KingTho

Which tax software allows e-filing with spouse's SSN listed as NRA?

10 posts in this topic

Hello,

I'm eligible for Free File Online, and for the first time this year, I'm changing my filing status from Single to Married Filing Separately. Since my spouse is a non-resident alien, I need to enter "NRA" rather than a number in the spouse SSN field. However, this use of NRA rather than a number causes H&R Block's Free File Online to prevent me from e-filing (so they require me to mail the form instead -- but both international mail and the IRS's physical processing are experiencing massive delays due to the coronavirus).

I also tried TurboTax and TaxSlayer's Free File Online software, and they didn't even allow me to enter letters rather than numbers into my spouse's SSN field. I'm tired of signing up for so many new accounts with different tax preparers only to file out partway through filing that they fail in this way. I also considered using the IRS's own Free File Fillable Forms, but the IRS says they have a Known Limitation that the 1040 doesn't allow letters instead of numbers for SSN fields.

Can anyone confirm a particular tax software, preferably a free one, that definitely allows you enter your spouse's SSN as NRA and then still be able to e-file?

Someone of the forum says Taxact can efile with NRA, but just wanted to confirm that is true or not?

thank you

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Iraq
Timeline

When i was married the first year my husband wasnt home in the US yet and it is perfectly fine to file as head of household if you want to. Look it up in IRS. If you maintained the household and you did not live together for more than half the year than you are good to go.

Pretty sure this still stands for those in that situation although you may be looking to file married to use for part of this process. 

Edited by Palala2018

36 minutes ago, KingTho said:

Hello,

I'm eligible for Free File Online, and for the first time this year, I'm changing my filing status from Single to Married Filing Separately. Since my spouse is a non-resident alien, I need to enter "NRA" rather than a number in the spouse SSN field. However, this use of NRA rather than a number causes H&R Block's Free File Online to prevent me from e-filing (so they require me to mail the form instead -- but both international mail and the IRS's physical processing are experiencing massive delays due to the coronavirus).

I also tried TurboTax and TaxSlayer's Free File Online software, and they didn't even allow me to enter letters rather than numbers into my spouse's SSN field. I'm tired of signing up for so many new accounts with different tax preparers only to file out partway through filing that they fail in this way. I also considered using the IRS's own Free File Fillable Forms, but the IRS says they have a Known Limitation that the 1040 doesn't allow letters instead of numbers for SSN fields.

Can anyone confirm a particular tax software, preferably a free one, that definitely allows you enter your spouse's SSN as NRA and then still be able to e-file?

Someone of the forum says Taxact can efile with NRA, but just wanted to confirm that is true or not?

thank you

I believe that without an SSN or IITN, you will have to paper file by mail.  @pushbrk will know for sure.

39 minutes ago, Palala2018 said:

When i was married the first year my husband wasnt home in the US yet and it is perfectly fine to file as head of household if you want to. Look it up in IRS. If you maintained the household and you did not live together for more than half the year than you are good to go.

Pretty sure this still stands for those in that situation although you may be looking to file married to use for part of this process. 

HOH can apply if you did not live together during the last 6 months of the year (not just more than half), have a qualifying child to claim, and meet the other criteria (https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/married/help/can-a-married-person-claim-head-of-household-filing-status/00/26366)

The points above are requirements #2 and #3/#5 below:

Even if you were legally married as of December 31, you are considered unmarried (and therefore eligible for Head of Household) if all 5 of these conditions apply:

1. You won't be filing jointly with your spouse
  2. Your spouse didn't live in your home after June (temporary absences due to illness, school, vacation, business, or military service don't count)
  3. Your home was your child's, stepchild's, or foster child's main home for more than half the year (non-child dependents in your home don't qualify)
  4. You paid more than half the costs of keeping up your home during the tax year
  5. You meet the qualifications to claim the child as your dependent, even if the other (noncustodial) parent is actually claiming the child as a dependent on their return

Edited by geowrian

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline
23 minutes ago, Jorgedig said:

I believe that without an SSN or IITN, you will have to paper file by mail.  @pushbrk will know for sure.

Pushbrk is not a tax filing expert, but my understanding matches the above statement.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline
11 hours ago, pushbrk said:

Pushbrk is not a tax filing expert, but my understanding matches the above statement.

Good Day , hoping you can help me!

I am amending my 2018 taxes from MFS to MFJ as my husband arrive this year.

On the 1040x there is a check box asking about coverage of healthcare. It only has one check box to cover both of us with the question regarding if we were covered. My original return i checked the box as he was NRA at the time. Do I check the box again? 

I was fully covered, but my husband was not as he lived in India and not the USA. I don't know if I am supposed to check this box. I read Pub. 519 and it says nothing about what do do for that check box. 

Thanks!

NOA 1:           September 18, 2018

NOA 2:           August  20, 2019 

Sent NVC:      September 11, 2019

Rec NVC:       September 18, 2019

Case #           October 16, 2019

Docs Sub:      October 21, 2019

Doc Qual.       October  22, 2019 

IL:                    January 23, 2020

INT. Date:       February 11, 2020

APPROVED

POE  Date      March 11, 2020

GC Received  July 3, 2020

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline
1 hour ago, harden4mvp said:

I was just preparing using TurboTax.  They allow you to leave that empty. 

But it won’t meet the efile criteria if blank. You can prepare, print and mail.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.