Bluegirl55

K1 or CR1? Covid Situation

59 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline
5 minutes ago, Bluegirl55 said:

Can someone send me a link describing how to start the CR1 process?

Check the guides section here:  https://www.visajourney.com/guides/

image.png.94f6e54b4e17db50c7bc6b98e7c78486.png

Edited by Lucky Cat

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Timeline
5 minutes ago, Bluegirl55 said:

Sorry I have another question, what do you think about K3 visa? :3

K-3s are obsolete.....In 2019, I think only about 5 were even issued world-wide.   The number of issued K-3s has been decreasing for years.  ..The I-129Fs are almost always administratively closed.  The I-130 then continues to be processed as a CR1/IR-1.  

Edited by Lucky Cat

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

10 minutes ago, Lucky Cat said:

K-3s are obsolete.....In 2019, I think only about 5 were even issued world-wide.   The number of issued K-3s has been decreasing for years.  ..The I-129Fs are almost always administratively closed.  The I-130 then continues to be processed as a CR1/IR-1.  

Thank you so much :)

Filed: F-1 Visa Country: Turkey
Timeline
28 minutes ago, Bluegirl55 said:

When did you submit the petition for K1 and where is the office?

Where are CR1 cases usually sent?

When -- August of last year. They get sent to one of like 5 random offices. I live in NY but mine was sent to California. 

I have no idea about CR-1. I think they're sent to random offices too but I'm not sure. 

event.png

event.png

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline

I agree with other posters in the K1 now. When I did it it was fast, 8 months from day of filing to her entering the US Visa in hand. AOS was cheaper then, and for our situation she had 5 months of schooling full time to complete to get hours for transfer of her license and English school, so the 5-6 months waiting for the work permit didn't matter to us as she wouldn't be working anyway. Managed to get her here and got the AOS interview and green card in February this year right before the covid hit( got lucky I that one) now we can not worry about anything for another year and a few months when we go to ROC, but that's an easy thing and fees are not too bad even with the increase in cost ( an extra 80 bucks or so). Citizenship went up 81%, that hurts everyone though, doesn't matter how you come.

Here on a K1? Need married and a Certificate in hand within a few hours? I'm here to help. Come to Vegas and I'll marry you Vegas style!!   Visa Journey members are always FREE for my services. I know the costs involved in this whole game of immigration, and if I can save you some money I will!

56 minutes ago, SmilingDuck said:

For us, cr-1 was too expensive upfront, we wanted to get married in the usa bc I want my family there, the wait was much less before he got to the usa, and k1 was not that much more expensive last year when we filed.  The fees hadn't gone up and there wasn't yet any talk about fees going up.  

We got married in the US and did a
CR-1. I got married while I was visiting. It is possible to have a wedding in the US and not have to do the K-1. 

Timeline in brief:

Married: September 27, 2014

I-130 filed: February 5, 2016

NOA1: February 8, 2016 Nebraska

NOA2: July 21, 2016

Interview: December 6, 2016 London

POE: December 19, 2016 Las Vegas

N-400 filed: September 30, 2019

Interview: March 22, 2021 Seattle

Oath: March 22, 2021 COVID-style same-day oath

Now a US citizen!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Jordan
Timeline
4 hours ago, SmilingDuck said:

K-1 usually has shorter wait times and money spread out into different forms.  It winds up costing a little more but your fiancé is in the usa quicker and the cost is spread out. You still have to do a lot of the paperwork when they get to the usa bc they don't have their green card / residence permit and you need to pay for the form for them to work.  

Cr-1 i think takes about a year before your fiancé is in the USA but all the money and forms are done at once so the cost is all upfront.  When they come they have their green card already.  I think they can work automatically too. 

Bc of Coronavirus everything is taking longer and uscis is increasing the price of all their forms.  

Idk about the cr-1 requirements bc I'm doing the k-1 Visa.  It's been about a year at this point and he's still not here but that's bc of coronavirus.  Unless the situation with covid 19 improves I'd suggest the cr-1. Idk how you will do it with no income though bc I think the income requirements are higher.  Please look it up and see.  

A K-1 doesn't cost a "little more", it costs almost double. Plus there are a lot more steps to a K-1 and you cannot work for quite or leave the for a while after entering the US.

The CR-1 is by far the superior choice.

It costs far less, you receive a green card immediately,  you can work immediately and you can travel outside the country immediately upon entering the US. 

Edited by Cathi

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Mexico
Timeline
3 hours ago, JFH said:

A “little more” is debatable. After the October fee increase the K-1 will cost over $2000 more than the CR-1. Adjustment of status is increasing in cost from $1225 to $2170. There is no adjustment of status for CR-1. That’s an extra $2170 the K-1 people have to pay to be in an “inferior” status for months when they arrive. 

I never saw the benefits of a K-1 before the fee increase but even those who previously thought the K-1 was a good idea must now be re-thinking that. 

I’m luckily through the K-1 process. I understand completely the logistical and financial differences, but I wish people really considered the “every couple has their own priorities” part more than they seemingly do when they are giving advice. People tend to scoff at the idea of a K-1 and those who choose to do it. For me and my wife, the CR-1 route felt a little too impersonal. It would place the marriage at an odd place in our journey through life together. Perhaps it’s too traditional, but there was something that felt odd about getting married, putting a ring on your finger, then immediately separating from your spouse for upwards of a year. The K-1 gave us time to be engaged, to plan (kind of) a wedding, then start our marriage together and never be apart from that day on. It just seemed to be a more appropriate life/relationship transition. Maybe an unpopular opinion, but it’s something that the K-1 inherently provides.

edit: I also want take this chance to thank you for the advice you give on here. Your experience and knowledge is greatly appreciated.

Edited by visaquestion1234

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Kenya
Timeline
1 hour ago, Cathi said:

A K-1 doesn't cost a "little more", it costs almost double. Plus there are a lot more steps to a K-1 and you cannot work for quite or leave the for a while after entering the US.

The CR-1 is by far the superior choice.

It costs far less, you receive a green card immediately,  you can work immediately and you can travel outside the country immediately upon entering the US. 

And you are forgetting that in this covid, you don't have to contact your senator to be made mission critical because by definition as a spouse you are mission critical

3 hours ago, SmilingDuck said:

The fees hadn't gone up and there wasn't yet any talk about fees going up.  

Fees (if filing I-485 on or after Oct. 2) after entering the US with K-1 will depend on the following;

• Filing for I-485, I-765, and I-131 new total fee: $2270. ($1045 more expensive than right now)
  • Filing for I-485 and I-765 new total fee: $1680. ($455 more expensive than right now)
  • Filing for I-485 and I-131 new total fee: $1720. ($495 more expensive than right now)
  • Filing only I-485 new total fee: $1130. (It's actually cheaper than right now by $95)
4 hours ago, Bluegirl55 said:

How much time do you think we need to take CR1 visa and can I send immediately 7 days after the wedding?

As soon as you have the official marriage certificate.

3 hours ago, Bluegirl55 said:

Where are CR1 cases usually sent?

I-130 petition has an online filing option: https://www.uscis.gov/i-130 After marriage, the US citizen submits I-130 petition. Eventually it's going to ask the US citizen: "For whom are you filing this petition? Select the relationship the beneficiary has to you (e.g., if the beneficiary is your parent, select "Parent")." When the US citizen selects "Spouse" it says the following:

You selected you are petitioning for a spouse
You will need to upload the Supplemental Information for Spouse Beneficiary (I-130A) as a part of the evidence for this application.

Since you are currently outside of the US you don't have to sign I-130A supplement, but it still needs to be uploaded by the US citizen. Later in the Evidence upload section:

Supplemental Information for Spouse Beneficiary (I-130A)

If you are filing for your spouse, he or she must complete and sign Supplemental Information for Spouse Beneficiary (I-130A). If your spouse is overseas, the I-130A must still be completed, but your spouse does not have to sign the I-130A.

File upload icon
Drag files here or choose a file
Maximum size: 6MB per file
Accepted formats: JPG, JPEG, PDF, TIF, or TIFF
No encrypted or password-protected files

Attaching your files
Use a scanner or take pictures of each document. Make sure each image you attach is clear and that all text is readable.

Translations
If your documents are in a foreign language, upload an English translation along with the original.

Edited by HRQX

Timeline
1 hour ago, visaquestion1234 said:

For me and my wife, the CR-1 route felt a little too impersonal. It would place the marriage at an odd place in our journey through life together. Perhaps it’s too traditional, but there was something that felt odd about getting married, putting a ring on your finger, then immediately separating from your spouse for upwards of a year. The K-1 gave us time to be engaged, to plan (kind of) a wedding, then start our marriage together and never be apart from that day on. It just seemed to be a more appropriate life/relationship transition. Maybe an unpopular opinion, but it’s something that the K-1 inherently provides.

We did the CR-1.  We had time to be engaged.....we had the kind of wedding we wanted........life is full of choices and consequences.....in my mind, there are emotional, short term choices and there are practical, bigger-picture choices.....and consequences.  That's why we CR-1 proponents try give couple as much accurate information as possible when they ask "Which visa is better". Each couple can weight a K-1 & a CR-1.   Many posters made decisions without all the information...and regretted it later......but we all make our own decisions....

Edited by Lucky Cat

3 hours ago, SmilingDuck said:

When -- August of last year. They get sent to one of like 5 random offices. I live in NY but mine was sent to California.

Almost all I-129F petitions for fiance go to California Service Center. Some go to Vermont if the US citizen has certain history (like AWA type crimes).

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.