Caboose29

Choosing a K-1 Fiance or CR-1 Spouse Visa in 2021

116 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

I'm about to start my K-1 journey, but after doing some reading here it seems like doing a CR-1 may be better, faster, easier.  It's my understanding under "'normal" circumstances a K-1 gets my significant other here quicker, but with Covid, and the hassles after she gets here (AoS, SS, etc.), would it be a better choice to just get married now, and file for a CR-1?  If it matters, she lives in Russia.

I know no one has a crystal ball, but just seeking advice from those that know much more about this process than me.  I have read a few posts from people who got K-1s, but afterwards, wished they had gotten a CR-1.  Opinions please.

Considering the delays, embassies not uniformly processing K-1s, the uncertainty of the future and when this pandemic is going to finally end, I’d go for the CR-1 at this point in time. At least many more embassies are processing CR-1 as opposed to K-1. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

I would also vote for the CR1 if for no other reason then to avoid the AOS (we did the K1 back in 2013/2014).  I would research figuring out how to get married somewhere, if you want to get married in Russia, I am not sure how difficult that is, but considering the bureaucracy there, I imagine there are a few hoops.  Maybe @millefleur might have some information.

Good Luck!

Visa Received : 2014-04-04 (K1 - see timeline for details)

US Entry : 2014-09-12

POE: Detroit

Marriage : 2014-09-27

I-765 Approved: 2015-01-09

I-485 Interview: 2015-03-11

I-485 Approved: 2015-03-13

Green Card Received: 2015-03-24 Yeah!!!

I-751 ROC Submitted: 2016-12-20

I-751 NOA Received:  2016-12-29

I-751 Biometrics Appt.:  2017-01-26

I-751 Interview:  2018-04-10

I-751 Approved:  2018-05-04

N400 Filed:  2018-01-13

N400 Biometrics:  2018-02-22

N400 Interview:  2018-04-10

N400 Approved:  2018-04-10

Oath Ceremony:  2018-06-11 - DONE!!!!!!!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline
37 minutes ago, Dashinka said:

I would also vote for the CR1 if for no other reason then to avoid the AOS (we did the K1 back in 2013/2014).  I would research figuring out how to get married somewhere, if you want to get married in Russia, I am not sure how difficult that is, but considering the bureaucracy there, I imagine there are a few hoops.  Maybe @millefleur might have some information.

Good Luck!

I'm half wishing we would have gotten married last month when she and I were in Istanbul for 2 weeks.  

25 minutes ago, DaveAndAnastasia said:

The biggest downside to doing a CR-1 with a Russian fiancé(e) even in normal times is that marrying a foreigner in Russia is a pain and your fiancée almost certainly can't get a tourist visa for the US, so you pretty much have to do a third-country wedding unless you're able to spend a month or more in Russia.

Now it's even more difficult because finding a place that satisfies all of 

• Americans can legally go there
  • Russians can legally go there
  • actually meeting there is practical given travel time and cost and quarantine rules
  • two foreigners can marry quickly there

... is going to be complicated.

Turkey checks all those boxes.

Arranging a legal "JP" equivalent ceremony only requires 2-3 days lead time in Turkey.  Russians can travel there with NO visa requirements.  I think if we'd had the forethought to bring our divorce decrees we could have just done it while we were there last month.

Edited by Caboose29

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

If ai could go back in time, I would've gone the CR-1 route. Not saying I regret the K-1 decision, but maybe would've been a different situation for my wife and I. 

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Iraq
Timeline
14 minutes ago, Caboose29 said:

I'm half wishing we would have gotten married last month when she and I were in Istanbul for 2 weeks.  

Arranging a legal "JP" equivalent ceremony only requires 2-3 days lead time in Turkey.  Russians can travel there with NO visa requirements.  I think if we'd had the forethought to bring our divorce decrees we could have just done it while we were there last month.

Im not sure where you get “2-3 days” from. We got married in Turkey and it took a lot longer than that before COVID. 

It involves getting documentation from both your embassy and your fiancé embassy. Plus the embassies have to be open for that kind of service, which a lot are not at the moment. You have to file with Turkey and get your documents approved before you can proceed. Also, a lot of Turkey is currently on covid lockdown. 
Probably requires a lot of research and planning to get it done. 
We had a lawyer to help and it still took some time. 

Timeline
59 minutes ago, Caboose29 said:

Are you sure about that? I've looked at the marriage requirements for turkey before for two foreigners and they aren't very simple... 

Me and @Strawberrymermaid have both tried looking into marriage already several times and we still could find nothing simple during this time, which is why we've stuck with k1

Edited by Chauncey

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Haiti
Timeline

Hello all to be honest it's up to you some people have good results long results and bad results. I had once thought about the k1 just to have my family here at that time is was not which one was moving faster to me it was about my finance and would I be able to keep paying after they got here my husband and 2 daughters. I know he wouldn't be able to travel work nothing and I didn't want him to get bored and I don't even know if the kids would have been allowed to go to school with no ss# but then I thought again about the extra money and extra filing and this and that. I decided to go with CR1 yes it takes longer but they won't have to go through half the stuff k1 goes through. I am waiting for Haiti embassy they have been doing k1 interviews left in right while CR1/IR1 are waiting since 2019 but because of the covid one put a halt there and also with K1 they don't get so much into it because after 90 days you will have to file more paperwork and pay more money when then they will go through as much time as us only good thing you family is with you. I agree so much with lucky cat and you can read all we write but it's up to you because only you know what you can handle. Do I regret not sticking to the k1 oh no but I miss my family crazy.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.