Aagha

Victims of US citizens

55 posts in this topic

Hi everyone. I always see examples of US citizens being defrauded by foreign nationals. I was wondering if there are stories that include the opposite? Example would be a US citizen who has exploitative intentions towards a foreign spouse who is in love with them and didn't see the "red flags" in the relationship itself, and that developed further throughout the marriage. "If you don't prove your love by doing this-because that makes me happy, I will think you're just using me for a green card."

Thanks.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

Pretty hard to prove fraud just because a relationship breaks up

i know of people from Morocco that have married and while waiting for interview and/ or visa ,  the USC has said "calling it quits" 

Member form VJ  that had original interview with us in 2011 was denied and did not follow thru as she said "could not afford attorney and longer processing" 

another man married USC and she just disappeared and blocked her facebook (he is having troubles finding her to serve papers)

another man married and his wife found a new partner and is divorcing him

another Algerian man came to his wife ,  had a child and then she told him to leave and she and her GF only wanted a baby

and some hide illnesses from the immigrant like a bipolar USC who is difficult to live with

but fraud????  or just a bad relationship to begin with????

it takes time, energy,  honesty and faith  to build not only a friendship but a real marriage 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Occasionally we have both who are members on here and post their take, and all the ones I have seen it has taken some time to realise they were talking about the same relationship.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Timeline
1 minute ago, Aagha said:

I don't understand this feedback, I have never posted here before about this. 

What has your comment got to do with my post?

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Timeline
2 minutes ago, Aagha said:

Your post was posted on my forum thread, so I'm asking, what do you mean in relation to the subject. Thank you.

Exactly what I said, no big words pretty simple comment.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Haiti
Timeline

Of course there are cases where the US citizen exploits the foreigner- whether this is refusing to file for adjustment of status, not allowing them to work or withholding their greencard. Exploitation goes both ways.

Our K1 Journey    I-129f

Service Center : Texas Service Center   Transferred? California Service Center on 8/11/14

Consulate : Port au Prince, Haiti             I-129F Sent : 4/14/2014

I-129F NOA1 : 4/24/14                            I-129F NOA2 : 9/10/14

NVC Received : 9/24/14                          NVC Left : 9/26/14

Consulate Received : 10/6/14 CEAC status changed to ready

Packet 3 Received : 10/27/14 packet received by petitioner in USA ( beneficiary never received packet 3)

Medical: 10/30/14 Dr. Buteau                  Medical picked up: 11/3/14

Packet 3 Sent : 11/10/13.. Had to schedule interview appointment and attach confirmation receipt to packet

Interview Date : 12/1/14                           Interview Result : Approved !

Visa Received : 12/10/14 picked up at Jacmel location

US Entry : 12/15/14 Fort Lauderdale, Florida

Apply for Social Security Card: 12/30/14 Connecticut

Marriage: 1/26/15

Adjustment of Status

CIS Office : Hartford                                  Filed : 3/18/15

NOA : 3/25/15                                            Biometrics : 4/15/15

Approved: 8/31/15                                     Received: 9/8/15

EAD

CIS Office : Hartford                                  Filed : 3/18/15

NOA : 3/25/15                                            Approved: 6/12/15

Received: 6/20/15

Removal of Conditions I-751

Filed: 8/14/17 at VSC                                 NOA: 8/15/17 Received 8/21 by mail

Biometrics: Dated: 8/25/17   Received 9/2/17   Appointment 9/11/17 

Approved: 10/23/18 -no interview

Oh yes, I've even seen such cases on visa journey. There was one case where the husband was a convicted pedophile (back in the day apparently there were not checks on the USC criminal record) and married a single mom from China so that he can have access to her little daughter. He tried to hide his wife from everyone, so that no one is suspicious when she disappears. The wife managed to escape with her daughter eventually when she figured out what was up. Maybe someone has a link, it's a pretty scary story. 

*** Topic moved to  "General Immigration-Related Discussion"

VJ Moderation

“When starting an immigration journey, the best advice is to understand that sacrifices have to be made... whether it is time, money, or separation; or a combination of all.” - Unlockable

18 hours ago, Luckycuds said:

Of course there are cases where the US citizen exploits the foreigner- whether this is refusing to file for adjustment of status, not allowing them to work or withholding their greencard. Exploitation goes both ways.

I just find it unbelievable that the laws and stereotypes always favor the USC spouse. Laws always mention foreigner using the USC!!!  If the foreigner marries in good intent and faith and promises to dedicate themselves to improve the US citizen's life - including listening to everything they say and want, and then the US citizen shows they have no intent of respecting or committing to the foreign spouse and making it look like a joke of a marriage, that is putting the foreigner at all sorts of risks where they also have little options, especially if they depend on USC. Not to mention how vulnerable foreigners are and often get in hands of someone who thinks they're entitled to do whatever and nothing can happen to them (I'm an American and I can do whatever I want and you are here to "obey") while generally being manipulative and exploitative, emotionally and verbally abusive.

Edited by Aagha

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline
20 minutes ago, Aagha said:

I just find it unbelievable that the laws and stereotypes always favor the USC spouse. Laws always mention foreigner using the USC!!!  If the foreigner marries in good intent and faith and promises to dedicate themselves to improve the US citizen's life - including listening to everything they say and want, and then the US citizen shows they have no intent of respecting or committing to the foreign spouse and making it look like a joke of a marriage, that is putting the foreigner at all sorts of risks where they also have little options, especially if they depend on USC. Not to mention how vulnerable foreigners are and often get in hands of someone who thinks they're entitled to do whatever and nothing can happen to them, while generally being manipulative and exploitative.

Your premise that USCs are always protected at the expense of new immigrants is incorrect.  There have been cases here where we have seen a Consulate Officer makes sure a foreign fiance or spouse has been made fully aware of the US citizen's past.  In addition, VAWA laws protect immigrants.  We have seen cases of abuse and/or fraud from both USCs as well as new immigrants.  

https://fas.org/sgp/crs/misc/R42477.pdf

"These provisions, initially enacted by Congress with the Immigration Act of 1990 and the Violence Against Women Act (VAWA) of 1994, afford benefits to abused foreign nationals and allow them to self-petition for lawful permanent resident (LPR) status independently of the U.S. citizen or LPR relatives who originally"

Edited by Lucky Cat

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

8 minutes ago, Aagha said:

I just find it unbelievable that the laws and stereotypes always favor the USC spouse. Laws always mention foreigner using the USC!!!  If the foreigner marries in good intent and faith and promises to dedicate themselves to improve the US citizen's life - including listening to everything they say and want, and then the US citizen shows they have no intent of respecting or committing to the foreign spouse and making it look like a joke of a marriage, that is putting the foreigner at all sorts of risks where they also have little options, especially if they depend on USC. Not to mention how vulnerable foreigners are and often get in hands of someone who thinks they're entitled to do whatever and nothing can happen to them (I'm an American and I can do whatever I want and you are here to "obey") while generally being manipulative and exploitative, emotionally and verbally abusive.

What laws? VAWA exists to protect immigrants from abusive US citizen spouses.

There are definitely stories of abusive immigrants too. I've seen posts by US citizens asking how to get their abusive immigrant spouses deported. Some of them report being blackmailed, having their reputations ruined, financial and other kinds of abuse etc. Abuse happens everywhere in all kinds of ways.

10 minutes ago, mushroomspore said:

What laws? VAWA exists to protect immigrants from abusive US citizen spouses.

There are definitely stories of abusive immigrants too. I've seen posts by US citizens asking how to get their abusive immigrant spouses deported. Some of them report being blackmailed, having their reputations ruined, financial and other kinds of abuse etc. Abuse happens everywhere in all kinds of ways.

There definitely are. But this topic is not about that. This is about US citizens who marry to exploit foreigners in all ways possible, while being controlling and not compromising about anything. Treating foreigners like imported personal servants. WAVA is great but not that useful when the foreigner is unemployed and not having a lot helpful contacts- thanks to USC who tries to keep them "home" and not letting them go out and controlling who will they talk to or socialize with. Especially when one is depending on housing that belongs to USC. 

Edited by Aagha

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.