2,966 posts in this topic

38 minutes ago, luminarc said:

Hey lovely people, I hope you are all doing well, so I applied for Financial aid with my prima facie and it was awarded I can finally go back to school, just a little good news I wanted to share. Thanks to everybody here for their advice. I still have a long way to go, but I thank God for the little blessings along the way. I hope that those of you who are waiting for some sort of news hear something great and for those of us who are still new to the journey I pray God gives us the strength and patience (especially me 😅); and for those who are planning to begin the process, I pray that God blesses you with the courage to begin. Happy labor day lovelies.

I rejoice with you dear..the example of a grateful heart..often we focus on big goals..not appreciating the little blessings God bestows on us daily. These are meant to keep us going, to comfort us while we patiently wait for the big ones...each day I wake up, I thank the LORD for life, health, shelter, clothes and food! Without life how can you dream? Without health how can you enjoy wealth? Let's learn to appreciate and be thankful! Godbless y'all!🙏💕💖😊🌟🌟🌟💫💫

Hi all, wish thread #20 may bring you best of luck.

I need help to clarify if my proccessing time is out of the range for I-485 interview.

My I-485 receipt date is April 5, 2017. USCIS Office: Vermont Service Center(Already transferred to the local office)

So, should I select Saint Albans VT or my local office from the drop menu to see if it exceeds the proccessing time. And timeframe starts with I-485 receipt date or from the date my I-360 was approved and my case was transferred to the local office? That's kinda confusing to me.

Also, does contact a senator make any difference than a contacting a congressman/women? I've already did the latter and received a response from my congresswoman that my case is on queue for the interview, waiting for an empty slot.

Thanks again, stay safe everyone.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline
34 minutes ago, gurgen said:

does contact a senator make any difference than a contacting a congressman/women?

Congressmen's offices are typically more "nimble" in obtaining responses from USCIS.  This is because Congressmen represent fewer people than Senators do, so they can (in theory) act more rapidly on your behalf.

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

43 minutes ago, gurgen said:

I need help to clarify if my proccessing time is out of the range for I-485 interview.

My I-485 receipt date is April 5, 2017. USCIS Office: Vermont Service Center(Already transferred to the local office)

So, should I select Saint Albans VT or my local office from the drop menu to see if it exceeds the proccessing time. And timeframe starts with I-485 receipt date or from the date my I-360 was approved and my case was transferred to the local office? That's kinda confusing to me.

Also, does contact a senator make any difference than a contacting a congressman/women? I've already did the latter and received a response from my congresswoman that my case is on queue for the interview, waiting for an empty slot.

Receipt date starts from when the petition was received. You should check the processing time for your local field office not Saint Albans VT! The waiting time doesn't start or depend on when i360 was approved..it is not limited to but includes the fact that the pace and work load at the local office has a lot to do with how fast you get scheduled! In the matter of who to contact..I believe the experience is different for everyone...I contacted both Congress and Senatorial help and found the latter more reliable..quick response and all. I really wish you all the best!👍😊

Thank you both @TBoneTX and @Stillwinning!!!😊 It says that 'Receipt date for a case inquiry' for 'Family-based adjustment applications from September 29, 2017' at my local office. It's 5 months behind already.

I'll try my luck with the Senator then. I appretiate your help, god bless you all.

9 minutes ago, gurgen said:

Thank you both @TBoneTX and @Stillwinning!!!😊 It says that 'Receipt date for a case inquiry' for 'Family-based adjustment applications from September 29, 2017' at my local office. It's 5 months behind already.

I'll try my luck with the Senator then. I appretiate your help, god bless you all.

You can do both as well...I did that..waiting for who gets back to me faster! Turns out my senator had more speed! Like I mentioned earlier, it's different for everyone..I've read somewhere here about someone who didn't have any luck with their senator!💁 spread your options..like I suggested..whatever floats your boat girl.👍😊

9 minutes ago, gurgen said:

Thank you @Stillwinning!!!😊 Like I said I've already contacted to the Congresswoman and got a response from USCIS as my case in the queue for interview. Reaching out to the Senator is my only bet right now and I will try that 😇

Oh okay great! Looks like you're all set..you definitely will get scheduled anytime now..with or without the input from the senator. But yeah go ahead and hola at your senator. All the best dear!👍😊

5 hours ago, DeadliftingDad said:

I was wondering if anyone had any experience with a VAWA case while they're residing in their home country and facing a re-entry ban.

I have a current I130/I485 with my spouse and I'm waiting to finish my VAWA submission.  However, I'm running out of options to live here and may need to go back to my home country (Canada). The current place I'm at is the not the best.  It's not allowing me to heal.  So one option I'm considering is going back to Canada. Problem is though if overstayed my original tourist visa and once I were to leave, I would get a 10 year re-entry ban.

I talked to my lawyer about this. She said it is possible to me to file my VAWA submission while in Canada, and have the re-entry ban waived because I was essentially stuck in an abusive relationship.  Has anyone had experience with this? It seems too good to be true. 

Yeah the ban can be waived if you can demonstrate that an EWI or overstay were somehow related to the abuse. You do not have to file I-601, you have to attach a statement and other evidence supporting your claim with your I-485 or DS-260.

So for example if you are out of status because you stopped maintaining it when you married and later the abusive spouse pulled the rug from under you then you do have a case. If you overstayed before you even met the abusive spouse then no and you're best off staying in US.

Honestly I would recommend just staying in US so you don't have to deal with having to waive the ban. If you need a few weeks or months to chill in Canada just use advance parole and go take a vacation.

Contradictions without citations only make you look dumb.

4 hours ago, gurgen said:

In this case you should check the local field office for their processing times. VSC doesn't really process I-485s unless you're adjusting from a T or U visa. They basically just do the initial screening that the application is complete and the required documents are attached, sit on it until I-360 is approved, and send it to your local office for the final decision.

Regarding senator/congressman, you can contact all 3. Senators in theory have a bit more pull since those are the big fish of US Politics, and in theory your congressman deals with a lot less inquiries so they should be a lot more responsive. Note that they cannot really ram your application through USCIS, they can inquire and maybe nudge the agency but nothing more than that. If your case really falls outside processing times then the only thing you can do is get a lawsuit going against USCIS under the Mandamus Act to force a decision.

Thanks @Demise Since I've already tried Congressman option, I will try to get help from the Senator this time. I also doubt that they could force a decision or whatever through USCIS but I will ask their help anyway just because I can. 

Wow I didn't know the lawsuit option against USCIS :s Maybe next year I'll do that or I'll go protest USCIS as naked in front of the Federal Plaza in Manhattan:p 

2 hours ago, Demise said:

In this case you should check the local field office for their processing times. VSC doesn't really process I-485s unless you're adjusting from a T or U visa. They basically just do the initial screening that the application is complete and the required documents are attached, sit on it until I-360 is approved, and send it to your local office for the final decision.

Regarding senator/congressman, you can contact all 3. Senators in theory have a bit more pull since those are the big fish of US Politics, and in theory your congressman deals with a lot less inquiries so they should be a lot more responsive. Note that they cannot really ram your application through USCIS, they can inquire and maybe nudge the agency but nothing more than that. If your case really falls outside processing times then the only thing you can do is get a lawsuit going against USCIS under the Mandamus Act to force a decision.

Good eve, so which date are we going to look to see if we are out of processing time?

Vawa approval?

I485 receipt date?

Or the priority date in vawa approval letter?

Thanks again for the info.

Stay safe guys

God bless always

42 minutes ago, Klein said:

Good eve, so which date are we going to look to see if we are out of processing time?

Vawa approval?

I485 receipt date?

Or the priority date in vawa approval letter?

Thanks again for the info.

Stay safe guys

God bless always

I-485 receipt I would assume.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.