NinaLu

Registering foreign marriage with the Romanian consulate? (apostille and translation required)

7 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Romania
Timeline

Although I am not expecting much, I thought I'd try posting here anyway. 

Has anyone had a successful experience registering their marriage while not in their home country? The official instructions are a little headache-inducing, with contradicting statements in a couple places. From what I am gathering, the two documents that would need apostilled are my husband's birth certificate and our marriage certificate (long form). That part was easy. The not so easy part is wrapping my head around the requirements for legal translation. From their website, I have gathered that they CAN do translations, but in another section they say they no longer do them unless it is for emergency travel.

So the requirements for having the translation done elsewhere are even more confusing: once the documents have the apostille, you are supposed to get a legal translation of both the documents and the apostille, then notarize it and then apostille the notary signature??? That makes very little sense to me, but it was all information found on the website, although the language used is very oddly worded and difficult to understand.

So has anyone successfully dealt with registering their marriage with a country that is a member of the Hague Convention? It is my understanding they all have similar requirements.

I have tried to contact the Romanian consulate with no luck and so far I have simply concluded that I may have to wait until I naturalize and go back to Romania to clear it all up in person.

Timeline
46 minutes ago, Mike E said:

Why are you registering your marriage?

Perhaps I am using the wrong term. Long story short, we married in the states and as a result I changed my last name and my green card is in my new name. In order to get a new passport in my new name I need them to have my marriage records and register (transcribe perhaps?) my marriage in the country's database. 

Edited by NinaLu

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Myanmar
Timeline
10 hours ago, NinaLu said:

Perhaps I am using the wrong term. Long story short, we married in the states and as a result I changed my last name and my green card is in my new name. In order to get a new passport in my new name I need them to have my marriage records and register (transcribe perhaps?) my marriage in the country's database. 

Some people decide to never bother, and instead keep their passport in their original names.   When flying internationally such people will book tickets with the name of their passport and then when returning to the USA with their green card, show the airline check in personnel their marriage certificate.  

Thus no need to wait until you naturalize to fly to Romania to get a Romanian passport.  

Of course it makes accruing frequent flyer points a hassle.  

Fortunately Romania allows multiple citizenship. So once you add a US passport the hassle goes away, at least until the EU implements electronic travel authorizations.  

Edited by Mike E

Timeline
3 hours ago, Mike E said:

Some people decide to never bother, and instead keep their passport in their original names.   When flying internationally such people will book tickets with the name of their passport and then when returning to the USA with their green card, show the airline check in personnel their marriage certificate.  

Thus no need to wait until you naturalize to fly to Romania to get a Romanian passport.  

Of course it makes accruing frequent flyer points a hassle.  

Fortunately Romania allows multiple citizenship. So once you add a US passport the hassle goes away, at least until the EU implements electronic travel authorizations.  

That is helpful. I did look around for whether I can use my old passport still, it is quite nice to know it won't be a hassle. I've found a thread mentioning it but it was something like a 2009 or so thread so I did not know if that still applies. I will most likely stick with that for now.

Thank you for giving me a better temporary solution than trying to jump through loops I do not understand. 

• 4 months later...
Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Romania
Timeline
On 1/2/2021 at 9:05 PM, Mike E said:

Why are you registering your marriage?

WHY TO REGISTER A FOREIGN MARRIAGE CERTIFICATE IN THE ROMANIAN REGISTRY? - Romanian citizenship by descent and Romanian EU passport by ancestry

It makes a difference if you want to keep renewing your Romanian passport and  EU ID.  

Edited by agrabs

K1 Visa                                                                 Adjustment of Status                                                             ROC

Service Center : California Service Center                        CIS Office : Kansas City MO Service Center                           California Service Center

Consulate : Bucharest, Romania

I-129F Sent : 2011-11-18                                 Date Filed : 2012-09-04 Date                            Filed: 2015-05-26

I-129F NOA1 : 2011-11-23                                      NOA Date : 2012-09-06                                                             NOA1 Date: 2015-05-28

I-129F RFE(s) : none                                              RFE(s) : NONE                                              RFE(s): NONE

I-129F NOA2 : 2012-04-12                                                 Bio. Appt. : 2012-10-03                                                              BIO. Appt.: 2015-09-15

NVC Received : 2012-04-26

NVC Left : 2012-05-10                                           EAD/AP Approved : 2012-11-08                             ROC APPROVED:2015-10-26      

Consulate Received : 2012-05-14                               EAD/AP Card Received : 2012-11-17                         Green card Received: 2015-11-04    

Packet 3 Received : 2012-05-17                                          Green card Approved : 2013-07-08                        NO INTERVIEW

Packet 3 Sent : 2012-05-20                                                    NO INTERVIEW

Interview Date : 2012-06-26                                                 Green Card Received : 2013-07-15

Interview Result : Approved                                                 

Visa Received : 2012-06-26                                                   

US Entry : 2012-07-05

Marriage : 2012-08-24

N-400 Naturalization:

04/25/2016 N-400 sent to USCIS AZ courier address thru FedEx

05/04/2106 NOA I-797 Receipt Notice Date
05/27/2016 Fingerprints Bio-metrics appointment date
06/08/2016 E-notification of interview scheduling
06/13/2016 Received official letter regarding interview
07/18/2016 Date of Interview
08/11/2016 Date Oath Ceremony
Field Office: Kansas City, MO

event.png

Timeline
2 hours ago, agrabs said:

WHY TO REGISTER A FOREIGN MARRIAGE CERTIFICATE IN THE ROMANIAN REGISTRY? - Romanian citizenship by descent and Romanian EU passport by ancestry

It makes a difference if you want to keep renewing your Romanian passport and  EU ID.  

This thread is quite old but I am glad to receive an informative reply. I see that you too are from Romania and have gone through the K1 process. Have you managed to register your marriage? Honestly I have struggled to properly understand the needed procedure and it has been about two years since my marriage. I had resolved that I would fix everything next time I visit Romania (most likely will be a US citizen by then) because I simply could not wrap my head around who is legally allowed to do the translation and what exactly needs translated. With Covid, there seems to be some leniency on late registrations but at this point I wish to just solve this. I would appreciate your help a lot, my efforts to contact the GA Honorary Romanian consulate have been in vain, I never received an answer to any of my emails.

EDIT: After reading the linked article a second time I have a better idea of what is needed. Would still love to hear clarifications on what an "Affidavit related with the assets matrimonial regime" is, as my google searches do not seem to turn up what I am looking for

Edited by NinaLu

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.