cyyz2000

Renewing Passports

4 posts in this topic

Filed: F-3 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I'm a Canadian citizen awaiting my interview letter from the Montreal embassy. We are in the F3 category and DQ. My passport expires in end of February 2021. Just curious what the best course of action would be? I spoke with the passport office and they told me once I get my interview letter and date, I could expedite my renewal for my passport. Is this fine? Should I bring the new and old passport to the interview, and will I need to inform NVC before I renew it? 

FYI - case is not current yet. 2021's visa bulletin says July 8th 2008 for January, and our PD is end of July, 2008. 

Thank you in advance

How long does it normally take to get a passport? You will not have an interview before February. Everyone whose PD got current since April when the category got banned is ahead of you in line waiting. What is stopping you just renewing it now, this is leaving it quite late anyway? (Most  people do it within 6 months of expiry given so many countries require 3-6 months left on a passport before allowing someone entry.)

Edited by SusieQQQ

Filed: F-3 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
4 minutes ago, SusieQQQ said:

How long does it normally take to get a passport? You will not have an interview before February. Everyone whose PD got current since April when the category got banned is ahead of you in line waiting. What is stopping you just renewing it now, this is leaving it quite late anyway? (Most  people do it within 6 months of expiry given so many countries require 3-6 months left on a passport before allowing someone entry.)

If it's expedited, it can be done within two business days I believe. I don't mind paying the price. Unfortunately my province is still under lockdown and the offices are closed. When I called to ask them to renew it, they said I can't renew it unless I have a reason to travel, which in this case, would be for the purposes of US immigration. See below what the website says:

Proof you need the passport can be

• an airline, bus or train ticket
    • If travelling by car, a written statement explaining why you need to travel
  • an itinerary that shows your travel dates
  • proof of illness or death in the family requiring you to travel
  • a written statement from you or a third party explaining why you need the passport
    • For example, for legal, banking or residency requirements

They mentioned that I would need to have an official interview date before renewing it. So I'm a little lost on how to go about doing this. 

Once I get the passport, should I bring both or only the new one? 

Ok, I get it. It could well be a good number of months before you get an interview - Montreal was very backed up anyway even before all this, and presumably it’s going be even worse when it reopens due to the backlog that’s built up now. It’s quite possible the local lockdown will be over by then anyway. 

Yes, you should bring both old and new passports to the interview. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.