fieldtripper

Green Card just expired

24 posts in this topic

Hello all. I applied for citizenship Feb 18 2020 and did my biometrics March 13 2020. I asked someone before if I needed to also renew my Green Card if I applied for citizenship, and was told I was ok since the process should be completed before my GC expired. But the Covid came and delayed the process, so now I’m still waiting for the Interview Civic test. My GC just expired and I’m not sure what to do next. USCIS website says this month of October is or was suppose to be the month when the process is completed but I have that “taking longer than expected and I don’t have to do anything at this time” message.

But should I renew my GC on the mean time? Another reason why I didn’t renew my GC back then other than because I applied for citizenship is because of lack of funds. Is the GC renewal a faster process? Also will I have issues if I do get that interview soon with a weeks old expired GC? Here’s some other info, my spouse is Navy for like 7 years now, been married for 13 years but now in the process of divorce, I’ve been a permanent resident since 2008, GC is IR6, got 2 toddlers now and I have cancer. Thank you for any answers, appreciate it.

1 hour ago, fieldtripper said:

Hello all. I applied for citizenship Feb 18 2020 and did my biometrics March 13 2020. I asked someone before if I needed to also renew my Green Card if I applied for citizenship, and was told I was ok since the process should be completed before my GC expired. But the Covid came and delayed the process, so now I’m still waiting for the Interview Civic test. My GC just expired and I’m not sure what to do next. USCIS website says this month of October is or was suppose to be the month when the process is completed but I have that “taking longer than expected and I don’t have to do anything at this time” message.

But should I renew my GC on the mean time? Another reason why I didn’t renew my GC back then other than because I applied for citizenship is because of lack of funds. Is the GC renewal a faster process? Also will I have issues if I do get that interview soon with a weeks old expired GC? Here’s some other info, my spouse is Navy for like 7 years now, been married for 13 years but now in the process of divorce, I’ve been a permanent resident since 2008, GC is IR6, got 2 toddlers now and I have cancer. Thank you for any answers, appreciate it.

Yeah file the I-90. They're gonna ask for the GC and when they see it's expired, they'll ask for an I-90 receipt notice. I don't think they approve anyone for citizenship if the applicant shows up with an expired GC only.

Timeline
1 hour ago, mushroomspore said:

Yeah file the I-90. They're gonna ask for the GC and when they see it's expired, they'll ask for an I-90 receipt notice. I don't think they approve anyone for citizenship if the applicant shows up with an expired GC only.

No one asked me for my GC throughout the N400 process.

I was asked to turn it in during the oath ceremony, and they didn't even look at it, except for my picture!!

Because your card is expired, doesn't mean you are not a LPR. 

27 minutes ago, NEW CITIZEN said:

I was asked to turn it in during the oath ceremony, and they didn't even look at it, except for my picture!!

Oh really? I know you have to turn it in at Oath but I thought I read somewhere that they check it. I just don't trust USCIS haha.

31 minutes ago, NEW CITIZEN said:

Correct. But filing I-90 is good faith effort to try to follow federal law. INA 264(e): "Personal possession of registration or receipt card; penalties. Every alien, eighteen years of age and over, shall at all times carry with him and have in his personal possession any certificate of alien registration or alien registration receipt card issued to him pursuant to subsection (d). Any alien who fails to comply with the provisions of this subsection shall be guilty of a misdemeanor and shall upon conviction for each offense be fined not to exceed $100 or be imprisoned not more than thirty days, or both."

Timeline
32 minutes ago, HRQX said:

Correct. But filing I-90 is good faith effort to try to follow federal law. INA 264(e): "Personal possession of registration or receipt card; penalties. Every alien, eighteen years of age and over, shall at all times carry with him and have in his personal possession any certificate of alien registration or alien registration receipt card issued to him pursuant to subsection (d). Any alien who fails to comply with the provisions of this subsection shall be guilty of a misdemeanor and shall upon conviction for each offense be fined not to exceed $100 or be imprisoned not more than thirty days, or both."

I think you misunderstand "alien registration receipt card" 

Its the Green card, not a receipt as in store receipt, receipt as in you received it.

Secondly, the key word is possession, expired or not.

You DO NOT lose your LPR status if the card expires.

Immigration law does not explicitly require a valid green card to apply for naturalization.

It is not mandatory for applying for citizenship, unless its a conditional card.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline
2 hours ago, NEW CITIZEN said:

You have to submit a copy of front and back of your green card when you apply.

Filed: Timeline
55 minutes ago, NEW CITIZEN said:

Its the Green card, not a receipt as in store receipt, receipt as in you received it.

You DO NOT lose your LPR status if the card expires.

Immigration law does not explicitly require a valid green card to apply for naturalization.

It is not mandatory for applying for citizenship, unless its a conditional card.

The INA posted above is a snippet. If you read the entire INA ACT 264 you will see one is required to have whatever alien registration card or certificate the regulations say. Thats a valid unexpired card. 264 e says you have to carry such.

What should I do if I have already applied for naturalization and my Permanent Resident Card, also known as “Green Card,” is expiring?

A lawful permanent resident is required to have valid, unexpired proof of lawful permanent residence in his or her possession at all times.  Applying for naturalization does not change this requirement.  For this reason, you must generally apply to renew your expiring Green Card even if you have applied for naturalization. For more information on renewing your Green Card, visit uscis.gov/green-card/after-we-grant-your-green-card/replace-your-green-card or uscis.gov/i-90.

https://www.uscis.gov/citizenship/learn-about-citizenship/commonly-asked-questions-about-the-naturalization-process

1 hour ago, NEW CITIZEN said:

Its the Green card,

Yes, I know that. GC, EAD, etc. are alien registration receipt card.

1 hour ago, NEW CITIZEN said:

See @Villanelle's post above.

Although OP wouldn't have unexpired GC, the I-90 receipt notice would show she submitted the application in an attempt get a new GC and eventually comply with the law.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

The USCIS website staes that if you file for citizenship at least 6 months before expiry of your green card, you may be able to get an ADIT stamp without filing an I90:

If you need evidence of your lawful permanent resident status while waiting to receive a replacement Green Card, we may issue you an Alien Documentation, Identification & Telecommunications (ADIT) stamp after you file this form. Additionally, if you applied for naturalization at least six months before your Green Card expired, you may be able to receive an ADIT stamp instead of filing a Form I-90. If you need assistance, contact the USCIS Contact Center.

15 hours ago, NEW CITIZEN said:

Really? I had to show mine at my N400 interview. 

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Italy
Timeline

My husbands GC was about to expire right when he was applying for citizenship.  (he didnt look for the expiration date prior...yikes).  they told us if it was within 6 months of filing you can get a stamp for extension for GC...but since it was less than 2 months...they made us apply for GC extension and pay and then of course pay for the application for citizenship.  he did the oath ceremony same day...and they took the GC...but never looked at it.

Joyce

2/10/04 - interview date!!!!!!!Got Visa!!!!

3/11/04 - Massimo arrived in USA...Hurray!!!

4/25/04 - Happily Married in New Jersey

5/12/04 - starting AOS papers

5/17/04 - Mailed I-485, 131, (certified mail) to Newark

7/12/04 - Biometrics for AOS done in NYC

2/1/05 - received interview letter for May 16, 2005

5/16/05 - Successful (and fast) AOS interview in Cherry Hill!!!

I751

3/1/07 - mailed I751 package to VSC - regular mail

3/7/07 - cashed 205.00 check

3/9/07 - cashed 70.00 biometrics check

3/16/07 - received blue receipt notice for biometrics fee

3/24/07 - received NOA extending GC for another year

3/24/07 - received Biometrics appointment letter

4/6/07 - Biometrics appointment in Newark at 9am

4/7/07 - touched

4/11/07 - touched

9/28/07 - email received...Card production ordered!

10/4/07 - received congratulations letter in the mail

10/09/07 - 10 year green card received

20 hours ago, NEW CITIZEN said:

They looked at my GC before interview started and confirm if everything was correct with form N-445.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.