Kate34

My husband is threatening me [merged threads]

72 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, little immigrant said:

Block him and cut off all communication. You can come back with your 10 year green card. He has no hard evidence to back up his fraud claim. USCIS will just throw it out. Get a divorce asap and live your life. 

I've been through an abusive relationship with the threats and stuff. I flew abroad on my green card and came back just fine. I was put in secondary and answered all questions honestly. Please don't worry. If you need to talk, send me a message. 

Why were you put in secondary?

Filed: F-2A Visa Country: Iraq
Timeline

Oh boy. Sounds like you dodged a bullet. I’m so sorry that you have to go through all this. All of his behavior sounds exactly like what I endured during my first marriage. I have so much empathy for how you must feel.

You have a 10 year Greencard, which he cannot take away from you. Keep all the threats etc that he sent you.

You can block him to allow yourself to heal and move on. It doesn’t matter what he wants or does or pretends to want or do. Find yourself a nice place in the US - preferably far, far away from him. If he doesn’t leave you alone by the time you return (as in finding ways to keep threatening you via text and voice message), go to family court and get a restraining order that includes contact via text and calls. You feel threatened by him and are in fear (that’s why you left), and restraining orders are to protect you. Hopefully that will put an end to this. Once you fulfill the residency requirements in the state of your choice, you can go ahead and file for divorce. The process depends a bit by state, but I think in many states after you have him served the divorce papers by a process server, he has X amounts of days to respond. After that you can go ahead and put the divorce on the calendar with family court for final judgement.

If money is no concern, you can ask a family law attorney to handle this. I did it only because I was tired of anything that involved this person, but you can also go ahead and file for divorce without a lawyer.

6 minutes ago, Quarknase said:

Oh boy. Sounds like you dodged a bullet. I’m so sorry that you have to go through all this. All of his behavior sounds exactly like what I endured during my first marriage. I have so much empathy for how you must feel.

You have a 10 year Greencard, which he cannot take away from you. Keep all the threats etc that he sent you.

You can block him to allow yourself to heal and move on. It doesn’t matter what he wants or does or pretends to want or do. Find yourself a nice place in the US - preferably far, far away from him. If he doesn’t leave you alone by the time you return (as in finding ways to keep threatening you via text and voice message), go to family court and get a restraining order that includes contact via text and calls. You feel threatened by him and are in fear (that’s why you left), and restraining orders are to protect you. Hopefully that will put an end to this. Once you fulfill the residency requirements in the state of your choice, you can go ahead and file for divorce. The process depends a bit by state, but I think in many states after you have him served the divorce papers by a process server, he has X amounts of days to respond. After that you can go ahead and put the divorce on the calendar with family court for final judgement.

If money is no concern, you can ask a family law attorney to handle this. I did it only because I was tired of anything that involved this person, but you can also go ahead and file for divorce without a lawyer.

I am trying to do this online because I don't want to wait till I'll be back in the US, I want this over now, and my friend will serve him the papers.

I have one concern, I am reading on the divorce papers that the relationship has to be over for 6 months before I can file a no fault divorce, but it's only 5 months since I entered the US and received my green card, I am wondering if this will be a problem when I try to naturalize?

He is a terrible person, even worse than I thought. I am honestly shook.

I never thought anyone would talk to me like that and say all those horrible things about me.

Now he is saying the he is going to say that I forged his signature on the sponsorship papers so he can withdraw them and file criminal charges against me.

Yes I know he can't do anything but I am just deeply hurt by the things he is saying and accusing me of.

5 hours ago, Kate34 said:

He said now that he filed a fraud report on the USCIS website

let’s get few things cleared

he can not avoid your greencard

even if he files for fraud case on you, USCIS is not sitting there actively operating at their regular timeframe. With covid, most of their operations are shutdown. It will take years for USCIS to open the case file. (Next month they are going to furlough 13K staff)

You can come & go in USA to keep your greencard valid. But you cannot stay outside of USA for 6 months. My cousins does that for last 4 yrs.

he can not deport you. You got marrried for 3 yrs and he signed off on all docs to get you here. Make sure to keep all WhatsApp chats saved. If you do end up in court near future to defend.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Kenya
Timeline

No need to leave the country. File for divorce, and make sure you have all the evidence. Move to a new location, change phone numbers....and apply for citizenship after 5 years.

5 hours ago, Luckycuds said:

Change your phone number. You don’t have to deal with this. Save the messages from him just in case but don’t look at them- forget about him. As long as you don’t stay out of the US for a substantial period of time you won’t abandon your residency.

since you work from home move to a completely new state and start fresh: don’t stay around him.

Save the messages he sends but don't retaliate. When you come back to the US do what you have to do to be safe. The messages may help in the divorce and with getting a protective order.

Not a newbie but lost my old info years ago) I have been through this process before --all the way through naturalization-- This site has always been a great help to me. 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

There are laws that protect immigrants from abusive spouses, If you're being abused or have been, you NEED to document it, save all correspondence and messages, take screen shots of everything, I'd suggest filing a police a report but you relocated out of the US.

Laziness and reliance on others doesn't go away, it only get's worse and you'd only be enabling him,  He has no work ethic and no problem relying on a Woman to pay the bills, Sadly, you married a bum, a bum who doesn't have 2 nickels to run together let alone money for a divorce attorney's retainer.. He's all talk, ignore him and build your evidence pile, file an annulment and count your blessings that you didn't have a child with him.

Edited by nykolos

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

This sounds familiar, I think the Husband posted a week or so ago.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: France
Timeline
9 minutes ago, Boiler said:

This sounds familiar, I think the Husband posted a week or so ago.

That’s what I thought, too

6 hours ago, stech786 said:

let’s get few things cleared

he can not avoid your greencard

even if he files for fraud case on you, USCIS is not sitting there actively operating at their regular timeframe. With covid, most of their operations are shutdown. It will take years for USCIS to open the case file. (Next month they are going to furlough 13K staff)

You can come & go in USA to keep your greencard valid. But you cannot stay outside of USA for 6 months. My cousins does that for last 4 yrs.

he can not deport you. You got marrried for 3 yrs and he signed off on all docs to get you here. Make sure to keep all WhatsApp chats saved. If you do end up in court near future to defend.

Why can she not stay outside the US for more than 6 months? I though green card holders could be out for a year without needing a reentry permit? 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline

@Kate34 divorce depends on States. California will require 6 months waiting period to check if both parties want to divorce. Texas is just 2 months. You could move to Texas, if that's not your current State, establish residency for 6 months then file divorce. Maybe if you answer a few questions,  VJ members can give you answers tailored to you. 

1. What state were you guys in?

2. What's your country of origin?

Immigration journey is not: fast, for the faint at heart, easy, cheap, for the impatient nor right away. If more than 50% of this applies to you, best get off the bus.

13 hours ago, Kate34 said:

He thinks that he has the right to deport me because he is a citizen and I am not. he is harassing me, if I block him he appears in a different way and calling me names and saying I scammed my way into the country and he won't let a scammer like me to get away with this.

I know this is him seeking revenge but it still gets to me and makes me feel sick literally. my pulse is 120 and I feel like I'm going to pass out

Please take some deep breaths and do something healthy for yourself.....a walk, a phone call to a trusted friend, etc.  The good news is that you are safe in your country, and that your status in the US is not at risk.   You can return anytime.  You can choose to live anywhere, and maybe in a totally different area from him.....?  

Also, any annulment he pursues through the courts does not put your lawful permanent residence status in jeopardy.  When you get back to the US (or even before), you should get a good divorce lawyer, even if you don't have assets or children.  You just need someone who will advocate for you.  Best of luck.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

~~Non conductive post removed. Stick to helping the OP.~~

Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.