Cristopher

Since when I am resident?

13 posts in this topic

Hello, I have a quick question. So since when I am considered a resident? I moved to Texas from Peru about a year ago. I got an appointment for my green card interview but I was wondering that if I will be considered a resident when my card is processed or from August 2019  until now. This is for school purposes. Thanks

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Haiti
Timeline
7 minutes ago, Cristopher said:

Hello, I have a quick question. So since when I am considered a resident? I moved to Texas from Peru about a year ago. I got an appointment for my green card interview but I was wondering that if I will be considered a resident when my card is processed or from August 2019  until now. This is for school purposes. Thanks

You are a resident the date the green card is issued. The date will be on the green card .

Our K1 Journey    I-129f

Service Center : Texas Service Center   Transferred? California Service Center on 8/11/14

Consulate : Port au Prince, Haiti             I-129F Sent : 4/14/2014

I-129F NOA1 : 4/24/14                            I-129F NOA2 : 9/10/14

NVC Received : 9/24/14                          NVC Left : 9/26/14

Consulate Received : 10/6/14 CEAC status changed to ready

Packet 3 Received : 10/27/14 packet received by petitioner in USA ( beneficiary never received packet 3)

Medical: 10/30/14 Dr. Buteau                  Medical picked up: 11/3/14

Packet 3 Sent : 11/10/13.. Had to schedule interview appointment and attach confirmation receipt to packet

Interview Date : 12/1/14                           Interview Result : Approved !

Visa Received : 12/10/14 picked up at Jacmel location

US Entry : 12/15/14 Fort Lauderdale, Florida

Apply for Social Security Card: 12/30/14 Connecticut

Marriage: 1/26/15

Adjustment of Status

CIS Office : Hartford                                  Filed : 3/18/15

NOA : 3/25/15                                            Biometrics : 4/15/15

Approved: 8/31/15                                     Received: 9/8/15

EAD

CIS Office : Hartford                                  Filed : 3/18/15

NOA : 3/25/15                                            Approved: 6/12/15

Received: 6/20/15

Removal of Conditions I-751

Filed: 8/14/17 at VSC                                 NOA: 8/15/17 Received 8/21 by mail

Biometrics: Dated: 8/25/17   Received 9/2/17   Appointment 9/11/17 

Approved: 10/23/18 -no interview

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline

As others have stated, it is based on when green card is actually printed. When my wife did her AOS interview it was the 4th of the month, card was printed with the 5th as her resident since date( Got lucky it was printed so fast) had it in hand exactly 7 days after interview.

Here on a K1? Need married and a Certificate in hand within a few hours? I'm here to help. Come to Vegas and I'll marry you Vegas style!!   Visa Journey members are always FREE for my services. I know the costs involved in this whole game of immigration, and if I can save you some money I will!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
51 minutes ago, Cristopher said:

Two very different things.  Residency for state ID purposes,  residency for tuition purposes,  and residency for immigration purposes are very different things and likely have three different dates

YMMV

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

~~MOved to Moving Here and Your New Life, form AOS FAmily - as the OP already has the GC and is asking about school.~~

Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline
5 hours ago, WOOSH said:

Is your question about in state tuition? if that's the case, it varies by states but in general once you have your green card, you have to work for  12 months in that state to be considered resident in order to get in state tuition.

Even different campuses within the same state university system can have different answers to this.

K-1                             AOS                            
NOA1 Notice Date: 2018-05-31    NOA1 Notice Date: 2019-04-11   
NOA2 Date: 2018-11-16           Biometrics Date: 2019-05-10    
Arrived at NVC:  2018-12-03     EAD/AP In Hand: 2019-09-16     
Arrived in Moscow: 2018-12-28   GC Interview Date: 2019-09-25      
Interview date: 2019-02-14      GC In Hand: 2019-10-02
Visa issued: 2019-02-28
POE: 2019-03-11
Wedding: 2019-03-14

ROC                             Naturalization
NOA1 Notice Date: 2021-07-16    Applied Online: 2022-07-09 (biometrics waived)
Approval Date: 2022-04-06       Interview was Scheduled: 2023-01-06
10-year GC In Hand: 2022-04-14  Interview date: 2023-02-13 (passed)
                            	Oath: 2023-02-13

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Peru
Timeline
10 hours ago, Cristopher said:

It depends on your school policy. You should ask them. I am also from Peru. My fiancé and I have a pending K1 visa process so we know it will take a while for me to get a green card. The law school in Kansas that I want to attend gave a list of situations in which in state tuition could apply in my case (for example, marrying someone that lives in Kansas (over a 12 month period), to own a property, etc).

Edited by Kittens&Pickle

On 7/31/2020 at 9:04 AM, Loren Y said:

As others have stated, it is based on when green card is actually printed. When my wife did her AOS interview it was the 4th of the month, card was printed with the 5th as her resident since date( Got lucky it was printed so fast) had it in hand exactly 7 days after interview.

Interview for Greencard?  

My wife has been here 5 years now, never had one interview for a Greencard.  She has her 10 year GC.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline
On 7/31/2020 at 9:04 AM, payxibka said:

Two very different things.  Residency for state ID purposes,  residency for tuition purposes,  and residency for immigration purposes are very different things and likely have three different dates

Add another one .. residency for tax purposes can be different as well 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline
1 hour ago, Allovertheworld said:

Interview for Greencard?  

My wife has been here 5 years now, never had one interview for a Greencard.  She has her 10 year GC.

Depends on the process each applicant is going through and when it took place .. used to be that the  interview requirement for AOS from K1, ROC were often waived. Not so now. This highlights the problems with taking our own personal experiences and thinking that others will go through the same as we did. 

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
2 hours ago, Allovertheworld said:

Interview for Greencard?  

Lucky her..  but times have changed.   May 2018 is when the policy on interviews was changed 

YMMV

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.