Kate34

My husband is threatening me [merged threads]

72 posts in this topic

We were married for almost 3 years, I came to the states right before the whole coronavirus thing started, and I received my 10 year GC and SSN.

Then things started to go really bad between us, my husband didn't want to work even before the virus, but now he had an excuse, he started demanding that I pay for everything because I work online and my work wasn't hurt by the virus.

We started to have a lot of arguments and then he started abusing me emotionally and threatening to hurt me("if you were a man I'd snap your neck" and stuff like that) I did not feel safe and a month after I arrived I left and stayed at an airbnb, I wanted to leave and go back to my country but there were no flights to my country due to the virus. finally I managed to book a flight last month and left.

since then my husband started threatening me on whatsapp, he is saying that he is going to get the marriage annulled based on green card fraud and that he will report me to the USCIS so I'll never be able to use my green card to come back to the states.

He also said that if I want a simple divorce then I should send him money for the rent on his apartment, I said no and he flipped even more started calling me names and said he will be going to the lawyer on Monday to file for the annulment.

I wanted to go back to the states in a few months and file for a divorce, but he wants an annulment and if he'll get it I'll have problems in the future.

What can I do? I can't file for divorce from my country and I can't even defend myself if he files for an annulment. 

Edited by Kate34

12 minutes ago, milimelo said:

Like you said, you have a 10-yr green card. Stop contact with him (May want to remind him of I-864 terms) and live your life. He’ll have a hard time getting an annulment 2+ yrs after marriage. 

If you want to divorce, do it but he needs to know divorce doesn’t stop I-864. 

I want to get a divorce, he is abusing me emotionally, I am afraid for my health, this whole thing will end up giving me a heart attack.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Haiti
Timeline
29 minutes ago, Kate34 said:

I want to get a divorce, he is abusing me emotionally, I am afraid for my health, this whole thing will end up giving me a heart attack.

Can you explain why can’t you initiate a divorce? You may be able to do it online so I’m not sure why it matters where in the world you are. Save all the messages he sends you. I’m glad you are no longer living with him because it sounds like it could have gotten violent any moment.

Our K1 Journey    I-129f

Service Center : Texas Service Center   Transferred? California Service Center on 8/11/14

Consulate : Port au Prince, Haiti             I-129F Sent : 4/14/2014

I-129F NOA1 : 4/24/14                            I-129F NOA2 : 9/10/14

NVC Received : 9/24/14                          NVC Left : 9/26/14

Consulate Received : 10/6/14 CEAC status changed to ready

Packet 3 Received : 10/27/14 packet received by petitioner in USA ( beneficiary never received packet 3)

Medical: 10/30/14 Dr. Buteau                  Medical picked up: 11/3/14

Packet 3 Sent : 11/10/13.. Had to schedule interview appointment and attach confirmation receipt to packet

Interview Date : 12/1/14                           Interview Result : Approved !

Visa Received : 12/10/14 picked up at Jacmel location

US Entry : 12/15/14 Fort Lauderdale, Florida

Apply for Social Security Card: 12/30/14 Connecticut

Marriage: 1/26/15

Adjustment of Status

CIS Office : Hartford                                  Filed : 3/18/15

NOA : 3/25/15                                            Biometrics : 4/15/15

Approved: 8/31/15                                     Received: 9/8/15

EAD

CIS Office : Hartford                                  Filed : 3/18/15

NOA : 3/25/15                                            Approved: 6/12/15

Received: 6/20/15

Removal of Conditions I-751

Filed: 8/14/17 at VSC                                 NOA: 8/15/17 Received 8/21 by mail

Biometrics: Dated: 8/25/17   Received 9/2/17   Appointment 9/11/17 

Approved: 10/23/18 -no interview

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Nigeria
Timeline
2 hours ago, Kate34 said:

You have a 10 year green card he can’t do anything to your immigration status and an annulment is pretty unlikely. You can contact a lawyer in the state you live in to start the divorce process while your overseas. You should stop communicating with your husband because he is just trying to antagonize you. You have the power to free yourself from him and the marriage and move on with your life. Save all the messages and evidence you have of his abusive behavior. 

Have you left the US for good? Or are you just visiting your homeland? If you’re not planning to live here permanently then your residency will be considered abandoned, even if your GC is still “valid”. You can’t use the GC as a deluxe version of a tourist visa to come and go, you must maintain a residence here. 

His threats are meaningless. We see that a lot here where the USC “threatens” the immigrant with reporting them to USCIS, annulment, deportation, accusations of fraud, etc. If I had a dime for every time I saw that here, I’d retire tomorrow. There is nothing, absolutely nothing, he can do to you in terms of immigration. Ignore anything he says in that regard. 

You need to consult with a divorce lawyer and move on from him, wherever that may be. Good luck. 

Timeline in brief:

Married: September 27, 2014

I-130 filed: February 5, 2016

NOA1: February 8, 2016 Nebraska

NOA2: July 21, 2016

Interview: December 6, 2016 London

POE: December 19, 2016 Las Vegas

N-400 filed: September 30, 2019

Interview: March 22, 2021 Seattle

Oath: March 22, 2021 COVID-style same-day oath

Now a US citizen!

6 minutes ago, JFH said:

Have you left the US for good? Or are you just visiting your homeland? If you’re not planning to live here permanently then your residency will be considered abandoned, even if your GC is still “valid”. You can’t use the GC as a deluxe version of a tourist visa to come and go, you must maintain a residence here. 

His threats are meaningless. We see that a lot here where the USC “threatens” the immigrant with reporting them to USCIS, annulment, deportation, accusations of fraud, etc. If I had a dime for every time I saw that here, I’d retire tomorrow. There is nothing, absolutely nothing, he can do to you in terms of immigration. Ignore anything he says in that regard. 

You need to consult with a divorce lawyer and move on from him, wherever that may be. Good luck. 

I want to go back to the states in a few months, I left my job and sold my apartment in my country for this idiot, and I have a job in the US, I currently work from home.

I won't let him ruin my life and give him what he wants which is me leaving forever. 

I went back to my country because I didn't want to stay there at that time, I couldn't find an apartment and didn't want to pay the cost of airbnb, and I was also afraid of him.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline
4 minutes ago, Kate34 said:

I want to go back to the states in a few months

If you are outside the US for only "a few months," you will be fine re-entering, you can come back with your 10-year green card and make a new life for yourself, file for divorce and move on.  He can't do anything about your status as an LPR unless he has hard evidence that you committed fraud, and from what you have posted, it doesn't appear that this is the case.  Stay far away from him, work through attorneys to finalize the divorce, and find your own happiness, just don't stay outside the US for too long.  Good luck!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline
51 minutes ago, Kate34 said:

He said now that he filed a fraud report on the USCIS website

I would suggest that you block his number, to prevent him from harassing you, ignore his threats, do not respond, he's just trying to intimidate you, so don't let him.  USCIS may or may not investigate, they are looking at laying off thousands of staff right now, and the evidence he submitted may not be very substantial, it's out of his hands anyway.  Even if USCIS investigates and finds some evidence of fraud, your LPR status could only be revoked by an immigration judge, and you would have your day in court and an opportunity to present other evidence and refute his charges.  If that happened, you should get a good attorney to help with your case, but everything you have posted makes it sound like empty words and threats to try and scare you.  Save all his threatening and abusive texts, emails, etc.  Save all the documents you have to show that the marriage was entered into with good faith, like records of shared finances, apartment lease, etc. in case you need it later.  Focus on the divorce and finding a good family law attorney in his US city to defend your interests.  Don't let him contact you, only communicate through attorneys for the divorce process.  I'm sorry that you are going through this, try to breathe, be grateful that you are away from this bad person, return to the US when you are ready, keep your location secret from him, be safe, and good luck!

Edited by carmel34

Just now, JFH said:

The bar for proving immigration fraud to USCIS is extremely high. They get calls and reports from angry ex-spouses/ex-lovers all the time. They are very well trained and experienced in telling the difference between immigration fraud and an ex seeking revenge. Don’t worry. 

He thinks that he has the right to deport me because he is a citizen and I am not. he is harassing me, if I block him he appears in a different way and calling me names and saying I scammed my way into the country and he won't let a scammer like me to get away with this.

I know this is him seeking revenge but it still gets to me and makes me feel sick literally. my pulse is 120 and I feel like I'm going to pass out

32 minutes ago, Kate34 said:

He thinks that he has the right to deport me because he is a citizen and I am not. he is harassing me, if I block him he appears in a different way and calling me names and saying I scammed my way into the country and he won't let a scammer like me to get away with this.

I know this is him seeking revenge but it still gets to me and makes me feel sick literally. my pulse is 120 and I feel like I'm going to pass out

Block him and cut off all communication. You can come back with your 10 year green card. He has no hard evidence to back up his fraud claim. USCIS will just throw it out. Get a divorce asap and live your life. 

I've been through an abusive relationship with the threats and stuff. I flew abroad on my green card and came back just fine. I was put in secondary and answered all questions honestly. Please don't worry. If you need to talk, send me a message. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Haiti
Timeline
35 minutes ago, Kate34 said:

Change your phone number. You don’t have to deal with this. Save the messages from him just in case but don’t look at them- forget about him. As long as you don’t stay out of the US for a substantial period of time you won’t abandon your residency.

since you work from home move to a completely new state and start fresh: don’t stay around him.

Edited by Luckycuds

Our K1 Journey    I-129f

Service Center : Texas Service Center   Transferred? California Service Center on 8/11/14

Consulate : Port au Prince, Haiti             I-129F Sent : 4/14/2014

I-129F NOA1 : 4/24/14                            I-129F NOA2 : 9/10/14

NVC Received : 9/24/14                          NVC Left : 9/26/14

Consulate Received : 10/6/14 CEAC status changed to ready

Packet 3 Received : 10/27/14 packet received by petitioner in USA ( beneficiary never received packet 3)

Medical: 10/30/14 Dr. Buteau                  Medical picked up: 11/3/14

Packet 3 Sent : 11/10/13.. Had to schedule interview appointment and attach confirmation receipt to packet

Interview Date : 12/1/14                           Interview Result : Approved !

Visa Received : 12/10/14 picked up at Jacmel location

US Entry : 12/15/14 Fort Lauderdale, Florida

Apply for Social Security Card: 12/30/14 Connecticut

Marriage: 1/26/15

Adjustment of Status

CIS Office : Hartford                                  Filed : 3/18/15

NOA : 3/25/15                                            Biometrics : 4/15/15

Approved: 8/31/15                                     Received: 9/8/15

EAD

CIS Office : Hartford                                  Filed : 3/18/15

NOA : 3/25/15                                            Approved: 6/12/15

Received: 6/20/15

Removal of Conditions I-751

Filed: 8/14/17 at VSC                                 NOA: 8/15/17 Received 8/21 by mail

Biometrics: Dated: 8/25/17   Received 9/2/17   Appointment 9/11/17 

Approved: 10/23/18 -no interview

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.