al-9000

My journey so far - plus London K-1 questions

23 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Hi, I know many of us K1 applicants are stuck in limbo but was wondering if anyone could help with any answers for me. (And assure me I'm not missing something obvious regarding K1 appointments.)

I'm a UK citizen currently stuck in the UK and my Finance and daughter (both US citizens) are in the US. In Feb 2019, we sold up and shipped eveything to the US, and they've been there since. I travelled back and forth to the UK every 3 months during our K1 application process. I returned in March 2020 for the medical and interview, and we had planned to re-unite on a family trip to Ireland in July, at which point everything should have been sorted and we'd all head back to the states together. I managed to get my medical done, then lockdown hit. I've not seen them since.

I had the medical on 17 March, but have been not been able to get passed the MRV fee payment/schedule appointment stage on the website (obviously because of no appointments). 

That medical is presumably invalid now, so does anyone know under what conditions it may be extended? Or will I most likley need to pay for another one? (The embassy faq is vague on this)

Also, will I need to get another Police certificate as they are only valid for a year in normal circumstances, and mine was issued 31 Jan 2020 ? (Can't find an answer, but I'm assuming it's a yes)

Has *anyone* managed to get a K1 visa in the UK since March? I notice some of you had embassy appointments that we're rescheduled through the summer.

And finally, has anyone successfully travelled to the US on an ESTA under the 'parent of US citizen' exemption to PP9996 ?

Thanks,

Al.

Timeline

I have the BBC Radio on and my understanding is that Holiday travel is banned in the UK?

I have not seen any K1's through London for a long time.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Timeline

Well I am not sure that is allowed under the VWP?

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline
2 hours ago, al-9000 said:

That medical is presumably invalid now, so does anyone know under what conditions it may be extended? Or will I most likley need to pay for another one? (The embassy faq is vague on this)

It’s mostly the TB clearance that expiresat 6 months. You will have a new medical, but they have a cheaper rate because not everything has to be done over. 

2 hours ago, al-9000 said:

Has *anyone* managed to get a K1 visa in the UK since March? I notice some of you had embassy appointments that we're rescheduled through the summer.

Yes one I’ve seen in this forum who was part of a lawsuit. Can’t remember the name.

Timeline
52 minutes ago, Boiler said:

Well I am not sure that is allowed under the VWP?

It's been fine in the past. I've made 3 return trips whilst my K1 application was processed, without issue. But that was pre-covid.

All the info I can find suggests that you can travel on VWP if you are exempt from PP9996 - I was just hoping somebody might have direct experience of it ?

Whether it breaks the current UK lockdown rules is another question - made more difficult because Wales and England have different rules.

Edited by al-9000
add quote

Timeline

I have seen people travel before the current Lockdown.

Sounds like you are in Wales and would have to travel to England to fly out? Then yes you would have to comply with both.

This may help: https://www.bbc.com/news/explainers-52530518

Timeline
30 minutes ago, Wuozopo said:

It’s mostly the TB clearance that expiresat 6 months. You will have a new medical, but they have a cheaper rate because not everything has to be done over. 

Good to know - that's the x-ray right?

30 minutes ago, Wuozopo said:

Yes one I’ve seen in this forum who was part of a lawsuit. Can’t remember the name.

Ah OK. no normies then ;)

Timeline
7 minutes ago, Boiler said:

Sounds like you are in Wales and would have to travel to England to fly out? Then yes you would have to comply with both.

Yes indeed. It's not looking promising.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

My fiancé had his interview today and was approved. We are plaintiffs in the lawsuit though. You will need a new medical. Wait until you get an interview date. Your visa is only valid for as long as the validity of your medical. 

Not sure about your other questions. Hope you can see your family soon!

16 hours ago, writerv said:

My fiancé had his interview today and was approved. We are plaintiffs in the lawsuit though. You will need a new medical. Wait until you get an interview date. Your visa is only valid for as long as the validity of your medical. 

Out of curiosity, will your fiancée be allowed to travel to the US?

Timeline
23 hours ago, writerv said:

Thanks, and congrats to you!

Timeline
On 1/12/2021 at 5:44 AM, Appy said:

Out of curiosity, will your fiancée be allowed to travel to the US?

Hey, sorry for late response. We will have to go to 3rd country for 14 days unless our NIE is approved. They said they are considering it. So, it depends. 

Timeline
On 1/16/2021 at 12:45 AM, writerv said:

Hey, sorry for late response. We will have to go to 3rd country for 14 days unless our NIE is approved. They said they are considering it. So, it depends. 

We're attempting to expedite our K1 right now, and we would also have to quarantine in another country for 14 days. Forgive me for not understanding, but what does NIE mean? Have you heard back? Also, do you know what country you're planning on staying in?

We have a solid case for expedite, but obviously it's not a guarantee. It's so stressful trying to plan ahead for something that might not even happen! Plus who knows what the border closures will be like by the time we'll actually travel... ugh! 

Timeline
21 minutes ago, MarieJames said:

We have a solid case for expedite, but obviously it's not a guarantee. It's so stressful trying to plan ahead for something that might not even happen! Plus who knows what the border closures will be like by the time we'll actually travel... ugh! 

Do you mind if I ask what grounds you're pursuing for expediting, if you're willing to share ? I was under the impression it was only emergencies.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.