superman13

Recent Suicide Attempt

7 posts in this topic

Hi Everyone,

I searched in the forums but couldn't find anything directly related to this specific question. We are at the NVC phase of the K1 process, and are trying to request an expedited interview due to my own medical conditions. My fiancée went through a period of self-harm during high school where she needed brief therapy and used cutting as a coping mechanism. She had DACA and lived in the US for most of her life, but went back to Mexico to attend college. Over the course of the 3 years that she has been there by herself, she has experienced an unstable home environment living with extended family (domestic violence, addiction, etc.), some financial issues, and then was sexually assaulted by a co-worker. She finally was able to move to a different city, but when Covid hit, the depression and anxiety really took a toll on her. She started seeing a therapist last month who started her on medications. She was feeling better, and then after about three weeks, for the first time ever, she attempted suicide, by overdosing on pills, and cutting her arm. Her therapist had provided her with a letter saying she was doing well and stable prior to this recent attempt, but with her suicide attempt being so recent, will she be inadmissible, or is there something that we can do in order to get her interview and visa approved? She is currently seeing a therapist locally, and will be continuing care in the U.S. when she returns to help with the trauma she has suffered from being away. We are now very nervous about the visa interview and medical exam. 

Thank you! 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

The panel physician performing the medical exam will see the cut arm and ask about it.

The paramount thing is not to LIE about anything, because it WILL come back to bite you.

Whatever the physician recommends to the consulate must be honored and followed.

Any delay in case progress will be determined from the standpoint of "what is best" (for you, too).

Others here can comment more specifically about the impact of the demonstrated pattern of self-harm.

Personal sympathies for the rough time that you're both going through.

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

• 9 months later...
Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Germany
Timeline

Hello, Thank you for sharing.  I wonder if you could give an update on how things worked out for you. We are in a similar situation and hoping it will turn out ok.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline
On 1/7/2021 at 9:07 PM, superman13 said:

, but with her suicide attempt being so recent, will she be inadmissible, or is there something that we can do in order to get her interview and visa approved?

I have never read anything about past suicide attempts making beneficiary inadmissible. As to the second part of the question, just follow the normal process and as someone said above, provide requested information accurately and truthfully.  On a side note, I hope you realize the gravity of this kind of behavior. I see people who attempt suicide and who engage in self mutilation frequently. These behaviors can be expected to be a life long pattern, so I hope you realize the consequences of marrying someone with mental illness.

Edited by Michael S777

14 hours ago, Michael S777 said:

I have never read anything about past suicide attempts making beneficiary inadmissible.

From the Department of State manual on Ineligibility Based on Health and Medical Grounds -- https://fam.state.gov/fam/09FAM/09FAM030202.html#M302_2_7

"INA 212(a)(1)(A)(iii) provides than an individual is ineligible for a visa if the individual has a physical or mental disorder and behavior associated with that disorder that may pose, or has posed, a threat to the property, safety, or welfare of the individual or others."

As part of the exam, she'll have a psychological questionnaire to fill out and she needs to be completely forthright and honest.  It's up to the panel physician to determine whether she's inadmissible or not.  I have seen some inadmissible for various mental health disorders and alcohol.  It's very difficult for a Consular Officer to break that news to an applicant, he/she may choose to do so in a privacy booth.  In any case, it would not be a permanent ineligibility, but may require re-examination after a year, similar she showed signs of serious alcohol abuse. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.