pnw12

Marriage certificate

10 posts in this topic

Hi everyone!

I have a question about my marriage certificate. I have now been waiting a while for the state to send a certified copy, and they are blaming this delay on covid. I also really want to submit the application for my spouse asap. Would it be okay to send the certificate that was filled out during the ceremony, and not the one that will be returned with a stamp? They are apparently otherwise identical, and it has all signatures on it. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

People have done that in the past and gotten an RFE for the missing court stamp

but how long till you get the real one as the RFE must be answered in a certain timeframe ( i read they extended the response to 60 days because of the covid from March till May and i hope they extended this timeframe as otherwise you only have 30 days to respond to a request for the proper paper)

but will get a certified copy within  the time allowed?

if not, they keep your money and you have to pay to apply again

i know its hard to wait but right now ,  we all hurry up and wait (for everything)

congratulations on the marriage

On March 27, 2020, USCIS announced that it will allow an extra sixty (60) days for timely responses to all Requests for Evidence (“RFE”) or Notices of Intent to Deny (“NOID”) dated between March 1, 2020 and May 1, 2020.Mar 27, 2020

Edited by JeanneAdil

19 minutes ago, dansea said:

Hi everyone!

I have a question about my marriage certificate. I have now been waiting a while for the state to send a certified copy, and they are blaming this delay on covid. I also really want to submit the application for my spouse asap. Would it be okay to send the certificate that was filled out during the ceremony, and not the one that will be returned with a stamp? They are apparently otherwise identical, and it has all signatures on it. 

i got married in massachussetts june 2020, once the ceremony is done,  i sent the paperwork with priority 2 days mail USPS with money order + return envelope and got the certificate in 4 days. 

u need to use the one that has certification on it. try to call the town hall or perhaps go there and ask? 

Edited by Misscloud

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Kenya
Timeline

I got married at the county courthouse on a Friday. Went back on Monday to submit the paper work and waited for them to return it to me (15 minutes) because i wasn't going to trust the postal system for something so crucial.

AOS

08/24/2020 - Sent Concurrent Filing for I-130 & I-485 (inc. I-765 & I-131) to Chicago Lockbox via FedEx

08/26/2020 - Application Received by USCIS

09/25/2020 - Debit Card charged by USCIS

09/28/2020 - Received I-797C Rejection Notice in the Mail (reason: outdated I-765 form)

09/29/2020 - Received Text Message Receipts (I-485, I-130, I-131)

10/05/2020 - Received Hard Copy Mail Receipts (NOA?) (I-485, I-130, I-131)

10/12/2020 - Sent new I-765 form

10/14/2020 - New version of I-765 received in Chicago

03/10/2021 - Notice of Deficiency (Missing I-693 Medical Form)

06/25/2021 - Receive Biometrics Appointment Letter

07/23/2021 - Biometrics Appointment at Norfolk VA USCIS Office

07/23/2021 - 485 & 765 statuses changed to "Initial Review"

07/29/2021 - Interview Ready to Be Scheduled

08/13/2021 - Interview Scheduled for September 21st

09/21/2021 - Interview at USCIS Norfolk VA

09/21/2021 - Email saying “card produced and mailed”

09/24/2021 - Approval email sent for I-485

09/28/2021 - Green Card mailed by USCIS (email notification)

09/29/2021 - Green Card delivered to mailbox (also email notification)

10/01/2021 - I-765 rejected because “benefits were obtained via other means”

13 Months Total, No Lawyer or assistance besides USCIS website and VisaJourney, you can do it too!!!!

9 minutes ago, FattieBanton said:

I got married at the county courthouse on a Friday. Went back on Monday to submit the paper work and waited for them to return it to me (15 minutes) because i wasn't going to trust the postal system for something so crucial.

Maybe I should've thought of that. I was got married at the courthouse too, and they kept the document, as they said they would walk it over the road the following day.

32 minutes ago, Misscloud said:

i got married in massachussetts june 2020, once the ceremony is done,  i sent the paperwork with priority 2 days mail USPS with money order + return envelope and got the certificate in 4 days. 

u need to use the one that has certification on it. try to call the town hall or perhaps go there and ask? 

Thank you! I think I need to call them and try to track it down.

36 minutes ago, JeanneAdil said:

People have done that in the past and gotten an RFE for the missing court stamp

but how long till you get the real one as the RFE must be answered in a certain timeframe ( i read they extended the response to 60 days because of the covid from March till May and i hope they extended this timeframe as otherwise you only have 30 days to respond to a request for the proper paper)

but will get a certified copy within  the time allowed?

if not, they keep your money and you have to pay to apply again

i know its hard to wait but right now ,  we all hurry up and wait (for everything)

congratulations on the marriage

On March 27, 2020, USCIS announced that it will allow an extra sixty (60) days for timely responses to all Requests for Evidence (“RFE”) or Notices of Intent to Deny (“NOID”) dated between March 1, 2020 and May 1, 2020.Mar 27, 2020

Hmm - I better not risk it and wait it out then. The processes are so long because of covid. Everytime I think everything is on track, it seems to take longer and longer. 

6 minutes ago, cookies11 said:

What about this?

There is no way USCIS will accept an affidavit in lieu of a valid marriage certificate for a recent wedding in the US.  That list of alternative documents is for cases where the marriage ceremony was conducted in a country or during a time period that is known to not have sufficient record keeping.  For example, weddings in India before 2006 were not required to be registered.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.