laylalex

USCIS Fee Hikes Are Enjoined (Halted)

59 posts in this topic

WOW! I saw this come up on Twitter, and I am trying to find an article to link to, but in the meantime the fee hikes starting next month are enjoined on the ground that Chad Wolf was likely improperly appointed as head of the DHS. Here is the order:

https://www.courtlistener.com/recap/gov.uscourts.cand.364673/gov.uscourts.cand.364673.98.0.pdf

23 minutes ago, laylalex said:

the fee hikes

*the fee changes

Just a note that a few fees were scheduled to go down, like the I-90 filing fee, USCIS Immigrant Fee, and I-129F petition filing fee. https://www.federalregister.gov/documents/2020/08/03/2020-16389/us-citizenship-and-immigration-services-fee-schedule-and-changes-to-certain-other-immigration

Edited by HRQX

Sorry, all the tweets I saw said hikes, and all I knew was that my AOS filing fees next month were supposed to increase -- I wasn't aware of others going down. Are those enjoined too, or just the increases? I have only skimmed the order. Were they large decreases?

LOL, I say "next month" when I have no idea when I will get my marriage certificate from LA County back. 🙄

Edited by laylalex

20 minutes ago, laylalex said:

Are those enjoined too, or just the increases?

From Page 34 of the Order: "Pursuant to 5 U.S.C. section 705 the Court STAYS implementation and the effective date of of USCIS Immigration Fee Schedule and Changes to Certain Other Immigration Benefit Request Requirements, 85 Fed. Reg. 46,788 (Aug. 3, 2020) (the “Final Rule”) in its entirety pending final adjudication of this matter."

20 minutes ago, laylalex said:

I have only skimmed the order. Were they large decreases?

The biggest scheduled decrease was for I-612. N-600K, N-600, I-694, I-140, and I-191 also had large decrease scheduled.

Also the I-90. A decrease of $135 for online filing (or $125 for paper filing) because the main fee decrease was $40-$50 and separate biometrics fee was to be eliminated for most forms: https://www.federalregister.gov/documents/2020/08/03/2020-16389/us-citizenship-and-immigration-services-fee-schedule-and-changes-to-certain-other-immigration "DHS is incorporating the biometric services cost into the underlying immigration benefit request fee instead of charging a flat $85 biometric services fee."

Edited by HRQX

Just now, Sal9 said:

Does this also effect fee hike for N-400 us citizenship application?

Yes -- all the adjustments (up or down) that were supposed to go into effect are now on hold.

10 minutes ago, laylalex said:

Yes -- all the adjustments (up or down) that were supposed to go into effect are now on hold.

Well get ready for even more furloughs now.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline
11 hours ago, HRQX said:

From Page 34 of the Order: "Pursuant to 5 U.S.C. section 705 the Court STAYS implementation and the effective date of of USCIS Immigration Fee Schedule and Changes to Certain Other Immigration Benefit Request Requirements, 85 Fed. Reg. 46,788 (Aug. 3, 2020) (the “Final Rule”) in its entirety pending final adjudication of this matter."

The biggest scheduled decrease was for I-612. N-600K, N-600, I-694, I-140, and I-191 also had large decrease scheduled.

11 hours ago, laylalex said:

October 2nd fee hike is now on hold? I would tread carefully with this after seeing USCIS do a retroactive mandate for the I-944 requirement. 

52 minutes ago, Keeb said:

So now there's an injuction  on the fee increase so what form edition of the ead work authorization  form do I send in now?

The same . This has nothing to do with the form

Immigration journey is not: fast, for the faint at heart, easy, cheap, for the impatient nor right away. If more than 50% of this applies to you, best get off the bus.

Timeline
11 hours ago, laylalex said:

LOL, I say "next month" when I have no idea when I will get my marriage certificate from LA County back. 🙄

Call the County and get a certified copy. Here in Texas, I helped a friend get one last Friday for $7. He sent his to be registered on the 5th of Sept and has still not received it. So we made a few calls, pleaded last Thursday and got some nice fellow who squeezed as in for Friday for a certified version, without scheduling appointment. Appointments right now are not available for the next 3 weeks

Immigration journey is not: fast, for the faint at heart, easy, cheap, for the impatient nor right away. If more than 50% of this applies to you, best get off the bus.

Timeline
2 minutes ago, Keeb said:

So i still use the new ead form 10/2/2020 just pay the old fees ?

If that is the version currently available on USCIS website, then YES. 

Why are you paying for EAD? Are you adjusting status or what process are you on?

5 minutes ago, Timona said:

If that is the version currently available on USCIS website, then YES. 

Why are you paying for EAD? Are you adjusting status or what process are you on?

Nevermind i didn't realize the ead had no fee what i meant is on uscis website they have 2 forms 10/2 and another but I thought the new form was tied to the new fees im doing aos

Edited by Keeb

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.