Takami

Bringing a pet to USA.

12 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Japan
Timeline

Hi all, I'm planning on bring my pup with us from Japan to US and wondering if I can share your experiences 😊 

Thank you.

Edited by Takami

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

Thread is moved from Off Topic to the "Moving to the US" forum.

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Japan
Timeline
9 hours ago, Takami said:

Hi all, I'm planning on bring my pup with us from Japan to US and wondering if I can share your experiences 😊 

Thank you.

Hi @TaKane     We are bringing two dogs (toy poodles) with us on an ANA flight.  

Originally, we were hoping to fly United as they have significantly improved their pet transportation by creating PetSafe service.  Unfortunately, however, they have suspended the service due to the Covid --- United even allows small dogs in cabin on their international flights (in an economy cabin only /  dogs have to stay in their carry bag under the seat in front --- so this is only for small dogs).  

ANA accepts only 3 dogs per flight.  So you might want to call them first if they have some room for your dog before booking your seats. For each dog, 40,000 yen charge to be paid at check-in.

Timeline
5 hours ago, vj-nv-55 said:

Hi @TaKane     We are bringing two dogs (toy poodles) with us on an ANA flight.  

Originally, we were hoping to fly United as they have significantly improved their pet transportation by creating PetSafe service.  Unfortunately, however, they have suspended the service due to the Covid --- United even allows small dogs in cabin on their international flights (in an economy cabin only /  dogs have to stay in their carry bag under the seat in front --- so this is only for small dogs).  

ANA accepts only 3 dogs per flight.  So you might want to call them first if they have some room for your dog before booking your seats. For each dog, 40,000 yen charge to be paid at check-in.

Hi @vj-nv-55 thank you for your reply, I have a Pome-Poo.

I was planning on flying with UNITED as well because of their PetSafe service 😰 hopefully they lift this suspension by the time my K-1 is approved(still long way to go 😆), also I have been researching for the paperwork requirements, I contacted quarantine office at Narita Airport but still unclear what exactly I need, would you mind sharing the informations of the procedures please?

In addition, I'mTakami not Takane 😉.

Timeline

@Takami  I am awfully sorry for mistaking your name.  My apologies to @TaKane too.

I myself was pretty confused about the papers I should collect....I have read several people's experiences on other blogs but say different things.  Also, while the CDC says dogs imported from Japan do not need rabies certificate, Narita Quarantine seems to require one.  

I have downloaded an "Application for Export Inspection of Dog" form at https://www.maff.go.jp/aqs/tetuzuki/system/97.html , filled it out and sent it to them to see how things will go from there.  When I called them, they advised that I first submit this form so that they can check it, and should there be any problems, we would discuss that, and then go on to make an inspection appointment at the airport (on the departure day).  I have not received any response from them yet -- I will share that with you asa I get it. 

At this stage, it seems the essential documents to prepare beforehand are:

- Rabies certificates

- Microchip numbers (and certificate)

Though other vaccines are not necessarily required (if I understand correctly....we will see), it may be wise to present vaccination certificate (such as "six mixed vac"). I wrote down the vaccination history of our dogs in the application form. 

I understand K-1 visas are taking pretty long. A lot of patience, right? I hope everything will be speeded up soon, and you will find yourself in the US asap!

Timeline
33 minutes ago, vj-nv-55 said:

@Takami  I am awfully sorry for mistaking your name.  My apologies to @TaKane too.

I myself was pretty confused about the papers I should collect....I have read several people's experiences on other blogs but say different things.  Also, while the CDC says dogs imported from Japan do not need rabies certificate, Narita Quarantine seems to require one.  

I have downloaded an "Application for Export Inspection of Dog" form at https://www.maff.go.jp/aqs/tetuzuki/system/97.html , filled it out and sent it to them to see how things will go from there.  When I called them, they advised that I first submit this form so that they can check it, and should there be any problems, we would discuss that, and then go on to make an inspection appointment at the airport (on the departure day).  I have not received any response from them yet -- I will share that with you asa I get it. 

- Rabies certificates

Though other vaccines are not necessarily required (if I understand correctly....we will see), it may be wise to present vaccination certificate (such as "six mixed vac"). I wrote down the vaccination history of our dogs in the application form. 

I understand K-1 visas are taking pretty long. A lot of patience, right? I hope everything will be speeded up soon, and you will find yourself in the US asap!

No problem at all. Good info for us 😃

Timeline
4 hours ago, vj-nv-55 said:

- It's ok I'm used it 🙂 lol.

- Right? That's why I posted this for the clarification. I asked my friend who took his pup last year and his pup is half chin(Short nose), so he had a hard time finding an airline that would let him fly with him. otherwise it was pretty easy, but a bit expensive. He recomended start everything three months before flying, so I have time for tests,...but I was like wait....a test? the lady at quarantine office at Narita said just get letter that said my pup is healthy enough for long flight, translated Rabies certificate and serial number of micro chip submit a week before the flight😅 

-Thank you, I will be really appreciate it.

- Rabies certificates

Thank you for your kindness and taking your time for reply all this, it helps me alot.

Timeline
1 hour ago, Takami said:

Thank you for your kindness and taking your time for reply all this, it helps me alot.

@Takami  You are most welcome.  

In my previous posting, I forgot to include one item in the list of essential documents:   Physical Certificate from a vet, issued within 10 days prior to your departure. You can download a template  and bring it to your vet. 

https://www.maff.go.jp/aqs/animal/pdf/hc_sample.pdf

Timeline
42 minutes ago, Takami said:

Thank you for the template, also wondering if you saw me replied with bold fonts on your post 😃

Hi @Takami   You are welcome.   Yup. I got your reply. Thank you!! 

Timeline

Hello @Takami     I just received a reply from the Narita Quarantine officer --- I am quite impressed with their quick response -- detailed and  very professional.

They reviewed the "Application for Export Inspection of Dog" form I emailed yesterday; and now requested me to send  the certificates (copy/PDF) of the Rabies, 6-Mixed Vaccines, and Microchip.  The first two documents have to be the ones issued by licensed vets with their signature or "hanko/stamp". Microchip certificate has to show the date when it was imbedded into the dog, the microchip number, and the issuer of the certificate. Mine was issued by the Japan Vet Association.  You need to present the original documents at the Narita quarantine on the departure day.  

At this stage, they arrange a tentative appointment for you (3 hours prior to the departure, 1 hour prior to the check-in time) according to the info on the application form.  You need to confirm this.

The office is open for quarantine inspection btw 8:30-16:30.  If you have an early morning flight, you might need to go through this the evening before your departure day.  The inspection is by appointment only; no walk-in without prior arrangement.

A detailed instruction was provided in their mail as to how to find the quarantine room / what to do on the departure day, etc.   I will post any additional info, if any, as I expect to hear from them again in a couple of days.

Timeline
6 minutes ago, vj-nv-55 said:

Hello @Takami     I just received a reply from the Narita Quarantine officer --- I am quite impressed with their quick response -- detailed and  very professional.

They reviewed the "Application for Export Inspection of Dog" form I emailed yesterday; and now requested me to send  the certificates (copy/PDF) of the Rabies, 6-Mixed Vaccines, and Microchip.  The first two documents have to be the ones issued by licensed vets with their signature or "hanko/stamp". Microchip certificate has to show the date when it was imbedded into the dog, the microchip number, and the issuer of the certificate. Mine was issued by the Japan Vet Association.  You need to present the original documents at the Narita quarantine on the departure day.  

At this stage, they arrange a tentative appointment for you (3 hours prior to the departure, 1 hour prior to the check-in time) according to the info on the application form.  You need to confirm this.

The office is open for quarantine inspection btw 8:30-16:30.  If you have an early morning flight, you might need to go through this the evening before your departure day.  The inspection is by appointment only; no walk-in without prior arrangement.

A detailed instruction was provided in their mail as to how to find the quarantine room / what to do on the departure day, etc.   I will post any additional info, if any, as I expect to hear from them again in a couple of days.

Thank you for all the informations.

There informations are very detailed and helpful.

I will try send them E-mail with questions when my visa are getting close to approval. 

😊

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.