cyyz2000

Turning 21 in 3 Weeks - CSPA Questions

5 posts in this topic

Filed: F-3 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Hi everyone, I'm wondering if I should email the NVC or USCIS after turning 21 to request CSPA? My case is about 10 days away from becoming current as per the February 2021 Visa Bulletin, but I'm not sure how long that will take in terms of months. 

My case was pending for about 2 years and it is DQ'd at this point. Just waiting for it to become current now. Is emailing a good idea? I think I read somewhere that once your case becomes current, your CSPA age (real age - pending time) becomes frozen. I am in the F3 family category if that helps. 

Thank you

CSPA is automatically calculated if applicable, though NVC has been known to occasionally take off derivatives who still qualify. (It seems it’s usually quite simple to get added back if they do that.) So you may want to email them to apply cspa, though it shouldn’t be necessary to do so.

If I understand your post correctly you have about 2 years protection on CSPA. And yes your age gets frozen when the case becomes current. 

Timeline
10 minutes ago, SusieQQQ said:

CSPA is automatically calculated if applicable, though NVC has been known to occasionally take off derivatives who still qualify. (It seems it’s usually quite simple to get added back if they do that.) So you may want to email them to apply cspa, though it shouldn’t be necessary to do so.

If I understand your post correctly you have about 2 years protection on CSPA. And yes your age gets frozen when the case becomes current. 

Alright, that makes sense. Thank you for your response. I'll probably email them after my 21st birthday. And yes, it should be roughly 21 years old + 1 year 10 months (1.83 years), so I think CSPA will only apply until October 2022.

18 minutes ago, cyyz2000 said:

Alright, that makes sense. Thank you for your response. I'll probably email them after my 21st birthday. And yes, it should be roughly 21 years old + 1 year 10 months (1.83 years), so I think CSPA will only apply until October 2022.

Well - it’s not your birthday that’s as important for cspa as when your priority date becomes current - I’d wait for the latter so you actually know that it applies before contacting them.

Timeline
20 minutes ago, SusieQQQ said:

Well - it’s not your birthday that’s as important for cspa as when your priority date becomes current - I’d wait for the latter so you actually know that it applies before contacting them.

Yes, that makes sense. I'll wait until it becomes current then. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.