ioxtremod

Do you need to update DMV and SSA offices before getting a passport?

16 posts in this topic

The usual advice was to update DMV and SSA first as you need to send the naturalization certificate by mail for getting a passport. 

However It's COVID times. SSA doesn't take appointments at the moment and it takes close to a month to get an appointment at my local DMV.

Does it make sense to skip these for now and directly apply for a passport? I've also heard at the ceremony that it will take up to two weeks for USCIS to update records and you don't want to start anything before that, is that accurate?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline
18 minutes ago, ioxtremod said:

The usual advice was to update DMV and SSA first as you need to send the naturalization certificate by mail for getting a passport. 

However It's COVID times. SSA doesn't take appointments at the moment and it takes close to a month to get an appointment at my local DMV.

Does it make sense to skip these for now and directly apply for a passport? I've also heard at the ceremony that it will take up to two weeks for USCIS to update records and you don't want to start anything before that, is that accurate?

We skipped it and went for passport first due to international travel.  Just mailed the passport to Social Security this past Friday.  Not bothering with the Driver license at all.  

2 minutes ago, gregcrs2 said:

We skipped it and went for passport first due to international travel.  Just mailed the passport to Social Security this past Friday.  Not bothering with the Driver license at all.  

Thanks for the reply! Have you waited a couple of weeks or just submitted passport applications right away after naturalization?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline
3 minutes ago, ioxtremod said:

Thanks for the reply! Have you waited a couple of weeks or just submitted passport applications right away after naturalization?

Submitted right away.  Recommend paying for expedited service.

I didn’t do it even before COVID. Wonder who recommended it to you? At our oath ceremony (old days of big ones) they had agents to take passport applications right after the ceremony but had said to wait a few weeks before updating at SS offices, something about allowing systems to get updated. So in no way was there any suggestion SS needed to be done first.

Filed: FB-2 Visa Country: Nepal
Timeline

I"m avoiding SSA update unless I can go in person. I'm already scared sending original NC for passport. Don't want that situation again if I can avoid it. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Portugal
Timeline
On 2/8/2021 at 9:14 PM, SusieQQQ said:

I didn’t do it even before COVID. Wonder who recommended it to you? At our oath ceremony (old days of big ones) they had agents to take passport applications right after the ceremony but had said to wait a few weeks before updating at SS offices, something about allowing systems to get updated. So in no way was there any suggestion SS needed to be done first.

I just took my oath this past Friday. The officer who did it with me told me to first update SSA, then DMV, then apply for passport.

The K1 journey:                                                                                                                             The AOS journey:

11/09/2013 - I-129F Packet mailed to Dallas Lockbox                                                                                         06/22/2015 - AOS packet mailed to Chicago Lockbox

02/14/2014 - Case shipped to Embassy, where it waited for over a year at my request                                 11/07/2015 - AOS approved (EAD and AP had already been approved) - there was no interview

05/21/2015 - Interview - Approved

06/19/2015 - Wedding (L) 

The ROC journey:                                                                                                                         

10/12/2017 - ROC packet mailed to VSC

01/21/2019 - ROC Approved - there was no interview

The N-400 journey:

02/16/2020 - N-400 application filed online

02/21/2020 - Paper NOA received in the mail

03/13/2020 - Biometrics

02/02/2021 - Interview & test - Approved

02/05/2021 - Oath Ceremony

JOrOp1.png

45 minutes ago, SparklePony said:

I just took my oath this past Friday. The officer who did it with me told me to first update SSA, then DMV, then apply for passport.

Ok, well, I have a passport, and have voted twice (primaries and general), and still haven’t got SS updated 🤷‍♀️ 

• 4 weeks later...
Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Pakistan
Timeline
On 2/9/2021 at 5:26 PM, ioxtremod said:

Good to know, thanks!

Hello how long was your application was stuck at recommended for approval for quality review? have the same problem. Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

I became a citizen at 2.47 pm yesterday. By 2.56 pm my voter registration was complete. 

I applied for my passport this morning. 

Why do I need to update the SSA? Or the DMV? 

Timeline in brief:

Married: September 27, 2014

I-130 filed: February 5, 2016

NOA1: February 8, 2016 Nebraska

NOA2: July 21, 2016

Interview: December 6, 2016 London

POE: December 19, 2016 Las Vegas

N-400 filed: September 30, 2019

Interview: March 22, 2021 Seattle

Oath: March 22, 2021 COVID-style same-day oath

Now a US citizen!

Filed: Timeline
17 hours ago, JFH said:

I became a citizen at 2.47 pm yesterday. By 2.56 pm my voter registration was complete. 

I applied for my passport this morning. 

Why do I need to update the SSA? Or the DMV? 

You don't need to unless you need SS benefits/retiring (SSA) or changed your name (SSA+DMV).

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.