Ann de guia

Change of marital status while on process of petition

12 posts in this topic

Hi is there anyone can help or advice.. my mom is a US citizen when she process our petition. Unfortunately after 6months she filed our petition i got married. 2011 our priority date then recently my mom received the letter that now can process the document to NVC.

Now my question is.. 

1) is there still a chance for me to migrate to US? Even my visa type now converted to f31

2) how long do i need to wait?

3) whats  best thing to do?

Now, i submitted my marriage cert(i just update recntly only after so many years pass from 2011 my mom filed got married 2012  submitt docs 2020 to nvc and its under review. They will contact me if its eligible.

I red some thread that thers no chance is it true?

Thank you in advance for your advice and help

Appreciate! Keep safe evryone

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Yes

Depends on which country you are from, Philippines?

Wait

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

1. Yes but you will have to wait for your priority date to be current under f3

2. Depends on your country. I’m assuming you are Philippines if you only just got called for F1 so for F3 it only current to August 2001, so could be another 10 years. 

3. Only thing you can do is wait.

6 hours ago, SusieQQQ said:

1. Yes but you will have to wait for your priority date to be current under f3

2. Depends on your country. I’m assuming you are Philippines if you only just got called for F1 so for F3 it only current to August 2001, so could be another 10 years. 

3. Only thing you can do is wait.

Hi thank you for your advice highly apreciate🙏Yes im from Philippines

Does my mom need a lawyer to handle my case or no need? Just submit all the necessary documents..

Edited by Ann de guia
Typo error

3 hours ago, Ann de guia said:

Hi thank you for your advice highly apreciate🙏Yes im from Philippines

Does my mom need a lawyer to handle my case or no need? Just submit all the necessary documents..

Why would she need a lawyer just to submit documents? Or did I misunderstand something?

Filed: Country: Vietnam (no flag)
Timeline

Since you're married, you need to wait for your Priority Date to be current in the F3 category.

You do not need a lawyer to update your case.  Google contact NVC.  Send in a cover letter with your name, address, birthday, and NVC case number.  Include the petitioner's name, address, and birthday in the cover letter.  Include a copy of your marriage certificate with a certified English translation.  

You probably have to wait another 10-12 years.

On 7/15/2020 at 9:24 PM, SusieQQQ said:

Why would she need a lawyer just to submit documents? Or did I misunderstand 

On 7/16/2020 at 4:57 AM, aaron2020 said:

Since you're married, you need to wait for your Priority Date to be current in the F3 category.

You do not need a lawyer to update your case.  Google contact NVC.  Send in a cover letter with your name, address, birthday, and NVC case number.  Include the petitioner's name, address, and birthday in the cover letter.  Include a copy of your marriage certificate with a certified English translation.  

You probably have to wait another 10-12 years.

Ok noted. Thank yyou very much for the info now its more clear on what we need to do. Thank you

Filed: Country: Vietnam (no flag)
Timeline
On 7/23/2020 at 12:20 AM, Ann de guia said:

Just asking only if would be better to get a lawyer to arrange the right thing to do Or we can do by itself just submitt necessary documents and  thats it. Thank you.. 

Many people successfully update their petition without the use of a lawyer.  If you are unsure, you can pay a lawyer to help you.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.