like these!

Timeline
4 minutes ago, James & Helga said:

You know I was never sure what the difference between a CR-1 and an IR-1.  I take it IR-1s are for couples that have been married over two years?   Also, I saw the acronym “DQ” in this thread.  What is “DQ”?   Dairy Queen is not part of the visa process, right? - Ha!  Having a sense of humor can’t hurt in times like these!

"DQ" Document Qualified means NVC has accepted the required documents you have sent them.  Once your case is "DQ'd", your case is put in the queue at NVC for an interview at your consulate.  Once your case reaches the front of that queue, NVC will schedule your interview.

If the holder of a spousal visa enters the US on or after 2 years of marriage, he/she should receive a 10 year Green Card instead of a 2 year conditional Green Card.

Edited by Lucky Cat

Timeline
1 minute ago, Lucky Cat said:

"DQ" Document Qualified means NVC has accepted the required documents you have sent them.  Once your case is "DQ'd", your case is put in the queue at NVC for an interview at your consulate.  Once your case reaches the front of that queue, NVC will schedule your interview.

If the holder of a spousal visa enters the US on or after 2 years of marriage, he/she should receive a 10 year Green Card instead of a 2 year conditional Green Card.

Ah yes, I now I remember the the term “document qualified”.  Thanks!  It seems so long ago since I heard that acronym. Appreciate the info on the IR-1.  I wonder if our status will automatically transition us from CR-1 to IR-1.  I have to say, I learn a lot from reading these threads!

Timeline

17 minutes ago, WEDO said:

I DQ'd a week ago and thought I would be notified of my wife's visa interview date some time next month for her interview in Bogota. And if I understand your post.....you were DQ'd in October 2020 and haven't even been given an appointment date..... Or did you actually get assigned an appointment date 14 months into the future?

You can assume there is at least 1 year of backlogged interviews for Bogota considering they stopped routine scheduling in early 2020 and haven't scheduled since. We have been DQ since July 2020 and our file is still sitting at NVC with everyone else waiting for interview scheduling 😞 I would prepare for a long wait, especially considering they will likely re-schedule based on your "priority date" and/or DQ date at NVC.

https://ceac.state.gov/CEACStatTracker/Status.aspx

7 minutes ago, James & Helga said:

Yup, that is definitely our case.  We were married in January 2019.  My wife should receive a green card that’s good for ten years.  That is a small silver lining, but it is one positive thing out of all of this.

Yep, it's something. The fee to "remove conditions" from CR-1 is about $700.

Timeline
8 minutes ago, majm said:

You can assume there is at least 1 year of backlogged interviews for Bogota considering they stopped routine scheduling in early 2020 and haven't scheduled since. We have been DQ since July 2020 and our file is still sitting at NVC with everyone else waiting for interview scheduling 😞 I would prepare for a long wait, especially considering they will likely re-schedule based on your "priority date" and/or DQ date at NVC.

https://ceac.state.gov/CEACStatTracker/Status.aspx

Yep, it's something. The fee to "remove conditions" from CR-1 is about $700.

Oh wow.  So being married for over two years will save us $700?  I’m good with that!  Yes, it’s been a long wait.  My wife’s interview appointment was scheduled for April 6, 2020.  She had scheduled her physical, etc.  A week before her interview we received the e-mail that her appointment was canceled because of covid.  And we’re still waiting like everyone else.  

Edited by James & Helga

Timeline
 1 minute ago, James & Helga said:

Oh wow.  So being married for over two years will save us $700?  I’m good with that!  Yes, it’s been a long wait.  My wife’s interview appointment was scheduled for April 6, 2020.  She had scheduled her physical, etc.  A week before her interview we received the e-mail that her appointment was canceled because of covid.  And we’re still waiting like everyone else.  

Sorry to hear about your interview timing 😞 I have read similar stories on here from people that were just about to interview and be done with this process, only to have the brakes slammed on in March. Hopefully you guys will have the first shot at rescheduling when the embassy re-opens. Is your case still at NVC, or did NVC actually send it to the consulate already?

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Peru
Timeline

Long time reader, first time poster. A lot of people are in pain from being apart from their loved ones thru this complex process, lengthened even more than usual by covid. There's no need for rudeness when people are expressing their frustrations. Sometimes we are the only ones we have to discuss this topic with. Peru is also not doing CR1 interviews, I have reason to believe the few done in December were emergency only. Lima is back in lockdown this month. Our DQ was Oct 2020. I think most of us are understanding of the difficulties embassies face with covid, just like everyone is facing. But they've done little in the way of providing visibility into our position in the queue, criteria to be met for when interviews may begin again, and any prediction of timing for our interview to be scheduled after interviews do begin. Hearing someone here say that we may be waiting a year for an interview after we've been apart for so long as a married couple is very difficult news to swallow, especially on Valentine's Day. A little compassion from everyone goes a long way. An email from the NVC or embassy explaining that they understand we're frustrated during this difficult time and giving some helpful info would be better than the black hole we currently have. I am happy to learn of the small blessing that my wife may get an IR1 instead of CR1, but extremely sad if we have to wait the 6 more months when that eligibility would happen. Best of luck to all.

Timeline
15 minutes ago, majm said:

Sorry to hear about your interview timing 😞 I have read similar stories on here from people that were just about to interview and be done with this process, only to have the brakes slammed on in March. Hopefully you guys will have the first shot at rescheduling when the embassy re-opens. Is your case still at NVC, or did NVC actually send it to the consulate already?

Thanks!   Im pretty sure that the NVC had sent the case to the consulate already.  We’re just going to have to be patient.  

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.