2,966 posts in this topic

My abuser sent me text message if am.going to sign divorce papers this morning?  He also said he want to moved his remaining stuff from the apartment, mind you I still lives in the apartment, looking forward to move to another place.

5 hours ago, fromthewater said:

Greetings!

Does anyone have the experience of being approved for abuse waiver without an interview?

Does abuse waiver have a higher chance of being requested for an interview?

I am asking because I originally submitted with only Divorce waiver, and I got an RFE. I talked to immigration professionals, and I have been advised to add in abuse waiver - because they believe I am qualified for that, and that I should write a personal statement.

I don’t have police report or restraining order, so I don’t feel strongly about a abuse waiver.

Now, I am debating if adding in abuse waiver is necessary. It seems like I could be approved with divorce waiver after responding to the RFE.

So - 

Does abuse waiver EVER get approved WITHOUT an interview?

Does abuse waiver have more chances/ more cases of being interviewed?

What would you do if it was you?

Much appreciated!

you did mentioned thAt you originally submitted at divorce waiver? 

Filed: IR-5 Timeline
5 minutes ago, Risen said:

My abuser sent me text message if am.going to sign divorce papers this morning?  He also said he want to moved his remaining stuff from the apartment, mind you I still lives in the apartment, looking forward to move to another place.

What is your question?

04/21/20: IR-5 Submitted Online 

04/21/20: NOA1 Issued online

04/27/20: NOA1 Received via postal mail from Texas Service Center

04/27/20: Touched

04/28/20: Case Transferred to California Service Center

05/14/20: Touched 

05/15/20: Touched 

07/01/20: Touched

07/06/20: Touched 

07/06/20: RFE Issued (not available online)

07/16/20: RFE Received in Mail

07/20/20: DNA Done in USA

08/09/20: RFE Partial Response Submitted Online

08/26/20: RFE Partial Response Submitted via mail

09/01/20: Touched

10/28/21: DNA test results Received by USCIS

11/12/21: NOA2

1 hour ago, Stillwinning!!!😊 said:

Hey..you have everything you need! I360 approval letter, combo card..I mean you're free to travel as long as you adhere to the rules as it pertains to travel to your home country. I only hope you never filed asylum..or not in removal proceedings then you're good! I360 C31 EAD is mainly to allow you work when your VAWA is approved nothing else! Just don't overstay the validity of your travel document!👍😊

Thanks for your response. I know I fell out of status for more that 180 days before I filed my I-485 AOS and I am worried that I could be refused entry into the US is I travel out . 

3 minutes ago, Progress40 said:

Thanks for your response. I know I fell out of status for more that 180 days before I filed my I-485 AOS and I am worried that I could be refused entry into the US is I travel out . 

Lots of people were out of status by far longer time even years myself included but as long as you have a pending i485 and the valid travel document..AP you will be fine..the only conditions are that you are not in removal proceedings, and didn't file for asylum..as naturally you're supposed to be fleeing your country to seek refuge in America..so eyebrows and more will be raised if you travel freely to your country and still claiming asylum..kinda contradictory!👍

52 minutes ago, Risen said:

Just thinking is it right to sign the divorce paper without having a lawyer?

Do you have a lawyer? If yes let him talk to your lawyer..also if y'all don't have any complexities then you could sign after thoroughly studying the document to avoid trapping yourself in anyway! 

2 hours ago, Stillwinning!!!😊 said:

Do you have a lawyer? If yes let him talk to your lawyer..also if y'all don't have any complexities then you could sign after thoroughly studying the document to avoid trapping yourself in anyway! 

Fully agree with that statement.

3 hours ago, Risen said:

Just thinking is it right to sign the divorce paper without having a lawyer?

Please be carefule, i was in the same situation and all i can say is read trough the documents, leave yourself time to understand everything and becarefule when you meet with your abuser there is always a chance things can get rought. Just saying from personal experience, also if you meet with him/her let it be in a public space. 

4 minutes ago, Apolo said:

Please be carefule, i was in the same situation and all i can say is read trough the documents, leave yourself time to understand everything and becarefule when you meet with your abuser there is always a chance things can get rought. Just saying from personal experience, also if you meet with him/her let it be in a public space. 

Absolutely! Because they aim to give a hard time..not make things easier..kind of suspicious to me that he just wants out neatly and nicely! I would run the other way..attorney should be involved.💁

1 hour ago, Apolo said:

Thank you.

I was wondering if anyone had any experience with a VAWA case while they're residing in their home country and facing a re-entry ban.

I have a current I130/I485 with my spouse and I'm waiting to finish my VAWA submission.  However, I'm running out of options to live here and may need to go back to my home country (Canada). The current place I'm at is the not the best.  It's not allowing me to heal.  So one option I'm considering is going back to Canada. Problem is though if overstayed my original tourist visa and once I were to leave, I would get a 10 year re-entry ban.

I talked to my lawyer about this. She said it is possible to me to file my VAWA submission while in Canada, and have the re-entry ban waived because I was essentially stuck in an abusive relationship.  Has anyone had experience with this? It seems too good to be true. 

Hey lovely people, I hope you are all doing well, so I applied for Financial aid with my prima facie and it was awarded I can finally go back to school, just a little good news I wanted to share. Thanks to everybody here for their advice. I still have a long way to go, but I thank God for the little blessings along the way. I hope that those of you who are waiting for some sort of news hear something great and for those of us who are still new to the journey I pray God gives us the strength and patience (especially me 😅); and for those who are planning to begin the process, I pray that God blesses you with the courage to begin. Happy labor day lovelies.

Filed: Other Country: Nigeria
Timeline
2 minutes ago, luminarc said:

Hey lovely people, I hope you are all doing well, so I applied for Financial aid with my prima facie and it was awarded I can finally go back to school, just a little good news I wanted to share. Thanks to everybody here for their advice. I still have a long way to go, but I thank God for the little blessings along the way. I hope that those of you who are waiting for some sort of news hear something great and for those of us who are still new to the journey I pray God gives us the strength and patience (especially me 😅); and for those who are planning to begin the process, I pray that God blesses you with the courage to begin. Happy labor day lovelies.

Congratulations. These "little blessings" are the essential building blocks for greater things. Could you briefly share how you processed, please?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.