SeanDowney0309

Entitlement to Economic Impact Payment

13 posts in this topic

Hi all, 

I arrived in Chicago,USA in March 2020 on a K1 Visa. We married on March 6th. I have a social security card, albeit on that says on it "VALID FOR WORK ONLY WITH DHS AUTHORIZATION". I also have received my Work/Advanced Parole card. I'm still waiting to hear when my Green Card interview will be.

My question is: Am I entitled to a Economic Impact Payment? I have read in several places that I am, however I find the IRS website confusing. Is there anyone who has been in a similar situation & can offer advice? I would be very grateful if anyone could offer any advice. @Wuozopo you are a fountain of knowledge, do you know? 

Thank you so much

Edited by SeanDowney0309

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline
8 minutes ago, SeanDowney0309 said:

Hi all, 

I arrived in Chicago,USA in March 2020 on a K1 Visa. We married on March 6th. I have a social security card, albeit on that says on it "VALID FOR WORK ONLY WITH DHS AUTHORIZATION". I also have received my Work/Advanced Parole card. I'm still waiting to hear when my Green Card interview will be.

My question is: Am I entitled to a Economic Impact Payment? I have read in several places that I am, however I find the IRS website confusing. Is there anyone who has been in a similar situation & can offer advice? I would be very grateful if anyone could offer any advice. @Wuozopo you are a fountain of knowledge, do you know? 

Thank you so much

i believe you are if you have information with the IRS on file. Since you have never filed for taxes, it would be unlikely to have some file with the IRS. They is ways around this, but had to be done before the payments came out IMO

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Brazil
Timeline
17 minutes ago, SeanDowney0309 said:

Hi all, 

Thank you so much

Yes. But not for the early payment. When you file 2020 taxes, you will get it as a tax credit.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

i think to technically get a file with the IRS, since you got EAD and SS#, pay something in taxes ahead as if you had worked a side job and that would put you in the system. Independent contractors pay taxes quaterly. I do stuff online as software testing and have to pay taxes on it. Of course it's not that much so i just pay the fine and resolve those issues at the end of the year. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline

***Moved to Taxes and Finance During US Immigration****

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Hi all,

Thank you for your help. 

Sorry I should have clarified earlier, I am hoping to receive this money when we jointly file a 2020 tax return

@Ayrton where did you read this? Does it matter my SS card says "VALID FOR WORK ONLY WITH DHS AUTHORIZATION"

@JeanneAdil No I did not work during 2020, only received my work card in November & no luck yet with job searching. I believe I can claim this money when me and my wife file a joint tax return. 

2 minutes ago, SeanDowney0309 said:

Does it matter my SS card says "VALID FOR WORK ONLY WITH DHS AUTHORIZATION"

It doesn't matter since you are a resident alien for tax purposes and have a SSN: https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-dft/i1040gi--dft.pdf "Generally, you are eligible to claim the recovery rebate credit if in 2020 you were a U.S. citizen or U.S. resident alien, weren't a dependent of another taxpayer, and have a valid social security number. This includes someone who died in 2020, if you are preparing a return for that person."

You are resident alien for tax purposes because of substantial presence test: https://www.irs.gov/individuals/international-taxpayers/substantial-presence-test

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline
1 hour ago, SeanDowney0309 said:

Hi all, 

Thank you so much

Yes, both of them when you file a joint tax return.  I have posted on this several times. Just read these and follow up if you have questions. They may not be exactly your situation but the concept of the 2020 tax return is what you need to know.

https://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/754535-stimulus-check-for-now-green-holder/?do=findComment&comment=10350372

https://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/754497-stimulus-checks-for-non-us-citizen-spouse/?do=findComment&comment=10353083

https://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/754119-how-to-“claim”-my-stimulus-check-this-tax-season/?do=findComment&comment=10345380

2 minutes ago, Wuozopo said:

Yes, both of them when you file a joint tax return.  I have posted on this several times. Just read these and follow up if you have questions. They may not be exactly your situation but the concept of the 2020 tax return is what you need to know.

https://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/754535-stimulus-check-for-now-green-holder/?do=findComment&comment=10350372

https://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/754497-stimulus-checks-for-non-us-citizen-spouse/?do=findComment&comment=10353083

https://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/754119-how-to-“claim”-my-stimulus-check-this-tax-season/?do=findComment&comment=10345380

Thank you so much sir, appreciate your help. 

Thank you also @HRQX for your response

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

Long gone are the days of "Ask not what your country can do you for... but what you can do for your country"!?  Welcome to America! 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.