Lavazza_K

RFE for B2 extension (Mom's visit extension due to Covid)

16 posts in this topic

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

Hi all,

Wanted to share and pick yall's minds on responding to an RFE received on my mother's B2 extension application. I'm including part of the RFE in attachment here.

Background--

1. My mom entered US in Nov 2019 via valid B2 visa to visit, prior to this trip she has come 3 times, always left before the 6 months mark. I applied for her extension in mid Feb due to a travel ban or an advisory against, to China. I applied to extend to 10/31.

2. I listed reason for the extension as mom being high risk group due to her heart condition, and hardship in traveling. I stated that I would be financially responsible for the extension, and attached my pay stub/savings/checking account.

3. I'm a permanent resident.

Questions--

1. RFE is asking to provide evidence of activities "consistent with the B classification" - we have traveled a couple times, which i will include. Does visiting friends and family also count? Is there any documents i need to watch for to exclude that potentially can have a negative impact?

2. RFE is asking to provide evidence of stay would be temporary - i assume this means pretty much flight ticket. I have not booked one for her. Has anyone here responded without a ticket but any other evidence support hardship in traveling? 

3. I might get objections on this question, but I was looking into filing another extension if this one gets approved, is that possible? so that she can stay until the vaccine comes out end of this year or early next year. She has a very bad heart condition, flying for 20+ hrs could be very dangerous for her in the current condition - she can't wear a mask for that long either since she also has asthma

Please let me know if you had gone through this and have other suggestions. Appreciate everyone's time!

snip 3.PNG

snip 1.PNG

snip 2.PNG

Sorry this bit is not going to be directly helpful to you but I just wanted to comment that I find this interesting, as it had seemed they were being more lenient than usual with Covid related applications. This makes it seem they are certainly scrutinizing them as well as anything else. 

In terms of trying to be helpful: consistent with B essentially means, not in effect actually living here. Probably always a concern with a parent as clearly parent is probably staying with you, maybe helping look after kids, cook etc rather than “being a tourist”. (Yes yes I know that’s what a parent visit is, but...) And - you clearly didn’t do what you should have done in terms of providing details of residence, why she would go home etc. That should have been done as per the instructions.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Did you submit details of her travel insurance?

Otherwise the questions look pretty straightforward.

Agree with waiting for a vaccination, that could be never.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Timeline
4 hours ago, SusieQQQ said:

Sorry this bit is not going to be directly helpful to you but I just wanted to comment that I find this interesting, as it had seemed they were being more lenient than usual with Covid related applications. This makes it seem they are certainly scrutinizing them as well as anything else. 

In terms of trying to be helpful: consistent with B essentially means, not in effect actually living here. Probably always a concern with a parent as clearly parent is probably staying with you, maybe helping look after kids, cook etc rather than “being a tourist”. (Yes yes I know that’s what a parent visit is, but...) And - you clearly didn’t do what you should have done in terms of providing details of residence, why she would go home etc. That should have been done as per the instructions.

Thank you for your input! Yes I should've included more of her ties to going back home evidence. That part of their request is legit. 

Timeline
1 hour ago, Boiler said:

Did you submit details of her travel insurance?

Otherwise the questions look pretty straightforward.

Agree with waiting for a vaccination, that could be never.

Thanks for your input! I haven't purchased a travel insurance so far.. is it too late to do so?

I agree, i wouldn't say their questions are out of the norm. 

50 minutes ago, Lavazza_K said:

Thank you for your input! Yes I should've included more of her ties to going back home evidence. That part of their request is legit. 

Not sure what you mean “that part” - the entirety of the RFE is “legit”. You are asking a concession and they are entitled to understand why she needs so long in the country. 

47 minutes ago, Lavazza_K said:

Thanks for your input! I haven't purchased a travel insurance so far.. is it too late to do so?

i have to say, it seems strange that your mom has so many health conditions - tbh it sounds like even traveling without a pandemic must have been problematic- yet you don’t have insurance for her?

Edited by SusieQQQ

Timeline
52 minutes ago, Lavazza_K said:

She has a very bad heart condition, flying for 20+ hrs could be very dangerous for her in the current condition - she can't wear a mask for that long either since she also has asthma

She came to US without Travel Insurance? And you are financially responsible for her medical expenses.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

in addition to those points listed by others, I’m just noting that Trump banned travel from China NOT to China due to concerns of covid coming out of the region on jan 31...

you applied mid feb for the extension citing covid and her risk category/health as the reason but the National covid emergency wasn’t announced until mid March.. with the risks/health impacts not really known until that time.. appears your using covid and her health as the reason for the extension some 6 weeks prior to it becoming a national emergency yet didn’t care to purchase travel insurance or mind the flight on her arrival.

having arrived early March, pre covid alert, I needed an extension since my flight home were end of March.. had no issues and I’m not high risk health

Edited by Duke & Marie

AOS Journey

• I-485 etc filed 23 April 2020 
  • NOA1 I-485 June 3 2020 
  • NOA1 EAD 23 April 2020
  • Biometrics 5 Jan 2021
  • EAD approved 12 March 2021
  • Interview Completed 24 March 2021
  • EAD Card Received 1 April 2021  
  • Case under review 2 April 2021
  • New Card is Being Produced 25 September 2021
  • 10 Year Green Card Approved and Mailed 27 September 2021 🙌🙌🙌🙌🙌

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Germany
Timeline

Make sure you buy a return ticket home and send the receipt of that. The chances of succeeding with the I-539 without it are very slim, since you cannot show a concrete plan for her leaving the country. 

Timeline

Should say on the notice

Edited by Boiler

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.