charlink

about I94 not updated with departure information after leaving US by air from JFK

9 posts in this topic

Hello, I came to US about 4 months ago on a business trip and I left for home country about 2 weeks ago by air from JFK airport. But I find that my I94 is still not updated with my departure information now (it has been over 2 weeks since my departure). I wonder if I should contact the CBP regarding on my departure information and make sure that they have the date on record? The I94 only has my entry date.

Because I may to come back for business trip in the future and don't want to have any mistake on my I94. It will be a lot of trouble if there is a mistake on I94 and I might need to travel to US for business trip in the future. And I also find out that if I try to view my "travel history" on the same I94 website https://i94.cbp.dhs.gov/I94/#/history-search , it shows "No record found for traveler" after I enter my traveler information ("name", "date of birth", "passport" and "country") . I wonder is there something wrong with my "travel history"? I can definitely see my entry information on I94, but I can't see it on the "travel history" section? And why I don't see my departure information on I94?

I have been researching online for the past week and couldn't find anything.  Can anyone shed some light on this?

Thanks a lot. 

Edited by charlink

That page does warn it can miss information. Anyway keep your boarding pass if you can. Do you have an entry stamp from your home/onward destination after that? I don’t know that CBP will be particularly interested if you try update that record online but bring proof that you left on time, next time you enter. 

In fact the site specifically says “If this travel history is not complete, there is no action to take. CBP documents travel from a variety of sources. This travel history is only a tool to assist the public and is not an official record for legal purpose.”

Edited by SusieQQQ

11 minutes ago, SusieQQQ said:

That page does warn it can miss information. Anyway keep your boarding pass if you can. Do you have an entry stamp from your home/onward destination after that? I don’t know that CBP will be particularly interested if you try update that record online but bring proof that you left on time, next time you enter. 

In fact the site specifically says “If this travel history is not complete, there is no action to take. CBP documents travel from a variety of sources. This travel history is only a tool to assist the public and is not an official record for legal purpose.”

Thanks a lot for the information. I will definitely bring the proof of my departure (boarding pass etc.) with me if I need to travel to US again in the future. I just think that it will cause a lot of trouble if my I94 and "travel history" section are not up-to-date for some reason.

So I shouldn't contact the CBP for now right? I can just keep all the proof of departure and take it with me if I travel to US again next time, right? 

Thanks a lot. 

14 minutes ago, James120383 said:

Nothing to worry. They have your airline info. It might take longer to update. 

Thanks a lot. I certainly hope that it will update. Because if it is not up-to-date and I try to travel to US in the future, the officer at the port of entry might day that my I94 didn't show I left last time, it seems that I couldn't argue with it except for showing the "boarding pass of departure". And it really create a lot of trouble and unnecessary risk. 

13 minutes ago, charlink said:

Thanks a lot. I certainly hope that it will update. Because if it is not up-to-date and I try to travel to US in the future, the officer at the port of entry might day that my I94 didn't show I left last time, it seems that I couldn't argue with it except for showing the "boarding pass of departure". And it really create a lot of trouble and unnecessary risk. 

Honestly I think you’re panicking over nothing. Please re-read the quote I showed from their website. 

I traveled to the US many times before I moved here and it never once even occurred to me to check my i94 record.  

1 hour ago, SusieQQQ said:

record

42 minutes ago, SusieQQQ said:

Honestly I think you’re panicking over nothing. Please re-read the quote I showed from their website. 

I traveled to the US many times before I moved here and it never once even occurred to me to check my i94 record.  

Yes, I see. Thanks a lot. I just find the quote from the I94 website https://i94.cbp.dhs.gov/I94/#/home

I think it said "certain types of travel history may not be provided. Please know, this travel history is a tool to assist you but not an official record for legal purpose". But it doesn't have "If this travel history is not complete, there is no action to take. CBP documents travel from a variety of sources" though.

I think I can just keep all my proof of travel in case it needs to be used to prove the departure in the future. 

Thanks a lot. 

2 hours ago, charlink said:

Yes, I see. Thanks a lot. I just find the quote from the I94 website https://i94.cbp.dhs.gov/I94/#/home

I think it said "certain types of travel history may not be provided. Please know, this travel history is a tool to assist you but not an official record for legal purpose". But it doesn't have "If this travel history is not complete, there is no action to take. CBP documents travel from a variety of sources" though.

I think I can just keep all my proof of travel in case it needs to be used to prove the departure in the future. 

Thanks a lot. 

If you actually click on the link for “what records can I access” you get the quote I gave you.

Edited by SusieQQQ

• 1 month later...
On 7/9/2020 at 11:44 PM, charlink said:

Hello, I came to US about 4 months ago on a business trip and I left for home country about 2 weeks ago by air from JFK airport. But I find that my I94 is still not updated with my departure information now (it has been over 2 weeks since my departure). I wonder if I should contact the CBP regarding on my departure information and make sure that they have the date on record? The I94 only has my entry date.

Has your i94 travel history been updated yet?

Despite what the website says, you're right to be concerned about this.  I know of a B1/B2 visa holder who had major hassles due to her i94 records not being updated.  Visa holder was a frequent traveler to the US and worked for a large company with offices in the US, the Philippines and many other countries.  To renew her B1/B2 visa, she did dropbox renewal but she was later notified to go to the US embassy.  From her visa interview --

CO:  Have you ever overstayed in the US?

Her:  Never.

CO:  I believe our records more than you.

Her visa renewal was denied.

Needless to say, she and her company were shocked.  Company lawyer found that two of the trips in her i94 travel history had blank departure dates.  Her company knew that for both trips she left the US on the dates listed on her return tickets, but somehow her i94 records were not updated.  Unfortunately for her and her company, they found out too late.

I didn't get an update on her case, whether she applied again and got a new visa.  Regardless, that one instance of visa denial will forever be on her record.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.