LondonerCat

U.K. folks in LA? Want friends!

43 posts in this topic

4 minutes ago, Morgan5698 said:

Thanks for the info! It's good to hear all is going smoothly there. I'll make note to not get there early. Also good to know it was all done in under an hour as my wife is coming up to London with me (We live in Brighton) so gives me an idea how long she'll be waiting around for. I think I need 2 jabs so might be an extra 5 mins! 

My father in law is actually a part time driving instructor. He said he's super busy at present so I assume by that they must be doing tests. I'll ask him more when I speak to him later. 

Perfect, let us know what he says, thanks!

On 8/8/2020 at 11:56 AM, Eladnolnod said:

Has anybody thought about how easy it’s going to be to try and get a drivers license once we are there? 

We aren’t really sure what the deal is with the DMV right now. I hope it’s open and we are able to schedule appointments to get a permit and sit the tests ASAP.

Yeah me too. 

On 8/8/2020 at 2:02 PM, Eladnolnod said:

Perfect, let us know what he says, thanks!

On 8/10/2020 at 10:44 AM, Gaz1a said:

Yeah me too. 

He said there is a waiting list but shouldn't be a problem assuming you book it in advance. I'll follow this up more with him when I actually speak to him. I'm planning on heading out in Oct for a couple of weeks (assuming approval) so I can activate the GC and also sort some work and personal things out prior to the actual move in 2021. So if I can get the test booked into that two weeks I will. Will let you know as I know more. 

1 hour ago, Morgan5698 said:

He said there is a waiting list but shouldn't be a problem assuming you book it in advance. I'll follow this up more with him when I actually speak to him. I'm planning on heading out in Oct for a couple of weeks (assuming approval) so I can activate the GC and also sort some work and personal things out prior to the actual move in 2021. So if I can get the test booked into that two weeks I will. Will let you know as I know more. 

That’s good news, at least it can still be done & if we manage to arrange it early enough the wait shouldn’t be too much!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
On 8/7/2020 at 9:01 AM, LondonerCat said:

Hi all! 

I have my interview booked for my CR1 application later this month and if all goes well, planning to leave the U.K. to be with my husband at the end of September. 

I’ve just got back from a lovely trip to see him. I guess the thought of actually moving is setting in. I’ve been so consumed with excitement and anticipation that now it’s starting to feel very real. 

I’m learning to drive, have a plan with regards to finding work but I have no friends in LA. My husband isn’t especially social so doesn’t have a big friendship group like I do. I will my friends and family dearly and would love to make some british friends abroad - I think it will really help settle my inevitable homesickness. 

I was wondering if anyone has any experiencing with ex-pat ‘find a friend’ groups/ pages? I couldn’t see anything on here.

Thank you all! 🙂 

I’m from London to moving to Los Angeles near Venice beach to be with my fiance! :) I won’t be there until next year though, because We only just completed everything to send off for the k1. But due to the coronavirus we now might be considering the CR1 so just wondering how long did the CR1 take you? And is it a more difficult visa? Thanks! 

6 hours ago, Sophiecheshire said:

I’m from London to moving to Los Angeles near Venice beach to be with my fiance! :) I won’t be there until next year though, because We only just completed everything to send off for the k1. But due to the coronavirus we now might be considering the CR1 so just wondering how long did the CR1 take you? And is it a more difficult visa? Thanks! 

Oh wow, good luck to you! You’ll be just down the road from me in El Segundo! 

Well, I can’t compare to the K-1 because other than watching 90 Day Fiancé, I have no idea how it works😅 But the CR1 is relatively straight forward. Just make sure you’re organised and this forum is great for any questions. 

We got married in September and I can move in September, so just shy of 12 months total. We did expedite at the last stage so perhaps would of been a couple of months longer, but that’s only due to COVID delays. Best of luck to you both! 

23 hours ago, Sophiecheshire said:

I think K1 is normally a tad quicker but with everything going on at present that’s been blown out the water. CR1/IR1 IMO has been relatively straight forward for us Despite Covid delay, but we were DCF (direct consular filing) which is no longer an option. I think a lot of your choice will come down to where you want to get married and when travel is allowed easier between US/U.K. either way you will have options. I think if you are already set for K1 prob best to proceed with that as otherwise you will need to marry first and that’s going to be tough at the moment and could end up taking longer. 

Really, really recommend people scheduling appointments with the DMVs in the LA area to do it sooner rather than later, because it is a nightmare even in normal non-COVID19 times to get an appointment! 

And hellooooooo from Santa Monica! Socially distanced, of course. :) 

On 8/7/2020 at 5:01 PM, LondonerCat said:

Hi all! 

I have my interview booked for my CR1 application later this month and if all goes well, planning to leave the U.K. to be with my husband at the end of September. 

I’ve just got back from a lovely trip to see him. I guess the thought of actually moving is setting in. I’ve been so consumed with excitement and anticipation that now it’s starting to feel very real. 

I’m learning to drive, have a plan with regards to finding work but I have no friends in LA. My husband isn’t especially social so doesn’t have a big friendship group like I do. I will my friends and family dearly and would love to make some british friends abroad - I think it will really help settle my inevitable homesickness. 

I was wondering if anyone has any experiencing with ex-pat ‘find a friend’ groups/ pages? I couldn’t see anything on here.

Thank you all! 🙂 

Hello:) I’m also moving to LA after my interview in London 3rd of September! When is/was your interview date? 

10 minutes ago, Mpere said:

Hello:) I’m also moving to LA after my interview in London 3rd of September! When is/was your interview date? 

Ohhh there’s so many of us! Good luck with your interview, it will go just fine! I had mine Monday! Approved but they hadn’t got my medical and couldn’t see my husbands W2 (all sorted now!😅) I am planning to fly out on October 3rd! Where in LA are you moving to? 

Just now, LondonerCat said:

Ohhh there’s so many of us! Good luck with your interview, it will go just fine! I had mine Monday! Approved but they hadn’t got my medical and couldn’t see my husbands W2 (all sorted now!😅) I am planning to fly out on October 3rd! Where in LA are you moving to? 

Congratulations on the approval! And what is W2? I’m thinking to book flight for 15th September, I heard someone got his visa just a week after the interview, so fingers crossed:) I’m moving to Pasadena. Is there a WhatsApp group I can join? 

On 8/24/2020 at 10:18 AM, Gaz1a said:

Does everyone still want to create a WhatsApp group? If so, please PM your mobile number and I can set it up. 

Sorry I only just saw this! I'll PM you my number. I was approved Monday and my visa status on CEAC today changes to Issued so should hopefully receive it soon! 

1 hour ago, Mpere said:

And what is W2? I’m thinking to book flight for 15th September, I heard someone got his visa just a week after the interview, so fingers crossed:) I’m moving to Pasadena. Is there a WhatsApp group I can join? 

In a nutshell A W2 is what an employer gives an employee to submit their taxes with. It has details of earnings. Also yes - PM Gaz1a he's setting up the Whatsapp group!   

On 8/19/2020 at 12:15 AM, laylalex said:

Really, really recommend people scheduling appointments with the DMVs in the LA area to do it sooner rather than later, because it is a nightmare even in normal non-COVID19 times to get an appointment! 

And hellooooooo from Santa Monica! Socially distanced, of course. :) 

Thanks for the advice! My father in law emailed me this ridiculously long list of what to do to get a drivers license in CA. I'll try and chop it up later today and post it on here for the people that were interested. 

Hello to Santa Monica! I'm currently in Brighton but will be moving to Whittier for a few months then we're looking at Newport Beach. It was going to be Long Beach but my wife changed her mind!  

36 minutes ago, Morgan5698 said:

Thanks for the advice! My father in law emailed me this ridiculously long list of what to do to get a drivers license in CA. I'll try and chop it up later today and post it on here for the people that were interested. 

Hello to Santa Monica! I'm currently in Brighton but will be moving to Whittier for a few months then we're looking at Newport Beach. It was going to be Long Beach but my wife changed her mind!  

That would be great! It's sooo confusing... but I've been following these steps - https://www.aceable.com/blog/how-to-get-your-license-when-youre-new-to-california/ - as I don't have a Social Security number yet, Ic can't really progress can I? 

@laylalex what's the best way to book an appointment? Is that an appointment for just the theory test or do you mean the actual driving test? I'm sooo confused. Do I need a social security number to book an appointment?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.