jadmac

Some Clarity

9 posts in this topic

Hello, 

So some context: My partner is an American citizen, we're same sex, we've met frequently. 

As you probably know Covid has thrown a spanner in the works. We were planning on a fiance visa, but from what I've read people now seem to be recommending a marriage visa instead. 

So my questions are as follows: 

1. Would you recommend a marriage visa during this period? (Are they being processed etc). 
2. What is the typical process of us marrying in another country and getting it recognised in the US? 

Any help would be appreciated. I realise it is a very complex process, but just want some clarity. 

Filed: IR-5 Timeline
42 minutes ago, jadmac said:

Hello, 

So some context: My partner is an American citizen, we're same sex, we've met frequently. 

As you probably know Covid has thrown a spanner in the works. We were planning on a fiance visa, but from what I've read people now seem to be recommending a marriage visa instead. 

So my questions are as follows: 

1. Would you recommend a marriage visa during this period? (Are they being processed etc). 
2. What is the typical process of us marrying in another country and getting it recognised in the US? 

Any help would be appreciated. I realise it is a very complex process, but just want some clarity. 

1. One of the main thing that you should consider is the air travel. Are you able to travel to that country and come back without an issue? If that’s not a problem, then you can move forward.  Both take about the same time. With marriage, you get PR card immediately while it can take years with fiancé.

2. If your spouse is in one of the countries which recognizes same sex marriages, then US will recognize it as well. No further action needed to get it recognized in the US.

04/21/20: IR-5 Submitted Online 

04/21/20: NOA1 Issued online

04/27/20: NOA1 Received via postal mail from Texas Service Center

04/27/20: Touched

04/28/20: Case Transferred to California Service Center

05/14/20: Touched 

05/15/20: Touched 

07/01/20: Touched

07/06/20: Touched 

07/06/20: RFE Issued (not available online)

07/16/20: RFE Received in Mail

07/20/20: DNA Done in USA

08/09/20: RFE Partial Response Submitted Online

08/26/20: RFE Partial Response Submitted via mail

09/01/20: Touched

10/28/21: DNA test results Received by USCIS

11/12/21: NOA2

24 minutes ago, onek said:

1. One of the main thing that you should consider is the air travel. Are you able to travel to that country and come back without an issue? If that’s not a problem, then you can move forward.  Both take about the same time. With marriage, you get PR card immediately while it can take years with fiancé.

2. If your spouse is in one of the countries which recognizes same sex marriages, then US will recognize it as well. No further action needed to get it recognized in the US.

Thank you for your response! 

1. So are the applications still being processed? Is it true that marriage applications are being prioritised? 
2. I'm in the UK, they are in the US, we currently can't travel to eachother's countries so are looking for somewhere we can both travel to. 
3. Can we potentially marry in this other "country". 

The plan was for us to go to another, get married and start the visa process, just trying to figure out how feasible that is. 

Filed: IR-5 Timeline

1. Yes, both the marriage and fiancé applications are being processed. I am not sure if one is being prioritized vs the other due to Covid.

3. You have to search the “other” country and confirm that they allow you to marry and register your marriage legally. 

04/21/20: IR-5 Submitted Online 

04/21/20: NOA1 Issued online

04/27/20: NOA1 Received via postal mail from Texas Service Center

04/27/20: Touched

04/28/20: Case Transferred to California Service Center

05/14/20: Touched 

05/15/20: Touched 

07/01/20: Touched

07/06/20: Touched 

07/06/20: RFE Issued (not available online)

07/16/20: RFE Received in Mail

07/20/20: DNA Done in USA

08/09/20: RFE Partial Response Submitted Online

08/26/20: RFE Partial Response Submitted via mail

09/01/20: Touched

10/28/21: DNA test results Received by USCIS

11/12/21: NOA2

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

~~Moved to What Visa Do I Need, from Off TOpic - the OP is exploring options.~~

Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

As note generally the I-129F is processed faster than the I-130.  There is less of a burden to prove a relationship, you just provide evidence of meeting in the last 2 years. 

K1 generally means faster together, slower to green card and more expensive.  It doesn't take years for the AOS segment but can take up to about a year. 

Starting in October the the work authorization and travel document are no longer included in the cost of the AOS so the cost of AOS increases significantly if the foreign spouse wishes to work or travel abroad during the AOS period.  

So to be clear, personally I recommend the IR1/CR1 spousal visa, especially for someone from a vwp country that won't generally have issues visiting. It will take longer to be together, but you will have more freedom once here.  On VJ we have often seen this to help a marriage once you move to the USA but it definitely can be harder while waiting during the process. Weigh the pros and cons as a couple and decide what's best for you.  Obviously marriagr is hard right now with the travel bans. 

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

20 hours ago, NikLR said:

As note generally the I-129F is processed faster than the I-130.  There is less of a burden to prove a relationship, you just provide evidence of meeting in the last 2 years. 

K1 generally means faster together, slower to green card and more expensive.  It doesn't take years for the AOS segment but can take up to about a year. 

Starting in October the the work authorization and travel document are no longer included in the cost of the AOS so the cost of AOS increases significantly if the foreign spouse wishes to work or travel abroad during the AOS period.  

So to be clear, personally I recommend the IR1/CR1 spousal visa, especially for someone from a vwp country that won't generally have issues visiting. It will take longer to be together, but you will have more freedom once here.  On VJ we have often seen this to help a marriage once you move to the USA but it definitely can be harder while waiting during the process. Weigh the pros and cons as a couple and decide what's best for you.  Obviously marriagr is hard right now with the travel bans. 

Hey, thanks for the information. 

So neither is a clear cut decisions...seems like each have pros and cons. 

How exactly are you expected to prove a relationship for the spousal visa

With regards to the cost increases...what is the difference between the present and proposed changes? And is the work authorization and travel document only required until you wait for the AOS

5 hours ago, jadmac said:

Hey, thanks for the information. 

So neither is a clear cut decisions...seems like each have pros and cons. 

How exactly are you expected to prove a relationship for the spousal visa

With regards to the cost increases...what is the difference between the present and proposed changes? And is the work authorization and travel document only required until you wait for the AOS

Read the guides.

Evidence of a genuine bona-fide marriage vs evidence of meeting.  You're not "proving" a marriage.  The marriage certificate does that.  The evidence of the genuine relationship with regular communication and co-mingling of lives is a little different.  UK isn't high fraud, so unless you're originally from a high fraud country the bar isn't that high.  There are lots of posts about bona fide relationship evidence.  

With a CR1/IR1 you have a green card right away so you are authorized to work and travel outside the USA. With adjustment of status you are not authorized to work or travel while the AOS is pending, so you would have to apply for those separately.  The fees are on the USCIS website.  I believe the K1 will run over 3k in total (plus travel, medical, and police certificate costs) after October 2nd if you want to work or travel outside the USA while the AOS is processing.

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.