victoire.price@gm

Parents visiting from France, quarantine in Mexico, what tickets to get?

19 posts in this topic

Hello,

I live in the US with on a 10 year green card and my parents would like to come visit me. We were thinking of meeting in Mexico for 2 weeks and then would take a plane from Mexico to Texas (where I live). I've been reading online that people recommend getting a return ticket. In my parent's case, do you all think they should get a ticket France-Mexico with a return ticket to France, even if they'll have another ticket Mexico-US? Or is it fine to buy just a one way ticket to Mexico, one ticket Mexico-US and US-France?

Thank you for your help!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline

A return ticket or onward ticket from the US is required for those entering/visiting the US via VWP.     

"Or is it fine to buy just a one way ticket to Mexico, one ticket Mexico-US and US-France?"   YES

Edited by Lucky Cat

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Timeline
3 minutes ago, victoire.price@gm said:

I am more worried about them being rejected in Mexico. I heard a case where a French woman flew into Mexico with a one way ticket and had tickets to go to the States on a J1 and got sent back to France by Mexican authorities.

Thanks!

I would think her onward ticket was not the issue.  Why would the Mexican authorities care where a departing person's destination is?

Edited by Lucky Cat

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ireland
Timeline
46 minutes ago, victoire.price@gm said:

I am more worried about them being rejected in Mexico. I heard a case where a French woman flew into Mexico with a one way ticket and had tickets to go to the States on a J1 and got sent back to France by Mexican authorities.

Thanks!

Out of an abundance of caution, you could ensure that your parents have all of their ticket information on them for each trip in their journey to see you. If they get scrutinized by any boarder guards, they'll have proof that they do not intend to stay readily available to show.

👐

Patience......patience.

2 hours ago, jan22 said:

Either way would likely work. Just be very careful with your dates.  Departing from the US to Mexico does not stop the 90-day VWP clock, so they must be sure and leave Mexico before the 90- day mark of their VWP entry ends.

Isn’t that only relevant if they want to re-enter the US? VWP does not govern their stay in Mexico.

Filed: Timeline
2 hours ago, SusieQQQ said:

Isn’t that only relevant if they want to re-enter the US? VWP does not govern their stay in Mexico.

Not necessarily.  For example, if they stayed in Mexico until the 91st day, an officer could determine at the next attempted entry into the US that they had overstayed their VWP entry on this visit and deny entry.  Not common, but it has happened.

Edited by jan22

Timeline
1 minute ago, jan22 said:

Not necessarily.  For example, if they stayed in Mexico until the 91st day, an officer could determine at the next attempted entry into the US that they had overstayed their VWP entry on this visit and deny entry.  Not common, but it has happened.

No one has said they are traveling from the US to Mexico........they are traveling France>>Mexico>>>US>>>France.

Filed: Timeline
12 minutes ago, Lucky Cat said:

No one has said they are traveling from the US to Mexico........they are traveling France>>Mexico>>>US>>>France.

One of the options -- unless I mis-read or misunderstood, which is possible -- was France to Mexico then [Mexico to US to Mexico on a separate ticket] then Mexico to France, i.e., France to Mexico to US to Mexico to France if it was all done on the same ticket.

Edited by jan22

7 hours ago, jan22 said:

Well that just doesn’t sound right. VWP is return or onward, the time restrictions are for neighboring countries when you return to the US. Would like to see the details of the case you mentioned?

DoS website specifically says 90 days and less limit applies when you want readmission to the US https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/us-visas/tourism-visit/visa-waiver-program.html 

The US embassy in UK also specifically states this in faq form: https://uk.usembassy.gov/visas/non-immigrant-visa-faqs/visa-waiver-program-and-esta/

If I enter the United States visa free under the Visa Waiver Program, can I then travel to Canada/Mexico/ Bermuda or the islands in the Caribbean?

Yes, provided you have a return or onward ticket. If your return journey will take you back through the United States, even if only in transit, the total trip, including both periods of time spent in the United States/Canada/Mexico Bermuda, or the islands in the Caribbean cannot exceed 90 days. If it does, you will require a visa.

There is another FAQ further down about flying into the US and flying out from Canada or Mexico, the 90 day period is not mentioned at all here, the only requirement is that all tickets have been bought before the first entry.

Hello,

I am getting confused now.. the French airline is telling my parents they need another visa besides ESTA to get to the US. Is ESTA the same as VWP? They only plan on staying 2 weeks in Mexico (due to COVID) and 2 weeks with me in the US.

What additional visa do you think they need? Thank you

1 hour ago, victoire.price@gm said:

Hello,

I am getting confused now.. the French airline is telling my parents they need another visa besides ESTA to get to the US. Is ESTA the same as VWP? They only plan on staying 2 weeks in Mexico (due to COVID) and 2 weeks with me in the US.

What additional visa do you think they need? Thank you

VWP and ESTA are linked but not the same thing, you need an ESTA to travel by air (or sea) under the VWP.

Have no idea what they mean, if the airline is telling them they need a visa then it should tell them what/why. Your parents are on french passports, right? There is no difference on the Covid ban whether VWP or visa. Can your parents check if their ESTA is still active? Have heard some people say some have been automatically cancelled.

Edited by SusieQQQ

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

I thought they were flying to Mexico?

Pretty sure Air France does not fly from Mexico to the US.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.