igoyougoduke

Poster boy now worried about losing election

50 posts in this topic

5 minutes ago, Voice of Reason said:

Guess what we did in Santa Monica before twitter came along?  That's right, we rolled over and went back to sleep as the aftershocks did their thing.  Ahh, the struggle....

You jest, but I was personally paralyzed with fear as Tom digitally assaulted me by (invading my personal space with) adding himself to my friends list on Myspace without my permission. It brought back all the history of racism, sexism, and bad 7-Eleven food I ever ate. I deserve a medal. #Survivor

Filed: Timeline
12 minutes ago, Burnt Reynolds said:

You jest, but I was personally paralyzed with fear as Tom digitally assaulted me by (invading my personal space with) adding himself to my friends list on Myspace without my permission. It brought back all the history of racism, sexism, and bad 7-Eleven food I ever ate. I deserve a medal. #Survivor

Actually, I jest not.  Even when a 20-gallon aquarium rid itself of about 11 gallons of water, we didn't have twitter to fall back on.  It's almost like we opened our eyes, looked around, realized we were still alive, and life went on.  Thankfully, growing up in a time where social media didn't rule our lives, I was blessed with the understanding that social media is not only most of the problem, it is easily avoidable.

35 minutes ago, Ban Hammer said:

do you ever dress up in lingerie and but have a headache?  if so, you're trolling.

Hmmm. Do I count the times when I just happen to get a migraine when I'm still in lingerie? I don't think those should count -- I had the right intentions, but biology took over.

24 minutes ago, Voice of Reason said:

Guess what we did in Santa Monica before twitter came along?  That's right, we rolled over and went back to sleep as the aftershocks did their thing.  Ahh, the struggle....

I grew up in Burbank as you know, and yes, I can remember the pre-Twitter universe. :) I remember Northridge very, very well. But if the tool is available, why not use it? I got up and checked that the batteries I have for flashlights and the portable radio I keep just in case were where I left them. It's a small thing, but it made me feel less anxious. We had some more aftershocks after then, and you never know. Better to be safe than sorry.

There are also the various local feeds I follow, like Venice311 and the Santa Monica PD, plus KTLA and KCAL for breaking news. It's faster on there than on their main sites or even on TV. 

Just now, laylalex said:

Hmmm. Do I count the times when I just happen to get a migraine when I'm still in lingerie? I don't think those should count -- I had the right intentions, but biology took over.

I grew up in Burbank as you know, and yes, I can remember the pre-Twitter universe. :) I remember Northridge very, very well. But if the tool is available, why not use it? I got up and checked that the batteries I have for flashlights and the portable radio I keep just in case were where I left them. It's a small thing, but it made me feel less anxious. We had some more aftershocks after then, and you never know. Better to be safe than sorry.

There are also the various local feeds I follow, like Venice311 and the Santa Monica PD, plus KTLA and KCAL for breaking news. It's faster on there than on their main sites or even on TV. 

As long as you have batteries installed for all three important devices, and a back up set for each, you'll be just fine without any outside help.  Those items should ALWAYS remain in their designated places so as not to cause confusion should darkness ensue.

In fact, you should practice "lights out" drills for all three BEFORE you need them to ensure proper utilization.

Just now, Voice of Reason said:

As long as you have batteries installed for all three important devices, and a back up set for each, you'll be just fine without any outside help.  Those items should ALWAYS remain in their designated places so as not to cause confusion should darkness ensue.

In fact, you should practice "lights out" drills for all three BEFORE you need them to ensure proper utilization.

Oh yes, I know -- we did regular drills growing up. The double-checking was my own neurotic self-soothing when I was feeling jumpy at 4:30am. They always are where they're supposed to be! But you never know, batteries have a mind of their own (I mean get removed by someone who didn't grow up worrying about earthquakes for use in other things....).

I also have one of these for emergencies: https://www.anker.com/products/variant/powerhouse-200/A1702111 You know all about summer blackouts, and having one of these around means I don't have to worry about much of anything except the fridge and freezer contents.

7 minutes ago, laylalex said:

Oh yes, I know -- we did regular drills growing up. The double-checking was my own neurotic self-soothing when I was feeling jumpy at 4:30am. They always are where they're supposed to be! But you never know, batteries have a mind of their own (I mean get removed by someone who didn't grow up worrying about earthquakes for use in other things....).

I also have one of these for emergencies: https://www.anker.com/products/variant/powerhouse-200/A1702111 You know all about summer blackouts, and having one of these around means I don't have to worry about much of anything except the fridge and freezer contents.

I'm just yanking your chain.  (though I cannot EVER see myself with a twit account) But I do vaguely remember those quakes back in the day.  As I got older, and felt them all over the world, they became more exciting than intimidating.  Then again, I have a need... a need for SPEED!!  Perhaps a tad cray cray?

That brick looks neat, but since I have a 10K generator built into my house, I reckon I'll not need one anytime soon.

Edited by Voice of Reason

3 hours ago, James120383 said:

nothing presidential about it. a disgrace to that office and the country.  only children troll. grown up 80 year olds dont do it and if they do -something mentally wrong with that person 

OK.... He is playing 4D Chess while the Democrats and the media is playing Checkers

King Me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

2 hours ago, Ban Hammer said:

or the dreaded babylon bee.........which triggers liberals.

I found out yesterday that Snopes is so bad that they try and fact check the Babylon Bee.....

1 hour ago, laylalex said:

I completely agree. I rarely look at it myself, except when it's linked to, or when I want to find out hyperlocal news. We had an earthquake here at 4:30am, woke us up. I turned to Twitter to make sure we really did feel something. It was useful because we were prepared for the aftershocks that followed. In my opinion, that's the stuff that Twitter really excels at. 

You should be happy then.... One of the last seismic stations I installed and brought online was right up the road from Pacoima.... There is a Korean Christian camp up above in the canyons.... So I was so happy that my site was able to upload everything

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline
4 hours ago, laylalex said:

. And even if you and I know he can't change the date, that doesn't mean other people don't know it.

Other people are stupid?

41 minutes ago, laylalex said:

I grew up in Burbank...

That explains a lot.  LOL

If at first you don't succeed, then sky diving is not for you.

Someone stole my dictionary. Now I am at a loss for words.

If Apple made a car, would it have windows?

Ban shredded cheese. Make America Grate Again .

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day.  Deport him and you never have to feed him again.

I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it.

I went bald but I kept my comb.  I just couldn't part with it.

My name is not Richard Edward but my friends still call me DickEd

If your pet has a bladder infection, urine trouble.

"Watch out where the huskies go, and don't you eat that yellow snow."

I fired myself from cleaning the house. I didn't like my attitude and I got caught drinking on the job.

My kid has A.D.D... and a couple of F's

Carrots improve your vision.  Alcohol doubles it.

A dung beetle walks into a bar and asks " Is this stool taken?"

Breaking news.  They're not making yardsticks any longer.

Hemorrhoids?  Shouldn't they be called Assteroids?

If life gives you melons, you might be dyslexic.

39 minutes ago, Cyberfx1024 said:

You should be happy then.... One of the last seismic stations I installed and brought online was right up the road from Pacoima.... There is a Korean Christian camp up above in the canyons.... So I was so happy that my site was able to upload everything

Timely comment!!! A friend of mine is moving back down to the Valley from the Bay Area (I started a trend!) and she is looking to buy. She is looking at a home in Box Canyon (other side of the Valley from Pacoima), which I have never been to. It's out near the Santa Susana Pass. Apparently Manson once stayed there, and there was a weird alien apocalyptic death cult or something based there in the 50s. Anyway, do you know anything about it? The house looks like it's out in the middle of nowhere, but it has its own hot spring mineral tub in the back which sounds kind of amazing.

1 hour ago, Voice of Reason said:

I'm just yanking your chain.  (though I cannot EVER see myself with a twit account) But I do vaguely remember those quakes back in the day.  As I got older, and felt them all over the world, they became more exciting than intimidating.  Then again, I have a need... a need for SPEED!!  Perhaps a tad cray cray?

That brick looks neat, but since I have a 10K generator built into my house, I reckon I'll not need one anytime soon.

LOL, I get it with the exciting thing. Alex still thinks they're cool. When they happen in the middle of the day or evening, I kind of don't mind, even if some have made me feel queasy. But 4:30am? Nope. Maybe it's a flashback to Northridge.

And the Anker brick is great! For someone who is in an apartment, it's really ideal, plus you can just shove it in the car for road trips. One day there will be long road trips again... although we are doing a short one on Saturday night after pizza (new tradition -- the dough is proving now, and used 00 pizza flour this week). We're going to drive up north to near Castaic to see some stars.

41 minutes ago, laylalex said:

LOL, I get it with the exciting thing. Alex still thinks they're cool. When they happen in the middle of the day or evening, I kind of don't mind, even if some have made me feel queasy. But 4:30am? Nope. Maybe it's a flashback to Northridge.

And the Anker brick is great! For someone who is in an apartment, it's really ideal, plus you can just shove it in the car for road trips. One day there will be long road trips again... although we are doing a short one on Saturday night after pizza (new tradition -- the dough is proving now, and used 00 pizza flour this week). We're going to drive up north to near Castaic to see some stars.

Think about it from a different perspective... in all your young years, how many earthquakes have resulted in either your death or a chasm opening before you?   Yeah, earthquakes are neat.  At least until the San Andreas causes you to fall off into the ocean.  Please give at least one hour's notice before you plunge into oblivion under millions of gallons of seawater.  Also, submit your favorite pizza crust recipe in the Exempt thread before you go.  (I have two in the fridge and two in the freezer.  Gonna be some BBQ chicken pizza here tomorrow!)

12 minutes ago, Voice of Reason said:

Think about it from a different perspective... in all your young years, how many earthquakes have resulted in either your death or a chasm opening before you?   Yeah, earthquakes are neat.  At least until the San Andreas causes you to fall off into the ocean.  Please give at least one hour's notice before you plunge into oblivion under millions of gallons of seawater.  Also, submit your favorite pizza crust recipe in the Exempt thread before you go.  (I have two in the fridge and two in the freezer.  Gonna be some BBQ chicken pizza here tomorrow!)

Very good points. It was close with Northridge -- we were not very far away from the epicenter. We escaped any serious damage where I lived, but I remember driving around months and months after the quake and there were blue tarps everywhere. Of course the 10 collapsed at La Cienega too.

Will do on the pizza recipe.

15 minutes ago, laylalex said:

Very good points. It was close with Northridge -- we were not very far away from the epicenter. We escaped any serious damage where I lived, but I remember driving around months and months after the quake and there were blue tarps everywhere. Of course the 10 collapsed at La Cienega too.

Will do on the pizza recipe.

Google the 1971 San Fernando quake.  Quite a bit of damage ensued, though I was just a kid, and mostly remember the convos of the adults in my family.  Not gonna lie, it was a scary time.  

Edited by Voice of Reason